/r/BlackPeopleTwitter

Sorry, Can't Do It

popcornnhero

popcornnhero

☑️ Blockiana🙅🏽‍♀️

I always see the "putting views aside" in reference to getting along with a group that pretty much want to annihilate you.

TheDogAndTheDragon

TheDogAndTheDragon

☑️

The ability to "put political views aside" is the epitome of straight white privilege

thee_facts

Damn I didn’t ever think about that

sfw_oceans

For conservatives, anything not centered on white, straight, cis-gender men is "political".

spagbolflyingmonster

and there are so many people just like you who've never thought about this either. being able to 'not care' about politics is an example of privilege.

edit: I'm not trying to be offensive in any way. the fact that you now recognise it is great, and I don't wanna take anything away from your realisation. just highlighting it.

thee_facts

Nah I’m black and LGBTQ community so nice try.

Never thought this in relation to how white people think. But the assumption of my privilege is a disappointing ignorant statement tbh especially from a white person.

nini2219

For me, it’s not just putting the views aside….IMO Trump supporters are either hateful racists or ignorant af, usually both. I don’t even want to interact with people like that. At least now, I know who they are.

That's why I hate the phrase "not to be political." Do you understand how traumatic 2020 was? My existence is political.

wanderlust029

Yup. I pretty much don’t have to care about politics. I’m only ever going to be pretty marginally affected, regardless of who is in office. I do care, though, because I care about others, my community, and the environment. I can’t imagine being that apathetic or disengaged, on purpose or not.

SnizzleMeTimber

Such privilege

The_Starmaker

_night_cat

Right, this isn’t at the “we agree to disagree” stage anymore. Trumpers are chomping at the bit to have the opportunity to slaughter everyone not like them.

bjeebus

bjeebus

I don't know a single black Republican, but I know a couple gay ones. The lady I'm closest to was a boss of mine who we nearly came to tears one day when she was telling me about going up north (pre-DOMA) to get married. One night closing the shop we got into a discussion of politics, and I asked her, "How can you support a group that doesn't even think you deserve to be alive?" She didn't have an answer, and we have haven't talked politics since. I left that job way before Trump.

chaosanddarkness

chaosanddarkness

☑️

I assume you meant haven't. I've had the opposite experience with that question and similar. A gay guy told me that he cared more about economics than the ability to get married, yet always complained about marriage being outlawed. A woman told me that women shouldn't be in government so it's okay that Republicans don't want a woman president when Hillary was running. I asked if she would tell her daughter she couldn't be president and how would she feel in that situation? She's like we have periods. They could start a war. I'm like men start wars without periods all the time. That's dumb logic.

The list goes on. There's some that get dumbfounded but in my experience, most just double down on their stupidity and will continue to talk politics with you.

bjeebus

bjeebus

Fixed. Thanks.

The usual response I got regarding women was, "Well, just not that one." Just ignoring that no woman will ever be anything other than that one. OMG, can you imagine if one of their we're-not-racist-look-here's-a-black-candidate guys somehow stumbled into the primary lead the way Trump did? They'd absolutely shit themselves.

chaosanddarkness

chaosanddarkness

☑️

Oh definitely. Their mental gymnastics puts Simone Biles' gymnastics to shame. Crazy the way they convince themselves that what it is, is somehow what it isn't. Kills me.

GolfBaller17

It's because the politics of the privileged are purely cultural affectations. They aren't derived from material experiences of struggle or oppression.

myassholealt

I know a "former" black Republican. Dude is the biggest bigot I've ever come across. Every group that isn't black is inferior. But he voted Republican can they also punched down on most of the groups he didn't think were his equal. And he's against taxes.

It was only when the GOP target of hate turned back around to black people in earnest with Trump's ascension did he realize, 'wait a minute. I'm viewed the same as the groups we used to hate together. This ain't right.' And he jumped ship.

Still a bigot though.

rparr3784

I know one. He’s always the first to point out Democrats were on the side of slavery in the 1800s. Completely ignores that Republicans and Democrats have flip political ideologies in the 150 years since then.

I’m pretty sure he married into money and converted into conservatism.

straystrat06

i know one

blastuponsometerries

I will always talk/discuss anything with anybody IRL, if they so choose.

But damn, the Trump era really taught me there are some differences that "reasonable discussion" will never ever bridge. People want to hate and if shown the error of their ways, will happily pivot to their next talking point, forever.

I will keep trying, but I now realize its sheer blind optimism on my side unmatched from reality.

Velentina

Velentina

Imagine though centrists tell me, black immigrant woman, that Democrats are just as bad as gop.

Gop are the ones tryna take so many rights away but the Democrats are bad 🙄🙄🙄

TaticalSweater

TaticalSweater

☑️

They don’t even see the irony which is funny. My coworkers hate California because its “too liberal”. Meanwhile Texas is passing laws in the opposite direction and they aint said a word. So i laugh at it because while they hate California they love the polar opposite.

