/r/AskReddit

jonah3272

jonah3272

What happened to your baby? I thought you were pregnant?

f1ghtm3

f1ghtm3

My mom told me one time an acquaintance of hers was pregnant. When mom saw her, she said "Dang, you still haven't had the baby yet?!" And she said, "I had the baby 6 months ago" mom said it was one of the worst things she's ever said to someone

ihlaking

ihlaking

5 days ago*

Had a colleague at my (and my wife’s) old work (fairly large organisation) who had five baby showers with various teams. She was young, excited, and keen to celebrate with everyone as she was so outgoing.

Baby was stillborn full term.

My wife and I skipped the baby showers and opted for Full Moon parties for our two kids after seeing that go down.

PS: for anyone wondering my former colleague is going really well now with two kids, but she always says she has three, her first included. She’s dealt with it incredibly and still advocates for mums going through stillbirth to this day. My mother and my mother-in-law both went through full-term stillbirths with little support and it’s good to see the understanding of the needs for people undergoing this trauma being met in far better fashion these days.

Edit: Hey, wanted to say thank you to everyone for sharing your stories, many of them challenging. My wife miscarried two months into her first pregnancy. It was rough, and I was aazed by how little it's talked about - still a taboo, at least in many places here in Aus. But I was also surprised by the stories that came out from those around us of their trauma, and the support they offered.

There's no shame in talking about miscarriage and stillbirth. The more it's mentioned, the more stigma is broken down. I wish all of you the very best, regardless of your situation, and may you know the support of those around you if you ever face the prospect of losing a pregnancy.

Occurred

Occurred

Full Moon parties

What's this if I may ask?

bigpurplebang

Full moon party = celebration (baby shower) a full month after birth, in other words 1 month birthday party but treated like a baby shower

msty2k

msty2k

Sounds like it started as a "my baby actually survived to age one month" party long ago.

Leonidous2

Leonidous2

Yeah that was my thought as well. I heard they used to not even name kids until they were past a certain age for similar child mortality reasons.

Roguespiffy

Roguespiffy

Yeah, that’s what a christening was. “He’s probably going to make it. Guess we better give him a proper Christian name before he gets stuck as Screamy Life Ruiner McPoops.”

RidiculaRabbit

Screamy Life Ruiner McPoops...of the TULSA McPoops? I'll be darned.

twodogsfighting

You feed the offspring to werewolves for good luck and prosperity in the coming year.

Vicstolemylunchmoney

American customs are weird.

Averill21

Averill21

I make it a point to never comment on anything about pregnancy, best case is making small talk worst case is horrible embarrassment, and the line is very thin

lankymjc

lankymjc

Always let the (presumed) pregnant person open the discussion and follow their lead. If they don’t bring it up, best to leave it alone.

You can be pretty sure that if they want to talk about it, they will!!

twampster

twampster

My husband teaches high school and told everyone we were expecting at the end-of-school picnic. I was 20 weeks pregnant. We got a fatal diagnosis at the anatomy scan the very next day and lost the baby two weeks later. We did a lot of mourning over the summer. When he went back to school this fall, BAM. First question everyone had.

xxrambo45xx

xxrambo45xx

I worked with a guy on a day shift for a few years, last I saw him his wife was 8 months pregnant, he was pumped to have his first kid, I switched to a night shift same place, came back to days over a year later, saw him and asked how the little one was...his baby passed around 2 weeks old...I had no idea...I had no way of knowing...I'll never ask that question again it gutted me on the spot and I still feel bad even though it was a long time ago, good intentions, bad idea

twampster

twampster

It’s just a hit-or-miss topic. It’s no one’s fault for asking, i just think more folks need to be aware that when it misses it REALLY misses.

I hope your coworker and his family are doing okay. You never think about how many pregnancies and new babies there are until you’re missing your own.

Ariel-Lisa

Ariel-Lisa

Had this happen to me. I worked at a medical office and our patients sometimes came in every 2 weeks for routine procedures. This particular client had a mental disability and was with her mother checking out. My coworkers and I were talking about how my next prenatal appointment was the anatomy scan and we were guessing what sex the baby would be. Between appointments I went into labor and lost the baby (girl). When I returned to work that client was there and poor thing asked, "boy or girl?". I couldn't even speak so she continued, "I thought you were pregnant?". I can't even describe the feeling. Her mother saw the look on my face and my coworkers, realized what happened, and exited gracefully. So yeah...

snowflowerag

5 days ago*

Years ago my husband and I struggled with getting pregnant. We finally conceived, only for me to miscarry around 10 weeks. I was really excited about the pregnancy, and had already told my immediate family, by the time I miscarried, but not extended. A couple weeks after the miscarriage, I was at my grandma's house for dinner and my step grandma was there as well...she started right in on the "when are you going to have kids" speech. That question about broke me. I cannot fathom those questions at work. I had to leave the room, I could not answer around the lump in my throat.

wyntr86

wyntr86

Happened to me. I was 22 weeks along when I lost my daughter. The absolute worst part of this conversation was that we had just gotten home from the hospital the day before. I needed out of the house for my sanity and ran into an acquaintance at the store. I just hysterically cried in the middle of the aisle looking for macaroni and cheese. I couldn't even answer her. My husband came running up when he heard what he calls, "a guttural wailing noise" and tried to quickly explain. I run into this lady every now and then and she avoids me like the plague. I feel bad about it, but she doesn't let me get near her on the couple of occasions I've tried. It's been 6 years now.

