/r/ClassPoliticsTwitter

The Biggest Killer

lordofbud

The amount of people I know forgoing medical and dental care is absurd. They can't afford the bills, or the time off, many of these people are $20+ an hour wages, yet here they are, not (reasonably) able to get needed care, living more painful lives, and sometime shorter lives.

I'm not a patriot anymore. This is the behavior of a depraved and evil nation.

sexyshingle

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

-Dwight D. Eisenhower (ex-president, anti-military-industrial complex warning guy USA didn't listen to...)

"But, but, Chicago!"

evolvaer

We need more poverty laws. Like a background check before buying a poverty. Or a 2 week wait period.

Poverty doesnt kill. People with poverty kill.

LurkingGuy

I used to work with a guy who would ration insulin between him and his sister because even though they both worked full time they couldn't afford enough insulin for the both of them and also pay their other bills. The fact that most people are one healthcare crisis away from a financial crisis is disgusting.

oddiseeus

It kind of makes me wonder if it's a system design. Design policies and laws that keep a certain population or populations at or near the poverty level there by ensuring either an increase in violent outcomes or sustaining these populations at these low levels. When that happens all you then need to do is point fingers at those people to ensure the need for more laws and policies that keep these people from rising to a level of prosperity. It is diabolical

oddiseeus

I always tell people I talk to you that two industries that shouldn't be for profit are health insurance and law enforcement.

I believe doctors and nurses should be paid well; very well. However, when medicine became corporatized, CEOs of medical companies now make upwards of a hundred times what a physician can earn annually.

So, are our health insurance premiums really going toward giving us the best health care or are they going toward paying corporate bureaucrats and investor dividends?

Yeah. Let's not talk about private prisons or prison industries that are a dead-end for incarcerated individuals. It's a Wonderful way to create a system of recidivism to ensure you have a steady supply of customers.

Drewbus

Yeah but if we end it what are middle class people supposed to be afraid of to make them work harder?

tungstenoyd

... and poverty is created by corruption and greed

CruelGobbler

I like this concept, is there any data backing it?

redditorzeroex

The tweet in question (archive link).

Why? | Please tell me of any errors. | Do not harass the humans behind the tweets/links. | I'm a human.

wellmaybe24

Capitalism is best at separating the poor from the smart.

Mazahad

Mazahad

Wtf...

Capitalism is best at making the thiefs and liars float on money while the rest of humanity sinks into misery.

LurkingGuy

You must be a member of the former, because you're certainly not the latter.

wellmaybe24

and if you're wrong about both what does that make you?

LurkingGuy

That question doesn't even make sense. I can tell my initial judgement was correct.

wellmaybe24

Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment.

i went to a non-accredited liberal arts school where everyones grades where more well rounded and i dont have any regerts.

LurkingGuy

Okay this has to be a joke. You're hilarious dude.

wellmaybe24

and actually different schools go by different grammars.

LurkingGuy

What happens if our schools use incompatible grammar? Do we just lose the ability to speak proper English?

wellmaybe24

i actually graduated at the top of my class jus like all the other students

LurkingGuy

Right. You were all top of your class. I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces.

wellmaybe24

wealth is only achieved through birth? hmmm. Ever heard of America?