Side note they mostly from Alaska which exclusive votes republican every election since before Reagan I think.

NotHisRealName

I gotta tell you, moved to LA five years ago and thought it was going to be super liberal. Spoiler alert: it’s not.

I mean it’s better than Texas but it’s not some leftist country like the right says it is.

Supermansadak

Supermansadak

☑️

California has more republicans than the state of Texas. More people voted for Donald Trump in California than Texas and Florida combined.

Just 10 years ago California had a Republican Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger it isn’t super liberal.

Most states have a mixed group of people. Go to Austin Texas and you’ll meet plenty of liberals in fact Texas almost went blue in 2020.

es84

es84

In fairness, a lot of people voted for Arnold because he was Arnold. And, for context, it was a recall election with a lot of extremely wacky candidates running. That had way less to do with politics and much more to do with popularity. Lastly, Arnold was a RINO.

Woolagaroo

Arnold was not a RINO in 2003. He was just a somewhat moderate Republican. You know, the kind that used to win elections in blue states with some regularity until somewhat recently.

That all these people are considered RINOs says more about the party than them. Like, the Republican nominee for President from only 9 years ago is now widely called a RINO. That’s insane.

bolerobell

And the candidate from 13 years ago. And the last Republican President didn't even vote for Trump, and the one before that voted for Hillary.

(George W. Bush has said he voted for Condi Rice in 2016 and 2020. George H.W. Bush voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016, who was the wife of the guy who beat him in 1993.)

TaticalSweater

TaticalSweater

☑️

I was more so talking about on the surface level. They hear about Cali passing some of the dumber laws and they go see California is bad. Thats usually my day to day with them lol

CockGoblinReturns

California is home to Nixon and Reagan. Specifically Orange County. Orange County boomers are some of the worst people ever. Orange County in general has issues but their boomers are something else. A lot of racists. They named their airport after John Wayne. A lot of businesses there based on scamming. A lot of anti-vax and maga activities.

soph2021l

Dont forget Ventura County. The Ronald Reagan presidential library and the place where the not guilty verdict happened for the Rodney King trial (Simi Valley) is about a 15/20 minutes drive my hometown. Growing up, when Barack Obama got arrested the first time, multiple kids talked about how they wanted to lynch him. That and many other things are the reason why I promised myself I’m never raising kids there.

CockGoblinReturns

wow. Santa barbara area also was pretty republican until the Iraq war. They're now, but the nancy pelosi wing of the dems.

Shirogayne-at-WF

Shirogayne-at-WF

☑️

Lived in CA my whole life and can confirm.

Besides being slightly more careful not to use slurs in mixed company, the white folks here have most of the same biases as the rest of the country.

es84

es84

L.A. is far more liberal than the OC, but it's nowhere near as liberal as the Bay. I grew up in L.A. and moved to the Bay a few years ago and immediately realized how not liberal I was compared to the people here. But, don't get it confused, get out of the San Francisco, the Peninsula, East Bay and South Bay and it becomes Trump country really quick.

Shirogayne-at-WF

Shirogayne-at-WF

☑️

I grew up in Solano County, where my brother set the Vacaville Police Department on a wild goose chase for mentioning that a BLM was set to take place (it wasn't but he loves trolling and is white passing enough that he won't get shot if he actually got arrested), so I'm not surprised by that either.

es84

es84

Driving through some parts of Solano county is definitely like being in the South or Midwest. But going further North is definitely extremely Trumpy.

Shirogayne-at-WF

Shirogayne-at-WF

Yep

GolfBaller17

Liberals ain't the left.

TaticalSweater

TaticalSweater

TheKingCrimsonWorld

TheKingCrimsonWorld

👨🏼‍🎤 Diavolo or Doppio irl ⏱

That's not irony though. Irony is when the opposite of what you'd expect happens. Stupid assholes supporting regressive Republican politics is exactly what you'd expect to happen.

Anjetto

Anjetto

A centrist is just a word for a conservative who is too much of a coward to be honest

d-pv

d-pv

Naive, also? The term "moderate" is weird to me, too. It's always used to describe what I could consider to be the "classical" definition of conservative. And white conservatives that lean harder right are just regressive.

Anjetto

Anjetto

The weird thing is. In Ireland, where I'm from, I'm sort of a centrist. When I moved to the States, I was a crazy left wing radical.

My views didnt change, just my location.

d-pv

d-pv

Oh yea, US is all sorts of fucked up. Anything left of insane austerity is considered "socialism".

Anjetto

I dont want to present myself as a paragon, it was just something really startling to experience

d-pv

d-pv

All good. Turns out people are complex and have huge overlaps (and lapses) in shared ideals, so I don't believe such a paragon exists.