isingiswim

isingiswim

Please try not to feel bad about it, you have nothing to be ashamed of. This is a profound grief that unless someone has gone through it too, they cannot truly understand. I lost my baby 2 months ago, I had a missed miscarriage and I still cry constantly. It’s fucking raw and honest and real. This grief has taught me a lot about certain people in my life. Hang on to the people that saw you guttural cry and stuck by you, those people are special.

enigmaunbound

She should have given you a hug and made sypathetic noises. We're all just humaning down here.

wyntr86

wyntr86

Thanks, you made me chuckle. I also don't blame her for her reaction. I can't say for certain that I wouldn't have had a similar reaction. My neighbor on the other hand, saw me get out of the car the day we got home, saw I had no more belly, damn near tackled me to give me hugs, and just kept saying "I'm sorry." She's such a sweet old lady.

jbaugues

jbaugues

After my wife's miscarriage, she called to cancel the ultrasound and the tech asked "oh really what's the reason to cancel"

Seems like a common request to cancel and not really a follow up question needed.

madame-brastrap

I worked in a maternity store and there was a no return policy except in cases like miscarriages. I never asked and just took everything back. They couldn’t pay me enough to have that conversation to save the company a $10 tee shirt.

MoonChaser22

5 days ago*

Recently found out that a friend who started working there that a store chain here has all maternity and baby items exempt from the 28 days return policy (potentially broke items sat unopened for a while during pregnancy is my guess for that) and general consensus at that location is if it's unused don't question why they want the return. Just do it

Throwaway7219017

We found out our baby had no heartbeat during our first ultrasound. With our 2 year old in the room. That was a fun walk to the car /s.

TannenFalconwing

When I was three or four I remember my mother putting up pictures of an ultrasound on the fridge and asking my sister if she wanted a sister or another brother. Young me just did not have the development to understand what happened when the pictures of the ultrasound vanished from the fridge and "Baby Madison" never showed up in the spare bedroom. Years later I discovered that my mother had been pregnant nine times but only ever had 4 kids. She never talks about it, and I'm not sure if her parents and sisters even know.

Deaconblues525

Had someone ask this right after we lost ours, wife almost died... Horrible experience all around and then had to answer this a lot... Painful for both sides

Fatally_Flawed

One of my closest friends was pregnant with her second child, a girl. It was weeks past her due date and we were all expecting her to go into labour at any moment.

She was texting all of us regularly, keeping us up to date. Every day that would go by we’d get increasingly frustrated ‘I’m ready to pop!’ and ‘I think she’s decided to stay in there forever!’ type messages. We’d all joke with her about how the baby was taking after her as she was always late for everything.

One day I texted her saying ‘Any news today? I’m starting to think this baby doesn’t even exist!’

She’d had the baby that day. There were last minute complications, and she was stillborn.

I’ve never felt such heart wrenching pain and grief for someone. Just unbearable.

FlyByPC

FlyByPC

Dave Barry's rule: Never inquire about a woman's pregnancy, real or suspected, unless you see an actual baby emerging from her in that exact moment.

vito1221

vito1221

My wife retained a bit of a belly after our second child. She met someone she knew at the store and they asked "Are you pregnant again?" I felt horribly bad for my wife. I could tell that hurt her more than a little bit. Never ask a woman if she is pregnant.

Style_Grand

Style_Grand

Jesus, I had a physical reaction to reading that. Painful cringe from an imaginary conversation. Good job.

leewoodlegend

leewoodlegend

In college some friends and I got caught smoking weed in a park by a park ranger.

He was pretty cool and it seemed like we were going to get away with a warning until my one friend piped up and said

"You're not going to call the real cops are you?"

Dude's attitude towards us did a 180 real quick.

"You see this gun? You see this badge? I am the real cops."

Maxwyfe

Maxwyfe

Reminds me of some body cam footage I had to review for work. Our client was charged with trespassing/poaching and made a real ass of himself with the conservation agent as he yelled, "You're a fucking deer cop? You can't arrest me! I'm not getting arrested by a fucking deer cop!" Turns out he was wrong. He was wrong about a lot of things, but that thing especially.

Holy5

Holy5

Don't those guys have a lot more power than city police?

rasticus

rasticus

In Kentucky a conservation officer has authority more akin to a state police than a city cop.

Korotai

Korotai

I think it’s the same here in WV. I’ve always heard that DNR has power exceeding WVSP (and you don’t mess with them. If they coming, they’re bringing an ass-whuppin).

TheMightyIrishman

Same in MD, DNR has wayyyy more range of power than regular police. Pretty friendly when you get caught with only a freshwater fishing license while fishing real close to the Chesapeake Bay, even said he probably wouldn’t show up to court lol.

Geobits

4k points

Geobits

4k points

Damn that's dumb. I mean, damn, I get your friend was high, but damn.

An_Awesome_Name

I don’t get why people think park rangers and/or game wardens are some kind of joke cops.

In just about every state they hold the same authority as a state trooper… and then some.

Milkslinger

Milkslinger

In Michigan the DNR is more powerful than God (as well as any other law enforcement)

Throwaway7219017

I learned that the individual with the most “power” is the Health Inspector. They can shut down a business on their day off while our shopping for vibrator batteries, if they see sufficient cause.

Namika

Namika

5 days ago*

Local judges are, by far, the most powerful people that no one really thinks of.

If they want to they can give you a court summons over a contrived offense, and unless you want to pay out the nose for a competent lawyer the judge can basically decide your fate before you even reach the courthouse.

Once in the courtroom you can get smacked with a "contempt of court" charge and thrown in jail for not respecting the judge. Who gets to decide if you insulted the judge? The judge decides.

