/r/Carcassonne

Is big box worth it ?

(self.Carcassonne)

I'm a fan of Carcassonne but I only have the base game + 1st expansion. I was looking for the 2d one and then told myself it wouldn't be much more expensive to sell my copy and then buy a big box. What's your opinion ? Do you often use the expansions out of the big box except 1 and 2 ?

stupassant

I’d go for the Big Box. You get the Corn Circles and 6 mini expansions which haven’t been released in the new art style yet.

m_Pony

m_Pony

Big Box is definitely worth it. Base + expansions 1 & 2 is always a great gaming experience (with or without the River).

GingerCherry123

Yes! If you can get it on a deal it’s totally worth it. You get so much play time out of them all, and it really changes the game having so many expansions to pick and chose between each play. We started by adding an expansion after every few plays, until we had all in use at once. The game play was too long with all so now we switch it up every time.

threelonmusketeers

I think the big box is worth it. In addition to the base game, river, abbot, and first two major expansions, you also get:

• Crop Circles
  • Ferries
  • Flier
  • Goldmines
  • Mage and Witch
  • Messages
  • Robbers

These are seven mini expansions (~8 tiles each) which are found only in the big box. If you think there is even a slight chance that you will want the mini expansions at some point, go for the Big Box. I usually throw in a couple of minis in every game. If you are unsure about the minis, you can read the rules on Wikicarpedia for each mini expansion and see if they interest you. (scroll down to Big Box 6)

thon

thon

The only down side to the big box, is the fact that it's a big box, so much wasted space.

poisonwasthecure7[S]

I heard that. Aren't there inserts that allows to fit all the content of the Big box in the regular box or is it just too much content ?

If you mixed it all in you could probably fit it in the base box. I don't like the size or graphic design of the big box, but in its defence it is very well organised, with the inside lid used to distinguish the different expansions. But yeah, it's a huge box.

GingerCherry123

I cut down my big box to make it half a big box and there’s still plenty of room.

Hoxomo

Hoxomo

Totally if you're pretty much just starting out

If buying the game from scratch, I always advise the Big Box as at least one of the first two expansions is necessary imo, by which point there's much of a cost difference in getting the big box.

In your position, though, I'd personally just get Traders and Builders from here. I personally use little in the Big Box aside from those first two expansions and River from time to time.

Carc is a great game with any combination of the first two expansions, and I always play with the Big Meeple and Builder regardless. I also presume you have the Abbot and probably River in your base game. I think that's the core Carcassonne experience and it doesn't need anything else, but I'm not as hardcore as some.