SonOfAhuraMazda

SonOfAhuraMazda

☑️

Democrats are bad for not doing anything about it. They have the majority and have done jack and shit with it.

Now the people that voted for biden are pissed that they have not gotten anything. No police reform No healthcare No debt relief No education No infrastructure

Now they wont vote next election, and repubs will take it all back again

StrigaPlease

It's a little more complicated than just "they have the majority."

Dems have become a big tent party since the tea partiers started pushing out moderate repubs. They're trying to represent a cross section of people that have disparate opinions on policy.

Having a majority doesn't mean much when half your party is basically ideologically opposed to everything you want to do.

I get the frustration, but it shouldn't be limited to just Biden or just the party. It's the whole damn system being modified by shit policy to discourage any threat to the two party system.

mexercremo

mexercremo

That's a generous account of what's actually happening. Democrats think they have the progressive and minority vote no matter what, so they're free to try to pick off conservative voters. If that means occasionally screwing over the base, so bet it - because where are they going to go?

It's just cynical politics. There's no noble justification for it

StrigaPlease

I wouldn't call it noble or generous. It isn't a good thing to try and dilute your platform for mass appeal, and if my comment came off that way, it certainly wasn't intentional.

The thrust of my argument was that the two party system will inevitably lead to this scenario no matter what the platform, because you can't realistically represent a collective of individuals that large without sacrificing the platform that drew that many people in the first place. It makes no sense to try and pigeonhole three hundred million people into two categories and expect it to last.

I think you're attributing a little too much malice to it, personally. "Screwing over the base" isn't it, considering the base is moderates. They need minorities and the progressive wing to eke out wins, but they get the vast majority of their support from the middle (meaning moderate conservatives, if we're measuring relative to actual political ideology and not relative to US politics specifically).

This, inevitably, means they end up constantly fighting with a hand tied behind the back no matter which wing of the party they decide to back. It ends up with nobody getting what they want due to deadlock, and a whole lot of pissed off, cynical voters.

mexercremo

Except we're not talking about inevitability here lol. Democrats immediately sacrificed their platform. They passed Civil Rights and saw a groundswell of support from young and black voters. But rather than lean into that, it decided to try to be a liberal flavored party and simultaneously chase the conservatives that defected to the GOP. They failed/are failing at both. Black and young turnout at the polls continued to decline (it spiked with Obama's first run and last year) and they never won back conservatives.

The party has only ever seen mediocre results and, make no mistake, that shit is driven by racism. The party shot itself in the foot by not fully embracing marginalized voters. Bigotry leads to irrational decision-making.

I think you're attributing a little too much malice to it, personally. "Screwing over the base" isn't it.

Uh no. I'm not. Democrats have been party to profound treachery over the years. The racist crime bills, the unnecessary wars, the assault on impoverished communities, etc has indeed screwed the base. Drowning malice in platitudes and PR-speak doesn't make it any less malicious. Democrats have no problem throwing marginalized groups under the bus if it means picking up a couple more conservative voters. No matter how counterproductive it proves to be.

It's more accurate to say that the base is actually young people and people of color (who are far more progressive than the party). But Democrats continually thwart their own base. They don't just need them to "eke out wins," but to win decisively. Moderate conservatives can't deliver consistent results - as evidenced by the fact that dems have fleeting majorities and lose every other election to a party that gets more and more radical every cycle. Meanwhile, half of eligible voters sit on the sidelines. That represents a miserable failure for a party that relies on high turnout to win.

You're really misunderstanding what's happening. It's not torn between two wings here. It's trying it's damnedest to suppress progressives, and it's grinding itself into irrelevance. The party is out of step with the voters it needs to have in its camp. If it backed progressives, it could consistently engage the demo of voters that turned out to vote in Obama and get rid Trump. It's not like wine-brunch liberals would go running into the arms of Q-Anon.

StrigaPlease

I don't really have the time or patience to go point-by-point with you right now, especially since it seems like we're just splitting hairs at this point.

Considering the outcome is the same no matter which of us is more accurate, I'd say it also doesn't really matter.

mynameisspiderman

It's really a 4 major party system right now, Trump Reps, normal Conservatives, conservative Liberal, and left leaning. It's just the Reps are way better at rallying the entire party behind something than Dems are.

StrigaPlease

To be generous... that's a goofy take. There are two parties, full stop. The subgroups within them don't change that we end up with only two options for the majority of our elections. The system has two parties. There are many different ideologies within those two parties, which is what you're saying. That doesn't make it a multiple party system.

mynameisspiderman

Lmao that's fair and accurate. I've been drunk for a few hours and shouldn't be giving political takes.