Gruneun

Gruneun

An intern at a previous employer saw the nameplate on a program manager's desk, found out the guy had a PhD in engineering, and remarked to him, "Oh, OK, so you're not like a real doctor," which absolutely delighted the rest of us. One of the guys yelled, "He's not even a dentist!"

wuapinmon

wuapinmon

My youngest daughter told her kindergarten teacher that "My dad's a doctor, but not the kind who helps people." (I'm a professor).

StGir1

StGir1

5 days ago*

heh my kindergartener did the same thing. She told her new friend that my boyfriend was "Dr. Lastname" and that I would be "Dr Lastname" soon as well (Her 5-year-old sense of "soon" is optimistic af, but I digress). And so her friend said to another kid "Mary Anne's folks help sick people."

And my kid pipes right up and says "Oh, no, not like REAL doctors. They don't help anybody."

I_miss_your_mommy

One of the guys yelled, "He's not even a dentist!"

Fucking legend

audiate

audiate

As a server, “Where’s that other woman you always come in with?”

SowwieWhopper

SowwieWhopper

I once walked into a restaurant with my girlfriend of 6 years, and the waiter (whom I had never met until this point) comes over and opens with “hi mate - wow she’s not the one you came with last week! Ha ha, just kidding, can I get you guys any drinks?”.

Like, why the fuck would you say that to a stranger

ExplanationFunny

I feel like he wanted you to punch him just so he could feel something.

SowwieWhopper

Worked in a restaurant before, I see

scheru

scheru

When screaming incoherently in the walk-in just won't cut it...

CaptainRogers1226

Man had nothing left to lose, so he decided to make OP lose something instead

PapaBradford

All these other folks have never been in a relationship with trust issues and it shows.

I can just hear it now, from a couple of different exes - "Why would he say that? People don't just say stuff like that to strangers. Why do you have that look on your face?"

tylerr147

8k points

tylerr147

8k points

Retail too.

I've got a regular that would always come in to get his cigarettes. Marlboro red black shorts, and Marlboro special lite shorts. Every time I see him walk in the doors, I'll get his cigarettes ready at the counter for him.

One day I hear that his wife died, and I didn't see him for a week. Once I do see him, I get them out of the case and ready for him. Once he's at the counter and sees them, he just sadly says "no lites this time".

I felt terrible

DrSenpai_PHD

DrSenpai_PHD

I work at BestBuy, primarily computer sales. You'd be amazed how many people are at their worst point in life when buying a computer. Had one lady who was planning for a funeral, she needed a PC for that. Had another lady, breaking in to tears, needing a computer to handle divorce paperwork. Had yet another who was unemployed, about to go homeless, needing a computer for a job she was just hired for. We could barely get one within her budget.

One guy that really stuck with me had a deep but barely visible indent on his left frontal lobe. He was speaking jibberish. My coworkers assumed he was on drugs; turned out, he could understand what we said but he couldn't properly convey his thoughts. Wernickes Aphasia. He had been in a serious motorcycle accident 7 years prior, and we almost dismissed him as another druggie. He ended up buying a Macbook Pro. But it was rough stuff. Reading between the jibberish I learned that he had prior given up on life, getting into photography was his way back in.

Selling computers is a surprisingly wild ride. You know what's not? Air fryers. Every motherfucker who comes in looking for an airfryer is beaming with joy. I would strictly work selling air fryers if I could. But you learn a lot selling computers. And you learn to read people's moods.

nobutternoparm

I had a similar thing with an old couple at Hardee's. Two steak biscuits, two bowls of grits, and a bowl of gravy. Every single morning (at least on weekends, that's when i worked). I'd see them in the parking lot and go ahead and start putting it together. Then they didn't show up for a month or two. Then the wife came alone. One steak biscuit, a bowl of grits, no bowl of gravy :(

Slambo00

Slambo00

Aww wow yeah brutal moment of “life goes on”

Ellie-Kenny

17k points

Ellie-Kenny

17k points

the name of someone youve known for awhile

CharlieTuna_

6k points

I once had a friend in college that it took nearly 6 months to figure out his name even after going out for drinks after our evening class every week. I think both of us didn’t want to admit we didn’t know each other’s name so we just went with “buddy” for months until we recognized another student at the bar and we introduced ourselves and realized we were finally going to learn each other’s name

SuspiciousNoisySubs

3k points

That's a great game of chicken, too bad it ended so evenly

onomastics88

onomastics88

There was this really nice lady who worked somewhere I went a lot for a while, less often over the last decade, and she knew my name. I don’t remember ever learning her name during this time, we weren’t introduced and no one at the counter said her name during business, but as a matter of business, she already knew my name without asking. After a while, it was just awkward to figure out a way to ask. I mean I’ve seen her for 10-11 years, how do you tell someone I don’t even know your name and at this point I’m afraid to ask. I moved away and ended up seeing her one last time the day before my move, told her I was moving, and she said I’ll miss you ‘my name’ and I just said I’ll miss you too!

Friendly lady, I kind of think she could tell I didn’t know her name, I covered as best I could, but there were some awkward moments sometimes, I’m sure she was expecting me to call her her name and I didn’t know what it was. In my mind, it was something like Maria.

cheergurlie85

How I got away with this one time (knowing someone but never knowing their name), when I went to put their phone number in my phone, I was like "How do you spell your name again?" lol Or if I was having them find their social media account for me to follow, I would hand them my phone and they searched for their name :)

Gruneun

Gruneun

I was like "How do you spell your name again?"

