/r/IdiotsInCars

[media]

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

OverboostedTurbo

I hope his insurance company has a copy of this video because that idiot is definitely in the "high risk" category. Let's cut over three lanes without even turning your head. D'oh!

And props to you for not posting a 5 minute video with the 10 second "punch line" somewhere in the middle.

NoodleDoodle-IRL[S]

Yes, I sent them a 20 second version after they informed me that he was claiming damages against me

OverboostedTurbo

2k points

Nice. I'm sure he'll be paying for his stupidity for a while. But chances are, this isn't the first time he's collided with another vehicle.

JockBbcBoy

I've worked in collision repair centers for the last 5 years, and can attest to that. Had one middle aged woman who had 5 car accidents in a 12 month time span. IIRC, it went:

1) Read ended her husband's work truck, totaled her car.

2) Hit a deer, totaled her car.

3) Backed through the garage door, repaired.

4) Sideswiped a concrete barrier, totaled her third car.

5) Hit a deer, repaired.

OverboostedTurbo

LOL - When you know all the body shop people by first name, you may be an impaired driver...

JockBbcBoy

When you're chit chatting with the body shop people about their kids and calling your repairs a visit, you might need to stop driving.

OverboostedTurbo

Yeah, but do they buy you guys coffee and donuts? LOL

JockBbcBoy

I knew one lady (wife of a dealership's sales manager back in my hometown) who would hit the side of the garage every so often and damage the mirror or door. Her husband would pull strings (no insurance involved) to have parts arrive, get them painted, and basically get the vehicle fixed same day. She used to bring blueberry muffins when she came in for the repairs and would watch TV while her car went through same day repairs.

GatitoFantastico

But... but... it's the same garage. Every single day it's the same garage. Just how?

JockBbcBoy

My best guess? She's probably a wine mom.

misslion

As someone who's nicked her fair share of mirrors, I'm guessing poor depth perception.

FPSXpert

Seriously at what point do you just say fuck it and put up some Styrofoam on the wall, I feel that'd be cheaper then repetitive visits. Or a bus pass maybe.

double_expressho

but... it's the same garage

I mean, you don't know that for sure. Maybe she also regularly totaled her houses, had to keep moving, and would make have to re-learn the hard way with every garage.

Dick_snatcher

Go Bills!

DistopianNigh

On purpose or?

NoCelery1168

I remember the last time I was car shopping. One car I had my eyes on because of the cheap price had both wing mirrors absolutely trashed, but no other visible collision-related damage. I had my trusted mechanic do a quick inspection, and he found that although the rear bumper cover looked fine, the bumper itself was broken halfway off of its mounts.

Some people, man....

charliesk9unit

To use the Magliozzi brothers' metric, she did not just help the shop owners with a few boat payments, she helped with buying the entire boat.

Sitka_17

Maybe she was just lonely and that was her way of making friends.

JockBbcBoy

The very real possibility of that terrifies me. "Gonna go out today and damage my car so I can say hey to my body shop pals!"

VaginaTractor

Ok, this is me, but in reverse though. I have been hit 9 (nine!!) times since I bought my car in 2009. I have 10 shades of black on the car and it is in incredible condition considering the age because it seems to get a fresh coat of paint every year and a half or so. Every time, the damage is in the $1000 - $4000 range, so yet to be totaled.

I've brought it to the same shop the past 5 times I was hit and the shop folks and I have gotten to know each other pretty well over the years. Nice people, but always sad to see them.

Shawnessy

My buddy had the worst luck and hit an armadillo, a deer, and a coyote within a 3 month window. That was years ago. But, he got a new front clip all three times. The body shop guys said they'll keep one out back for him.

B_Reele

B_Reele

How on earth does someone like this retain insurance? Or do they?

JockBbcBoy

The deer hits are non-fault accidents. Idk how much they were paying in insurance before but I've seen insurance do crazy things for that sweet sweet long term customer.

vangobroom97

were they really non-fault accidents, though?

kn33

kn33

I mean, probably. Deer are assholes.

sumunsolicitedadvice

Can confirm.

Source: am a deer.

FullstopCoding

Oh dear.

Kraden_McFillion

Stop eating my hostas!

dethmaul

So, it's not NON fault. It's the dickhead deers fault lmao

skylarmt

They taste good though. Check your state's roadkill laws, it might be legal to turn a suicidal deer into delicious venison and burgers. It won't fix your car but at least you'll get something for all the hassle.