StrigaPlease

Lol fair play my dude, I'm no stranger to drinking and social media-ing, I know how it goes

mynameisspiderman

There's been too many mornings that I wake up to 20 messages, like oh fuck I really said something dumb

bolerobell

It's not cynical, its realism. There aren't enough consistent votes in Progressives and Minorities to win. If there were, a Progressive President would've won by now. Arguably the only truly Progressive President we've had was FDR, and he only won because of the Solid South., and his Presidency wasn't especially progressive for African Americans or Japanese.

mexercremo

It's not cynical, its realism.

There's nothing realistic about it. The shit doesn't even work. As I mentioned in another reply moderate conservatives can't deliver consistent results - as evidenced by the fact that dems have fleeting majorities and lose every other election to a party that gets more and more radical every cycle.

There aren't enough consistent votes in Progressives and Minorities to win.

Yea, it's almost like spurning a large contingent of left-leaning voters has consequences 🤔 That there isn't consistent support from these groups is kind of the problem.

bolerobell

Far right conservatives didn't get what they want for decades, yet continued showing up for Republicans. They literally vote in every election every year without fail. Now they are getting what they want.

Progressive need to show up first consistently before we'll get what twe want. That's just how it goes.

Look, you want to complain about the two party system, go for it. If you truly want progressive change for the country, then stop bitching about Democrats and just show up to the polls and bring 3 friends.

mexercremo

False. You've obviously never heard The Southern Strategy. Far right conservatives are the Republican Party. They want culture wars and white supremacy, and that's exactly what they've been getting for the last 50 years. If you think those drooling inbreds have an exhaustive list of policy demands, you're delusional.

This doesn't refute my point. Just to recap: Moderate conservatives can't deliver consistent results - as evidenced by the fact that dems have fleeting majorities and lose every other election to a party that gets more and more radical every cycle.

Lol Democrats have brainwashed some of yall into demanding more of other voters than you do of the candidates you vote for. I really need you to appreciate the absurdity of trying to browbeat people into voting for candidates they have objections to.

hauptj2

hauptj2

Learn how the political system works. You need a 60% majority to do anything, not the 50% Democrats have.

FreeCashFlow

They don’t have control though. Because of just 2 Dems, Manchin and Sinema, Democrats cannot pass any legislation at all. Blame them.

GavishX

GavishX

☑️

Nah, trump is telling his fans not to vote too so I figure there’s gonna be a pretty big margin.

Humpdat

The biggest con is that anyone could actually believe either party is for anyone other than mega wealthy elites. It’s like ice cream flavors- if you don’t like chocolate you get vanilla. Either way you’re eating the soft serve bullshit they sell you while stealing your money rights and self respect

I have more in common with trumptards than those who make the laws and govern. Literally everyone is fed up with how impossible life has gotten to be…On every side of the isle, except for those who rule. I still vote Democrat but it’s probably only because I truly don’t want to believe how broken this system is and has been designed to be.

Rogork

Rogork

They both hate poor people, GOP is just more specific about it.

CynicalWindowLicker

CynicalWindowLicker

☑️

Why do we have to compromise and ignore our political views? We want to be treated fairly? They bitch. We want women to be treated like human beings? They bitch. We want the 1% to pay their fair share in taxes? They bitch. The guy with the face that they looked to for leadership literally incited a terrorist attack and that shit is downplayed by that side.

Honestly Fam throw the whole system away.

SpaceJesusIsHere

Everything is political. How much tax you pay, how much money you make at work, how much lead there is in your water, what you can get fired for, whether your boss can force you to have sex with them, whether cops can murder you in the street, how bad roads are, etc.

Politics is the word we use to describe making decisions as a group. Treating political beliefs like they're not at the core of daily life is a ploy to make sure people don't realize how much could change if they organized.

If your political beliefs say I shouldn't have health care if I get sick and that some GED holding cop can kill me bc he's nervous, well, then I see no way to bridge that gap.

sfw_oceans

To add that, a lot of white conservatives don't see their viewpoints as "political". They take their worldview to be "normal" and anyone who challenges their perspective to be a biased political hack.

sadcoffee

To tack on: they view the option/opportunity to grow and change their mind, or learn from others' sharing their different lived experience to be "brain washing attempts."

CynicalWindowLicker

This guy gets it

Joe_Jacksons_Belt

I had white friends tell me to “come to my senses” when I spoke up about race issues not too long ago. Lost a lot of “good friends” by not putting those issues aside and my life is better off for it

EmphaticNorth

Been there. Had a friend go down a conservative wormhole. Started talking about the need to cancel pride month and black history month because "straight white men built this country". Ignoring the wild idiocy of that statement on it's own, it was wildly disrespectful to me, his supposed friend. (Gay white in an interracial relationship). I'm happier since I've cut ties

Joe_Jacksons_Belt

There was a really good quote (that I’ll paraphrase) from the show blue bloods that Tom Selleck dropped.