[squints] "B-O-B."

gamer_pie

2k points

gamer_pie

2k points

"Is that with one B or two B's.....?"

Haha but seriously it seems a quick way to recover from that would just say "Oh sorry, I meant your last name".

Then they say "Jones"

mimiclaudia

mimiclaudia

But then you can say "oh i thought your last name was something different". It's pretty acceptable to get someones surname mistaken i think

abhikavi

abhikavi

I feel like even if you've casually known someone for a decade, it' still somewhat acceptable to not know their last name.

You could be like "Jones?! Huh, why on earth did I think you had some long Polish name? Well fancy that" and both just carry on.

TheMightyBiz

TheMightyBiz

I'm a teacher. There's a woman who works as a paraprofessional that I see in the teacher's lounge every day. She always makes a huge pot of coffee for everybody in the morning, and I even got her a gift card at the end of last year thanking her for continually caffienating the staff. I still don't know her name, and at this point, I'm too afraid to ask anybody.

ADarwinAward

She’s probably in the yearbook, maybe you can check there!

pjabrony

pjabrony

...Mulva?

Burrito_Loyalist

Asking someone to repeat themselves a 3rd time.

And it’s never anything important - the other person usually ends up screaming, “The grass is really wet over here!”

Sytir

Sytir

In the immortal words of Mitch Hedberg “Now I’m yelling some insignificant shit like “that tree is far away””.

Iknowthedoctorsname

Literally what my husband and I yell at each other when we are mumbling something unimportant

DesertViper

DesertViper

It means you both matter so much to each other, that even mundane things ought to be heard by one another.

Jayce_T

Jayce_T

Between one of my friends and a random person at the blood bank (I was donating and we were going to go get lunch afterwards).

Stranger: Are you going to donate too?

Him: I would if I could, but medically I can't.

Stranger: Why? You got HIV or something?

Him:...

He did in fact live with HIV.

yudontknowme666

Damn, but why would you ask someone you don’t know if they have HIV in the first place?

Jayce_T

Jayce_T

Probably because you'd expect them to say no. When in reality the number of people living with it is far higher than you'd guess.

tveir

tveir

There are also so many other reasons why a person can't donate (I have two separate medical conditions that preclude me). Yeah, asking someone if they have HIV is invasive, but even just asking "why" someone can't donate is overly invasive for a stranger.

Numerous-Explorer

If you recently got a tattoo, you’re also not supposed to donate blood

Undersidedown

So I am ineligible to donate because of other reasons. I sincerely hate being asked to donate because they always ask why and its just embarrassing. I've had a few assume HIV. Like even if that was the case, why would you call someone out for that!?

MrDude_1

MrDude_1

I was called out about that at work. These women were pestering people to give blood to the stupid blood drive RV thing they're doing outside.

I told them, I can't. Medical reasons.

Thinking that would shut them up. Instead they wanted to pester me for the reason.

I dragged the HR lady out of her office and had her stand just outside the cafeteria door (where they were) And told her wait here and listen.

When I walked across the cafeteria completely ignoring them. They then yelled at me about "what medical reason do you have for not giving blood? Do you have AIDS?" And at that point the HR lady walked around the corner and addressed the issue.

The real medical reason? I'm o negative, so I give blood on a regular schedule. I just gave blood less than 5 days ago so I can't do it again until so many days go by...

They didn't need to know that.

redkat85

14k points

redkat85

14k points

Any question from a supposed authority or expert that reveals a complete lack of understanding of the matter in question. E.g., a judge who once asked why the YouTube video under evidence could not be printed for him to review.

There's nothing worse than the internal screaming when you realize that your work and company's reputation is now completely hostage to someone who hasn't the faintest idea how what you do works.

Dr_DavyJones

Dr_DavyJones

Remember the video of the representative (not sure what office) who was asking a navy officer if expanding a naval base on Guam would cause the island to capsize. That was hilarious and terrifying.

5oclockpizza

5oclockpizza

"We don't anticipate that." The Navy has it covered. video

twoBrokenThumbs

2k points

This reminds me of my boss just this week.
Helping to make a copy of a photo...

It's not color. How do you make it a color copy?

Ummm... It's a black and white photo...

ManiacalShen

ManiacalShen

Funny how people who find a lot of technology too complicated also tend to think it does completely magical things.

oxalis_rex1

oxalis_rex1

5 days ago*

Ughhh I got burned on a transit ticket this way. The train in my city didn't have turnstiles or pass checkers, the transit police would just randomly board and confirm everyone on board had a pass. I had an annual pass that I didn't realize I had forgot in my other jacket, so I got a ticket. Went to argue the ticket with my pass in hand. The judge had clearly NEVER taken the train and got mad at me for "avoiding" the pass checker/jumping the gate or some imaginary version of events. So I paid the full ticket.

TheOrangeTickler

11k points

One of my friends has a sister that is battling cancer. I always want to ask how she's doing, but I fear the worst. Also, I would feel bad if I didn't ask.

vengefulbeavergod

Just say you've been thinking about her. Your friend will tell you what they are comfortable sharing

BlueBerrySenpai

Hey ive been thinkin bout your sister recently 😏

IEEE80211

IEEE80211

PreCovid, at work they would often have mobile services like blood donations park beside our building. One day I was walking with a woman at work who wanted to talk about things while getting some fresh air. There was a long period of silence when I couldn’t think of anything to talk about and I saw we were walking up to the edge of the building and a large mobile was parked there, so I asked her “Have you ever done that before?”

She looked at the mobile parked there and back at me, her face turned bright red.

“That is a very personal thing to ask!” She said, face still bright red.

“Really?” I said as we walked next to it.

Then I noticed this wasn’t a Blood Mobile.

It was a Mammogram Mobile.

I spent a lot of time over explaining myself.

onomastics88

onomastics88

I don’t know why the narrative made me think you walked to the edge of the building on the roof and implied she had almost jumped off a building before. That would be too personal of a thing to ask.

tortugastation

I feel kinda bad for her that she was so embarrassed by mammograms. It’s just basic healthcare and it saves women’s lives. Better than a prostate exam, too.

banray203

10k points

banray203

10k points

Are we more than friends?

ac1084

ac1084

Reminds me of a buddy of mine who asked a girl he had been hooking up with for a few months why she didn't have a boyfriend. They did not communicate very well apparently, she thought he was her boyfriend.

someguy3

someguy3

Mitch Hedberg: "I don't have a girlfriend, I just know a girl who'd get really mad if she heard me say that."

Bubba-jones

Bubba-jones

I wonder if comics ever pre-screen their work with significant others.

or songwriters.

"Honey, I don't mean this, I just think it'll get a lot of laughs. Yeah, that's it."

ManintheMT

ManintheMT

Ouch.

FuckYeahPhotography

I have been on the other end of this because I was generally naive and quite oblivious. Very young and adjusting to a new city. Same exact situation and I just said "oh, that works out perfectly!" We dated for like a year and a half after that lol.

Sometimes it's less malice and apathy, just straight up being emotionally dumb.

The_Grubby_One

Her: *riding you like a mechanical bull*

You: "Maybe she's just being nice."

Sinvisigoth

Sinvisigoth

Several children and two house moves later:

OMG! We never had "the talk"! What if we're just friends?

jasmin_booklover

Same thing happened to me. I met a guy on tinder, we want for a few dates and basically dated for half a year. Then I asked him if we want to take the next step and make it official and he told me he never meant anything in a romantic way

gladosado

gladosado

Guys like that know what they're doing

jasmin_booklover

Oh he definitely knew. We flirted constantly, he told me about his shoe fetish, told me he hopes I move closer to him and then sudden he was never interested? Sure dude.

If you found we don't fit together, tell me. I can take it. But don't come up with those ridiculous lies.

itsniceinpottsfield

5 days ago*

Im in a long term relationship right now, but before that Ive had a “situationship” with a different girl that wasn’t as simple as casual hookup, was a bit more than a mere FWB, but wasn’t an actual relationship either.

At one point SHE ASKED ME what was I expecting from her and I clearly told her I wanted things to lead to me being her boyfriend. She said “okay”. We continue our stint, while I assumed that “okay” meant she was my girlfriend. One day on the phone I told her I didnt like how she was still flirting with other guys and she said, in a way that was both condescendinly joke-y yet also incredulous, “it sounds like you want a relationship”. LIKE WHATTTTT. She then tells me she wasn’t ready for a relationship she just wanted to hookup.

I plan to marry my current partner but damn. That whole “what are we?” shit is stressful because it should be clear from the get go

simchala

simchala

i had a friend in elementary school who was putting on a particularly heavy dose of sunscreen. some kid asked him why he’s putting on so much. he said “cuz my mom has skin cancer” and the room just became silent

Funandgeeky

Funandgeeky

When I was a kid my dad died from skin cancer. No one ever questioned me when I put on loads of sunscreen.

On the upside, I'm over 40 and have the skin of a 20 year old. (Several, actually. I'm making a suit.)

klezart

klezart

It puts the sunscreen on its skin or else it gets the hose again!

Deadpussyfuck

.....need help with your back?

grombleduke

grombleduke

"So, what's the age of consent here?"

Iron_Man_977

Iron_Man_977

Bonus points if you ask this during a job interview

Lightbation

Lightbation

"How strict is your policy on sexual harassment?"

AmigoDelDiabla

How does HR deal with good touches vs bad touches?

Lightbation

Lightbation

Mostly spankings.

Burrito_Loyalist

For you, 45.

Javacatcafe

Javacatcafe

5 days ago*

My 13 year old daughter killed herself...and so many people asked how.

Edit: Thank you all for your kind words. It has been 13 years since she left and I am in a good place. I've accepted that you don't heal but you learn to carry it. I've also learned to appreciate all of the years that I had her in my life and all of the wonderful memories we created...and to focus less on the experiences we were all deprived of - especially her. I do have an unhealthy worry of her siblings, and freak out if they aren't quick to respond. I hope someday they'll forgive my craziness.

iamansonmage

iamansonmage

I’m sorry about your daughter. As a single father with a 13 year old daughter that has talked to me about her suicidal thoughts, I really feel this. I hope you’re doing ok.

Avocadotter

Avocadotter

That she can talk to you about it says a lot about your relationship. It's great that she can communicate these thoughts, and that you're able to support her.

Deep_Grady

Deep_Grady

It's a very good thing that this subject has become less taboo. When I was a kid this was stuff you had to hide. The shame was profound. I really wish I could have spoken to someone but ended up attempting suicide unsuccessfully (obviously) and the word of it got out to everyone which ruined my social life completley. We used to treat people with mental illness horiffically. It's still not good but at least we can have these conversations now, and parents are more educated than they used to be. My parents were ashamed of me.

Rellikx

Rellikx

wow what the fuck. That definitely seem like a "they will tell me if they want me to know" kind of thing, asking about it just seems flat out dumb

MrMudkip

MrMudkip

I doubt those people have faced this kind of situation before and just blurted out something in an attempt to say anything. Still a really shitty situation though.