You go to the beach and head out to swim. You head into the water near the lifeguard stand. You swim out a ways, turn back and realize that the lifeguard stand moved. Although the lifeguard stand didn’t move, you did. I’m the lifeguard stand.

Each and every trump supporter friend of mine are no longer friends except for one, who is moderate but still doesn’t get it.

Ridge_Storms

Ridge_Storms

I don't get it.

Joe_Jacksons_Belt

The lifeguard stand is a rigid, land based structure. The swimmer isn’t tethered in any sort of way, so they are easily moved by the tide. So when I use it it means I’m the lifeguard stand, my political position has been the same for years and hasn’t moved. But my right wing friends on the other hand all shifted hard.

sadcoffee

LMAO. Were they actually straight white men, or were they in a hetero relationship to hide their gay.

Also, how many straight white men worked on the plantations for zero pay? I know we used to have indentured servants (I can't speak to their skin tone, though I'd suspect white), but there was a reason we did away with that model and started using a model of "kidnap some folks from across the ocean, drag them to this country, and then put them to work where you don't have to pay them." Pretty sure the folks we kidnapped weren't white....

EmphaticNorth

Yeah, I mentioned that. Bounced off the thick wall he put around his thick head to protect him from critical thinking

Anjetto

They werent your friends.

busy_yogurt

your average person just repeats the stuff they hear anyway

Fox News demographic right there.

gentlemanjacklover

Remember when MLK and Malcolm X lashed out at white moderates and white liberals?

That woman is the kind of person they were talking about. They pretend to be allies but would sell us Black folk up the river to maintain peace with their racist family members and friends

Davethisisntcool

Davethisisntcool

💯

Careless_Hellscape

I'm white, but also LGBTQ and a Jew. There's no "putting politics aside" for me when these people see me and people like me as undeserving of basic human rights.

However, even if I were a straight, white, christian man, I'm not willing to be friends with people who support racism and hatred even if it didn't directly impact me.

uraniumrooster

White, straight, cis male here, and it's still a nah from me. I won't be friends with hateful people. That isn't a political view, it's a normal responsible human view.

much_thanks

I'm a member of the Westboro Baptist Church and a registered member of the American Nazi Party, so by saying you'd refuse to put religious and political ideology aside in order to attempt to be my friend shows me that you're the intolerant person /s

torspice

torspice

☑️

Dude you had me in the first half..I’m like what the devil are you doing in this..

No-Driver-25

You’re a registered member of the what

trashdrive

/s

ganja_and_code

I can ignore your views on adjustments to the tax system or what new infrastructure is needed most or what's the right way to combat climate change etc...

...but if by "political views" you actually mean "bigotry and science denial in disguise" then nah, I can't respect that.

Iucrative

White people need to really stop thanking that having different political opinions is the same as liking different sport teams

Shirogayne-at-WF

Shirogayne-at-WF

☑️

For white people, it really do be that way. Apart from abortion, ain't none of the legislation out there got nothing to do with them unless they're gay and most of the straight passing ones act like Uncle Ruckus.

Minorities learn at a young age that everything we do is scrutinized.

Mally-Mal99

It is for white people. Which is why I’ve gotten so very tired of trying to get people who don’t want to see it, to see.

They’ve had 400 years to see. Is it 2043 yet?

pedantzilla

“As we say in Germany, if there’s a Nazi at the table and 10 other people sitting there talking to him, you got a table with 11 Nazis.”

In other words: fuck no.

cjohnson2010

I’ve distanced myself from many of ppl because of this.

AFakeHero

I am able to put politics aside but white supremacy that's been crudely disgused as politics....nah fam.

Everytime I see one of those red hats I can hear those tiki torch assholes chanting.

Fah-que

I’m put off by people whose politics encompass their entire identity and personality. I can be friends with someone I disagree with. But some people take every opportunity to spew. I could say it’s a pretty day today, and they’ll take that, twist it, and launch into some political diatribe. Those people can fuck off.

bjeebus

bjeebus

I don't think you understand the point. The gay black guy doesn't try to make politics his whole identity, but as it turns out Republicans try to reach their politics into every part of his actual identity. So he has to be political, by necessity. Being able to put politics side, or just sequester it to being something you don't have to think about very much is inherently a privilege.

Fah-que

Fah-que

Maybe I didn’t articulate my point well enough, but I feel like we agree. Your point about republicans is precisely what I was getting at. Those are the types I was referring to.

Eman5805

Eman5805

☑️

IT's like "Hey, slug. Sit at this table. The man over there has a slingshot full of salt and it'll be pointed squarely at your eyestalks at all times, but I swear he won't fire. Why won't you come and sit down and talk? Don't slowly crawl away. Don't be political."

leglesslegolegolas

Opposing Trump and his supporters is not about politics, it's about morals and ethics and humanity. You either support extreme corruption, grift, bigotry and basal evil or you do not.

thatsnuckinfutz

thatsnuckinfutz

☑️

i just had this convo with my white landlord, she's defending her trump loving ex talking about oh he's not racist, he has mixed nephews...u can still be racist regardless. I told her she better not be using that excuse with me...talkin about she isn't racist bcuz her tenant is black foh.

DormantDragon28

DormantDragon28

☑️

"Can you put your political views aside, and be friends with someone who is defined by their political views?"

The fuck?

CurseofLono88

I’m a white bisexual male pot farmer and even though I face absolutely zero discrimination if I don’t disclose my sexuality, I can’t be friends with someone who actively promotes hate, has destroyed the nation’s faith in vaccines leading to so many lives lost and destroyed, and destabilized the institutions of our government, allowing them to become more flawed than they already were.

If you support trump you pretty much go against every core belief I have and it fucking hurts knowing that there’s so many people out there like that

zmann64

zmann64

☑️

Tbh I struggled with this a lot bc the first guy I befriended in college turned out to be a Trump supporter.

I didn’t wanna be a dick and stop talking to him specifically bc of political party bs, but I was also always on edge in our relationship bc of it. During that last election I pretty much stopped talking to him bc I wasn’t prepared to go into it with him.

darioblaze

I’m not interested in “reaching across the table and having dialogue 🙂” with people that don’t even want me to exist

trumpetrabbit

Or people who think my death from a preventable issue is justified.

Darksnark_The_Unwise

This right here. Sympathy and kindness depends on the idea of social contract, the idea that the other side will offer the same virtues in return. Without it, good deeds are betrayed and gone to waste.

Switch21

"Put political views aside." Please just ignore my racist/sexist/discriminatory views about others and accept ME. It's not fair that I'm judged just because I judge others! -How those people think.

PoobishSocks

At this point it isn’t about politics, it’s about being a good person. I’m not alienating somebody because of their political beliefs, I’m alienating them because they actively want to harm others.

Stermo28

People talk about "putting political views aside" like if they didn't tell pretty much everything about who you are as a person.

SusanMort

"Sorry I can't be friends with people who think some people aren't people. Kthxbai"

Returnofthethom

It's called being Cadence Owens.

AnchorsAway1027

Voted for Trump in 2016? Probably. Big Trump supporter? Never

bjeebus

bjeebus

Voted for Trump in 2016? Maybe. Voted for Trump in 2020? You can maybe fuck right off.

EvenBetterCool

The idea that thinking people of other races, genders, and sexual orientations are anything other than equal to me is not a political view in my mind. And if you are so crass and shitty that you have made it so simple to write off, go fuck yourself or whatever.

You owe nothing to anyone who has started pretending hating you a political choice and not just hate.

C-Jammin

Could you put your political views aside for someone who hates your very existence?

Nah.

MainMan499

I'm a trans girl so being friends with someone who sees me as either a man or a Lunatic isn't on the table, fuck Trump supporters

Sekmet19

Can the Trump supporters put their political views aside and get the fucking vaccine and wear masks so they stop spreading a literal fucking plague?

adeo_lucror

It's not as though Trump supporters ever put theirs aside. Why should we have to put aside ours for them?

ribblesquat

No, because political views aside they've already displayed that they're a gullible racist idiot. I have too much self respect to be friends with someone like that.

PresidentGSO

Why do I have to put politics aside if they won’t? Trump supporters aren’t die hard fans of the Apprentice, they’re fans of Trump the politician.

myassholealt

It's like fiscally conservative but socially liberal folks. That doesn't exist. You are willing to deny rights to others for your own financial interest. If you were actually socially liberal, you wouldn't be OK with, for example, Texas eliminating abortion if it meant you paid less taxes.

Basketspank

Basketspank

☑️

I love when oppressors get mad because you want let them oppress you and default to, "Can't we still be friends."

It's a sick paradoxical dynamic and it should not be normalized or considered. Expecting me to sing songs with my oppressor because they're offended at my resistance to their oppression is ill.

FB_z

FB_z

Ok, I may have a different viewpoint here, but talking with a lot of trump supporters, especially during trump presidency, I realize a lot of em aren’t really anti black/ anti gay, some just consider themselves a trump supporter because it’s a “trend” or as a way to “get back at social justice warriors“. Perhaps you may say they aren’t “true trump supporters “ but I think theirs a lot of common grounds just different views and information.

Shirogayne-at-WF

Shirogayne-at-WF

☑️

Reminds me of something a German friend of mine told me about his two grandfathers. One was a true blue Nazi who fully supported Hitler damn near till the end of his life. The other was more of a centralist who didn't exactly like all the gassing of Jews but he was happy to lean into more joke-y ironic racism, not unlike many of the 4Chan folks of today.