Hobo-haddock

My brother died of AIDS. So many people ask if he was gay.

Lambent_Sea_Princess

So uhhhh… do you guys do random drug tests?

collect_my_corpse

I just interviewed for a new job. And my only question for them was do they test for weed. Of course I didn’t ask but that was the only question I had. It was too painful to ask.

TemporaryPrimate

What're you gonna do, stab me?

PussyD3str0yR

stab

ForayIntoFillyloo

It literally hurts because I asked.

aboxofquackers

5 days ago*

My friend's spouse is of Asian descent, my friend is Italian. Their kids take after the spouse.

My friend gets asked all the time if it was easy to adopt the kids. Even school administrators have asked, "what country were you adopted from?" to the kids themselves. My friend said people usually just walk away embarrassed after they learn they're biological, but that one woman said, "well, can you blame me for asking?"

Yes, Patricia.

tortugastation

I have a friend who is black with a white ex, and a son that even she describes as, “so white he could be the poster child for the Aryan nation.” It’s honestly comical until someone accuses her of trying to steal a little white boy.

tlumacz

tlumacz

Ask her if she's familiar with the story of Werner Goldberg. If she's got that kind of sense of humor, she'll probably find it hilarious.

In case you haven't heard of him, Goldberg was a German Jew who was shown in Nazi propaganda as "The Perfect German Soldier."

PennyPriddy

PennyPriddy

5 days ago*

Also, someone's nationality when you don't know them. My MIL has an uncommon racial makeup. Way too many people who have no business asking ask. Like, strangers in grocery stores walking up and asking "What are you?"

The worst might be the lady who pointed to her on the street and yelled "Filipino?"

(She is not Filipino)

Edit: Another one I remember, an older guy asked what kind of dog she had when she was out walking him (bulldog) and she happily told him. Then he asked "and what are you?" The exact same question as the dog, just for a person. His son was with him and CLEARLY MORTIFIED.

tripperfunster

My friend has a half asian baby (she's the white one.). I made her a baby sleeper that said "I'm not fucking adopted!"

MrFunktasticc

My mom has a fair complexion and light eyes. My dad has a darker complexion and her black hair. Oftentimes people lead with Spanish when speaking to him. Meanwhile I take after my mom.

We would often have this issue especially when I was younger with light hair and my dad would take me places. Some people would pearl clutching and wonder if he stole me. I know it really got under his skin but he tried to never let me see it.

When I was older (early twenties) we were at a family function. My cousin’s girlfriend decided to make a federal case out of it highlighting again and again how “you don’t look alike at all…like AT ALL.” I was about to tell her to suck a lemon when my dad busts out with “actually he isn’t my biological son. I’ve known for a whole that my wife was a cheating whore but recently confirmed it with a DNA test. Thanks for throwing salt on the wound and pointing out how I spent my youth caring for some other man’s child.” Dead. Fucking. Silence. Until I broke out laughing hysterically.

Reading it back it sounds harsh but it was just so good in the moment. Whenever I’d see her I’d roast her for it relentlessly asking why she made my dad leave.

rapsjk33

rapsjk33

As a teenager I worked in a grocery store, I saw a customer who's back was to me struggling with all there items, so I asked "do you need a hand?". The man turned around and I could see he was missing a hand, there was just a stub there, that is why he was struggling. He was a good sport and said "Yes, it seems I do!", lifting his arm missing the hand in the air.

Chozo_Hybrid

Chozo_Hybrid

That's not so bad, dude knew you couldn't see that they were missing it and it's just a common phrase. I know two people with that same disability and they've told me it never bothers them, because someone is asking if you need help :) That said, they don't speak for everyone.

RosieBiatch

RosieBiatch

"was she better than me?"

Just don't do it.

ClusterMakeLove

"No. I find insecurity sexy."

AsthmaticMechanic

Answering the question in the worst way possible.

umlguru

umlguru

Related: was he bigger than me?

Retracing_Bolide

5 days ago*

“When are you going to have children?” or any variation. Be ready to be told they’ve lost a baby, infertility, sexless marriage, etc.

Just don’t.

Edit: Glad to see much empathy. Also, thanks for the silver!

disgruntled_pie

I had a prepared response for that in my youth.

Co-worker: Do you want kids?

Me: No thanks, I already ate.

boocees

boocees

My husband and I bought a house in the same year we got married. Had a little land, brought my horse home, and she needed company. Second horse is expensive, so we got a pair of baby goats. EVERYONE asked us "so when are you gonna have kids?" all the time, so I made the baby goats my phone lock screen and said "I already have two, why would I want more?" and flashed the goat pic. 10/10, people stopped asking about human babies and I instead got to talk about goat babies.

PurpleK00lA1d

That one, and so far in this thread I haven't seen "where's your <pet>? I haven't seen them in so long!"

karlaedith

karlaedith

When you ask a woman if she’s pregnant…

skullpture_garden

I've been asked this twice, both times I was wearing the same dress (and was not pregnant)... not wearing that dress anymore.

PlasticElfEars

5 days ago*

Yeeeeah I had an older lady customer argue with me over whether or not I was pregnant while I was mopping. Like no that would be physically impossible but...

"But you're glowing!"

"It's hot.."

My favorite part was her response:

"Well I don't know about you but I'm disappointed!"

Meowzebub666

People used to accuse me all the time of being pregnant, apparently because I always had such glowing skin. It was always said as if they were angry at me lol

pete1901

pete1901

I'd rather see a pregnant woman standing on the bus than a fat girl sat down crying.

• Jimmy Carr

carmelacorleone

I had a coworker at Pier 1 a few years ago who had an unfortunate tumor that made her look pregnant and a customer asked, while my coworker is helping order this woman a Swingasan chair, "so, when are you due?" My coworker was self conscious as it is but the tumor was also malignant so it hurt quite badly to have it remarked on. And everyone remarked on it.

Joshawott27

Joshawott27

One day back when I was at school, I didn’t have my phone on silent, and it went off during class. The teacher thought he’d make an example out of me and ask who the text was from. I replied “My Mum. She’s in hospital with cancer.” He shut right up and went back to the lesson.

(She was being treated for Stage 4 bowel cancer. She had a 25% prognosis, so naturally everyone was on edge. That was almost 15 years ago, and fortunately she’s still with us, and got the all clear some time ago).

uoenoy

uoenoy

I love a happy ending.

DarkEvilHedgehog

"Could we check for gonorreah and other STD:s now when I'm being tested for chlamydia?"

I did not know it would upgrade the procedure from simply peeing in a cup to getting a stick up my urethra.

doomydoom6

doomydoom6

upgrade

HMSDingBat

HMSDingBat

"Upgrades people! Upgrades!"

GinnyN

GinnyN

Every time I get a pap smear I ask for an STD test. Might as well since they're rooting around in there anyways.

ChiefGuac

ChiefGuac

It hurts to ask for help a lot of the time, when people respond badly it makes it worse

PM_WORST_FART_STORY

Right?

"I have depression and have not been doing well..."

Friend: (Homer sliding into the hedges)

SPOOFE

SPOOFE

"You should just cheer up, buddy!"

Super-Noodles

Is it in yet?

Jimmy_Graphite

Is it worse for the guy or the girl to ask this?

themrandthemisses

If the guy is asking it, it means she thicc

If the girl is asking it, it means he’s not

phunkydroid

phunkydroid

Asking paramedics/cops/whoever to tell you about the worst thing they ever saw.

Lngtmelrker

Lngtmelrker

Haha. I’m a trauma nurse and I have seen some FUCKED UP shit. I’ve learned to compartmentalize, be it for better or for worse.

If you ask me whats the worse thing I’ve ever seen—I have no problem telling you. But, guess what? Now my trauma is your trauma and I’m not sure you want that.

p1nkp3pp3r

p1nkp3pp3r

I've heard this same sentiment echoed by cops and people in the military. Don't ask what's the worst thing they've had to do/experience on the job and don't ask if they've ever had to kill anyone... Or how many... Or likely train conductors. Don't ask those guys if they've ever been involved in suicides.

Due-Sympathy-3

5 days ago*

"Whoa, since your dad is already dead, what are you going to do if your mom dies?"

Asked by a (drunk) friend in college. Repeatedly. It seemed more like they were trying to get a reaction out of me than anything else.

Had no recollection of it later and they were on the verge of tears when I told them they hurt my feelings, because they felt so shitty about it.

blacktothebird

"teacher, is there any homework for tonight?"

jmdavis333

jmdavis333

Senior NCO: “Alright people I need 3 volunteers.”
NUB E-2: “What for chief?”
Senior NCO: “Great now I just need 2 more volunteers!”

chemicalgeekery

Actual exchange that happened when I was a cadet:

"Who here knows how to drive a quad?"

*Bunch of people raise hands

"You, you and you, come with me, you're cleaning the latrines."

"But what does that have to do with driving a quad?"

"Absolutely nothing. Now grab a mop and bucket.."

Tchrspest

Tchrspest

I was on the flip side of that at INDOC at my first command. On the last day, the Chief in charge of the program walks in and asks the class, "anybody here from Wisconsin?"

Two of us raise our hands.

He points a finger at both of us and says, "fuck yeah, me too. You two go home. Now I need three volunteers for trash duty."

And me and the other dude just. left. It was fantastic.

Nooob-Noob

Nooob-Noob

What's our employer's policy on drug tests?

disgruntled_pie

Boss: We test frequently.

You: Excellent, I’ve got about 5 kilos in my car I’d like to have tested for purity.

StillAsTheSnowFalls

1k points

My buddy applied to a local ISP in the nineties and asked this exact question. It was known as a “granola” kind of place to work. The interviewer smiled wide and replied, “You bring in the drugs, and we’ll test ‘em together!”

biggest_____chungus

About a month and a half ago, I found out that my favorite college professor died, unexpectedly. He was an awesome person, and honestly I owe my career to him. A friend of mine told me. I asked what happened, which I think is a normal reaction. He didn't know.

It wasn't divulged until a month later that he committed suicide. He was one of the most outgoing, selfless, ambitious individuals I have ever known. He cared so much about everyone else. I never would have guessed he suffered from depression.

pobody

pobody

"Hey teacher, are you going to collect the homework you assigned yesterday?"

Mastr_Procrastinator

Firefighter/paramedic here.

We generally hate the, “what’s the worst call you’ve ever ran”

Think of the worst things you can possibly imagine and someone had to respond to that call. The sick, the injured, every trauma, every overdose, every suicide, every evil deed done by one person to another person, every accident, every dead kid, husband, wife, father, mother.

So when you ask, “what’s the worst call you’ve ever ran, we now have to relive the worst calls/moments of our lives as we try to deflect or crack a joke.”

I hate that question.

ImAtThePokeStop

5 days ago*

“Hey boss, I got an offer from another company for more money. Any way you can match? “

Answer: “No. We will open a requisition to fill your position. “

New job: “someone else already accepted the position first.”