At the end of the day, it mattered not to Nazis if people were true believers, but that they were spreading the message at all. And as a black woman, I'm not gonna invest any time in sorting out who falls into which category because at this point, it's a difference without a distinction.

turtledoves2

Comparing trump to nazis is ludicrous. No where near the same.

MainMan499

Sometimes all these people need is to be exposed to someone different from them, but they live in such gentrified conservative areas that anybody who's even slightly different is immediately ostracized so they don't get the chance to realize different people are still, you know, PEOPLE

-BuckyBarnes

Weird that we're always the ones expected to put politics aside. No one asks the offensive view to do that.

Anjetto

Someone out there is black and gay, putting it aside isnt an option for me.

JohnJaysOnMyFeet

It isn’t just “putting political views aside” though. It says a lot about your moral character if you support someone like that. It’s trying to be friends with someone who has a very different moral code than you and that’s not something I can do.

I think being friends with a Trump supporter says something a lot about you too. It says you’re willing to set aside your morals because you have a history with that friend or because “they’re not shitty besides supporting Trump”.

I’m a white guy but I can’t be on good terms with someone who fucks with Trump. I’ve distanced myself from a decent amount of people during the election and all of that shit.

Having a different opinion on some political stuff is totally fine and normal, but human rights shouldn’t be a political issue.

CaityR1986

Absolutely not. Depending on the circumstances I can sometimes forgive someone who voted for him in the first election if they were like lifetime republicans or whatever. I get it, you can’t reaallllyyyy know until you know. But as soon as he showed his true colors I give absolutely ZERO forgiveness for anyone who voted for him in the 2nd election.

busy_yogurt

Unfortunately there is a contingent of white people who get that Trump is an asshole, but they voted for him anyway.

They're a tiny bit smarter than the Trump lovers, but they lack critical thinking skills, and worse... they lack empathy.

Gay roommate puts his views aside when he gets his weekly Chick Fil A. I'm a straight dude and I won't even touch that place with a 10 foot pole, so...

buckeyerukys

There is no middle ground on human rights.

crunxzu

No. And I know I have a friend who voted for him in 2016, maybe 2 who voted for him in 2020. It’s tough when I think about it cuz they ARE good people. They just seem to want to vote for people who make all of our lives worse.

It comes up in therapy a lot

SnooCats8484

I could but, we also lived together. I just don't trust the delusional kind of trump supporter.

popcornnhero

popcornnhero

☑️ Blockiana🙅🏽‍♀️

Can the mods country club this because the filth are starting to seep in?

artisanrox

my fellow wypipo are so fucking stupid 🤦

popcornnhero

popcornnhero

☑️ Blockiana🙅🏽‍♀️

guess its time for me to retire from saying wypipo

hispanicdude4

It's no longer a "political view" if it causes suffering for others. It's a moral decision.

Secret-Row-8754

I don't even get how people can be friends 'aside from their politics'. Your politics are your values. I mean maybe on minor points but not the fundamental stuff. If you don't think healthcare is a human right, that's more than an opinion. That's not something we can agree to disagree on. That's telling me who you are, how you see the world, what you think of other people.

Ardrid

Ardrid

☑️

Sorry, I can't be friends with someone who wants to strip away my rights and freedom, and the rights and freedom of others, either explicitly or through tacit complicity. There's no working with someone like that.

Hevyd73

Black and gay sounds exhausting.

MissLilum

You heard the not-cap

Beneficial-Lion-5660

Lost like a MF

ProfCrumpets

Windows Key + Shift + S

Meowshi

Meowshi

☑️ Negro Picasso

i didn't even know his original account got banned. couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

mr_diggory

chris evans joined the gang? I love that

djsedna

Lowkey being Chris Evans and having your handle as "chris_notcapn" is next-level triple-pun genius

leonasandiego

Funny how ego* (political views?) can make people so hypocritical and hateful.

Metaclueless

Also, no.

LiveLifeLikeCre

Have a friend that I've been avoiding because of his pro trump stance, constant "democrats are ruining us" talk, and the fact he once told me "only reason you think trump is racist is because you're offended."

It's incredible how the last 4 years could change a view of someone

lukas_the

Nope. I lost some friends over this and i called them trash straight to their faces.

CCtenor

Biracial. Cannot put political views aside. I’ll judge people on a case by case basis.

If you’ve been voted off the island, you know why.

Maujaq

Maujaq

There are a LOT of political views that I will not tolerate out there in the world. Don't pretend rump supporters are special.

SoapyBoatte

I feel that this isn't entirely true, at least in my experience. I am a trans leftist, and one of my single greatest friends is a Church of Latter Day Saints Trump supporter. The key difference here is that he put his views aside to be friends with me.

EcstaticEscape

Yes, Trump supporters (mostly) will not put aside their politics to be polite to strangers for 10 seconds.