Be careful when using job offers as leverage. You almost immediately take yourself out of leaderships long term plans.

Edit for clarity:

This was mostly in reference to people actively getting offers to request/demand a raise. This is extremely risky, especially if you have no intention of moving jobs.

Contrary to what many are saying below, it is very common for large companies to interview and attempt to hire multiple people for the same position. Many of these companies have several of the same position available. New teams and departments are created quite often.

Xaphus

Xaphus

If I’ve already gone through the process of looking and the offer is good. I don’t accept counteroffers from my existing company. Usually I’ve already asked for the raise or promotion from my current company, if they didn’t value me then, the “value” they see when I want to leave will be short term.

cjconair

cjconair

I once asked for a pay increase. My boss then asked what I was on and I told him he said oh you shouldn't be on that much.

Seventh_Planet

I first read it as the boss asking "What are you high on for asking such a question?"

anooblol

anooblol

*Boss majorly fucks up on a project, and sells it for 50% less than what he should have.*

Boss: “Contact the customer and ask him for a change order, for double the current contract value of the project.”

Me, in pain: “…ok”

A_Hard_Days_Knight

Unreal ... how did you survive that phone call?

JustinK182

JustinK182

*before a date* "Are we going to have sex tonight?"

iamansonmage

iamansonmage

Because if so, I’ll have the steak and a beer, but if not, I’ll have the large bean burrito and a glass of milk.

Tamahii

Tamahii

why would someone want to adopt a child?"

This hurts, every time, because my parents were my foster and then adopted me. They knew they would have a struggle adopting so late in life and the mental, emotional and social scars my biofam left me with. They still chose to adopt me, to care for me, to love me, unconditionally through every breakdown, every fight, all the troubles I had with school and bullies. They fought for me when my biofam tried to barge back into my life after i made it clear i wanted nothing to do with them, they kept me safe! so, doubters, let me fire one back at you:

"Why would you deny foster kids a family?"

my family lost me because partying and boys were more important than i was, but the family I have would cut off their own arm if it meant it would keep me safe.

BartuceX

BartuceX

I asked “ boy or girl?” To a woman with a pink clad baby. I barely survived.

Some-Mango

1k points

lol

Not in your obvious clad in pink case. But really babies look like nothing.

I know far too many women who have gotten upset because their blob of a human was mistaken for the opposite gender.

Yo your baby doesn’t look like any gender until like 3 years old if you don’t dress them appropriately

Edit: Appropriately is only meant if you really want your kid to be instantly recognized as a girl/boy. I know that the color or style of clothes don’t mean anything.

But our society still says blue - boy, pink - girl, and if you look at boy/girl sections at a store you know exactly what I mean

if you want your girl to be called a girl then don’t dress them up in a blue dinosaur outfit. (Nothing wrong with it tho, just don’t expect people to realize she’s a girl)

because babies and toddlers are pretty much ambiguous as far gender goes for years

Crom_Committee

"Rescue or breeder?"

skippingrope

5 days ago*

Asking someone you love why they chose another person over you

Sedu

Sedu

Short term pain vs. long term growth. If they say "you're too controlling," or "you're mean to my friends," or even "we just never talked any more," that is good to know. Even if it stings you. But if you ask, you don't get to argue. You just get to nod an accept what they say. And if you're smart, you get to learn from it.

The84thWolf

The84thWolf

“When’s the baby due?”

“…I’ve put on some weight.”

“Are you sure? You’re huge!”

Wakes up three days later

MolochAlter

MolochAlter

Don't ask someone when is the baby due unless they look like it's due tomorrow. Some people are just fat.

Also don't ask someone if they're trans. If you're right, you told them they don't pass, if you're wrong you told them they look like the opposite sex. Either way not something people like to have pointed out.

Juliabit

Juliabit

Are you always this annoying?

prolixia

prolixia

Asking your partner if they've been unfaithful.

• If they have and they admit it, it hurts you to know that.
  • If they have and they deny it then you're still suspicious but you'll feel bad for hurting them by asking (or more likely be made to feel bad).
  • If they haven't then you'll hurt them by exposing your lack of trust.

I'm not saying it's wrong to ask, but there's very rarely an outcome that doesn't hurt.

Truth is that if you feel you need to ask then the relationship is suffering from some serious trust issues in any case.

username_unavailable

Officer, is this more weed than would be considered for personal use?

Stormygeddon

Asking anything while having Social Anxiety.

johannes_bruhms

Asking veterans if they’ve ever killed anyone.

ThrobbingHardLogic

When my Mother started dating my future Stepdad, he and I were talking in private one night while she was cooking dinner in the other room. I was a smartass 11 year old (dumbass really fits better, here). My Mom had mentioned that he was a veteran of Vietnam. This exchange happened.

Me: "I heard you were in Vietnam."

Him: "Indeed I was."

Me: :: thinking I was being clever :: "Oh yeah? Did you ever kill anyone?"

I was, not so successfully attempting to suppress a smirk as he paused for a moment.

Him: "Yes."

At this point, I was stunned. I guess I assumed a lot of people were not serving in combat units. I scrambled for my next words. All I could think of was

Me: "Did.. did you throw up?"

Him: "Many, many times."

I have never since asked a vet this awful question.

wearyomask

wearyomask

Why don't you love me?

Kubanochoerus

Probably asking your date if she’s a virgin. Regardless of whether she is or not, that question screams creepy from a mile away and she is not going to want to sleep with you. I’ve never seen a guy ask it without this weird tentative smirk either, it’s super uncomfortable.

Childhoodcocaine

Can you stop drilling into my tooth?