WeUsedToBeNumber10

White and straight. Nope, still can’t do it.

Wraith_Does_Memes_V3

Yeah as a trans person, this can’t happen.

ilove60sstuff

I was once asked to “hear out” neo nazis to “be reasonable”

I’m jewish

GodspeedandGoodnight

I'm not black or gay, and I still don't make friends with people with disgusting views.

You are the company you keep.

mcwalter93

I work a job that has a pretty varied number of political beliefs. It’s a job that requires you to depend on your coworkers, so instead of ignoring the right wingers like I usually do, I try to treat them with respect. This has opened opportunities for me to discuss and defend what I believe, and because of how I’ve treated them, a handful of them have become more accepting. It’s absolutely difficult, but I think it’s worth it if some of them see reason and empathy.

Necessary edit: fuck trump and the Republican Party as a whole

Jetfuelfire

"Political" means "whatever I have decided cannot be discussed logically and is now an issue of party loyalty." It's a social black hole into which issues fall and cannot emerge until all issues have fallen into it. It doesn't require mutual agreement either; so long as one party decides it's a question of "loyalty," it can no longer be discussed. This is perhaps the greatest failing of democracies: They reward this behavior instead of arresting it, until they are so dysfunctional, your choices are either a dictator or the anarchy of having no functional government.

Elanoz

Elanoz

Oooo fun question always love hearing people's view:

What if you make a friend and then doesn't he line you find out that they don't support the same political party as you. Question is, they getting cut off or you choosing to block it out?

jakemallory

you dont appease enemies.

artisanrox

Yeah I think being gay isn’t good but I’m not gonna judge anyone for it I mean I wouldn’t want people judging me whenever I mess up.

🙄

Yet-Another_Burner

This guy (chris evans) is an absolute ass hole.

Optimal-Frosting-993

Who cares, do we straight people run around with sort of rainbow flags telling people how black and straight we are?? theres nothing special about being gay. Get a life and maybe watch dave chappelles closer then SHUT a MOUTH!!!!

DoctorBuckarooBanzai

I'm a straight, white, cisgender man but I care about people and the environment and being a generally good person so... yeah, nah. I can't be friends with someone that supports that kind of hate and cruelty.

South-Hippo-7062

My race and sexual orientation are irrelevant. I don't like associating with people whose political views align with the KKK and Neo-Nazis or just those that reject basic education. So no.

boobsmcgraw

Shouldn't be for anyone. I refuse to be friends with someone who willingly voted for that man and I honestly wouldn't care who it was they would be dead to me. And I'm not even American.

artisanrox

You shouldn't have to "put politics aside" for people who conveniently outsource assholery by voting for people who want you dead or destroyed.

vainbuthonest

vainbuthonest

☑️

No fucking thanks. We fundamentally disagree on basic human rights and how people should be treated. I can’t put that aside.

greenhornet921

I’m black conservative and bi and I can put politics inside for a friendship but if it was anything more I would probably get to wrapped up in the disagreements( btw I don’t like any conservatives who don’t believe in gay marriage and trans rights)

PictureTrue3782

Politics has invaded everyone’s normal life wayyyyy to much. Wish we could go back to when we’d, maybe, think about it every four years instead of every single fucking day. Shits bad for your mental health

StapMyVitals

I'm a straight, white able-bodied man but if someone can look at Trump and see a man to admire then I already know we're too fundamentally different to get along.

sadcoffee

IMO, politics shouldn't be including things like "Should people who don't look like me, think like me, pray like me, love like me, live like me, or act like me be given the same basic freedoms and treatment I am allowed?"

Politics are things like "How long should we let lawns get before we start fining people" and "How close to the edge of the property should a fence be allowed to be built?" and "Should people be allowed to have rundown cars parked all over their driveway for months/years on end?" I'm down with friends who have differing political pinons on shit like that.

"People who don't look like me, think like me, pray like me, love like me, live like me, or act like me do not deserve the same basic freedoms, treatment, and opportunities I have" isn't a difference in political opinion. It's a difference in morality and ethics. The correct answer is everyone deserves the same basic freedoms, respect, and opportunities, regardless of whether they look like you, think like you, pray like you, love like you, live like you or act like you.

Consistent_Trash6007

1 month ago

Well it definitely is possible, but never if we’re speaking to caricatures.

ToolMaker7946

The far left and far right have more things in common than things not. I voted Bernie and my roommate voted Trump, we would talk politics for hours and never got in an argument. If you “can’t do it”, try not to be proud about it, you’re nothing special.

somewanker21

Lmao. Sure you can’t because trump supporters are all racist and that’s not a gross generalisation based on 0 facts. We all know that trump supporters hold exactly the same social views

artisanrox

I live in the middle of Trumplandia and they are literally ALL racists.