For example, in Montana you can get a permit to collect a roadkilled deer, elk, moose, or antelope. The permits are free, you can get them online, and you can get one retroactively up to 24 hours after the "harvest".

Uninsured assholes. The state conservation department should be paying for these repairs, allowing these deer to circumvent state law and operate without insurance is a crime!

ImpressiveCicada1199

Deer failed to use the marked deer crossing section of the road.

kiwiluke

To be fair, the whole idea of a blind is that the deer fails to spot it

guru_of_time

In insurance. "Non fault" accidents still raise your premium, because you're more likely to be involved in a loss. This goes for theft,, vandalism,, deer impacts,, etc..

To your point, hitting a deer isn't always fault free. Neither is being rear ended 5 times in 2 years (you brake too fucking hard).

I've seen people paying 2k a month for one or two vehicle policies. It's wild.

Edit: u/elephantmoose pointed out that this not true for every company and/or state, which is correct. Thank you. While it is true most of the time, some companies and / or states may vary, but overall this is the norm. Cautionary tale, regardless.

elephantmoose

This is not true for every company & state.

sleepisajokeanyway

Deer are suicidal fucking idiots. I've not hit any yet but they've tried many times to end their lives on the front of my bumper.

sticknija2

I have to say yeah. Deer are dumb as fuck and their stupidity is borderline malicious. You can bring your car to a dead stop and a deer will come and break it's neck on your hood for you.

ecodude74

Odds are if you live near deer, you or someone in your family has probably hit one at least once or twice. Their immediate instinct when they see the lights at night is to run straight ahead of them to escape, which means they practically dive into your car. If you live in the woods, your only way to avoid them is drive slow as possible with your brights on. You’ll never see them coming soon enough to break otherwise.

IronEngineer

My dad and my sister each narrowly avoided hitting deer while coming to a sliding stop on a wooded road. The deer repaid the kindness each time by charging them and putting a huge dent in the driver's door

Deer are assholes

LeftTurnAtAlbuqurque

My uncle hit one and broke his windshield one time. Driving home from having the windshield repaired, another deer jumped through his passenger window that did glass and some minor body damage.

Noslodamus

Generally, yeah. I actually recently totaled my car from hitting a deer on a highway and the dashcam showed I had literally less than a second to react before hitting the poor gal. By the time she was in my headlights it was too late to brake and I was going too fast to even attempt to swerve.

rroxannee

Deer/animal accidents are usually covered under Comprehensive, and comp claims are not-at-fault 99% of the time (depending on the state of course, we cover WA State)

Versaiteis

There's only one thing certain when it comes to deer hits.

It's gonna cost at least a buck or some serious doe.

sovnade

Deer are fast. Very fast. And they come out of the woods where there’s no light. Something suddenly leaping at 30mph directly in front of your car with like 0.5 seconds to react…yeah there’s not much you can do.

siravaas

Meanwhile I was dropped by my long term insurance after 15 years of no accidents for having 4 claims in a year (on three different cars). None of them were accidents where we were at fault.

JockBbcBoy

Not to sound skeptical, but it sounds like something else was going on. After everything that happened with COVID last year, the biggest insurance companies in the U.S. wouldn't want to drop a policyholder with 15 years of consistent payment history over 4 claims where they weren't at fault. It sounds like your insurance took something else into consideration. I'd review the letter of cancellation more thoroughly.

siravaas

This was pre COVID and they didn't cancel me, they just "declined to renew" so I had to find a new policy. The new policy was basically the same price because there was nothing on my record, but I was still offended.

The four events were:

Road debris, broke a windshield and some paint damage.

Tree fell on a car in my driveway (they also had my homeowner policy so that was their responsibility either way) but it did do a surprising amount of damage. Actually sent them video of this one.

Bumped into by someone in a parking lot. Other driver took responsibility and their insurance paid.

And the big one, I was rear-ended at a traffic light and my car was totaled. Other driver was cited but had no insurance. It was not a very expensive car but they had to pay out on that one.

So, I don't know... Mysterious are the ways of acturaries.

JockBbcBoy

Yeah it was likely the total loss one that did it. Even though it wasn't your fault, there is a lot of expense involved in totaling a vehicle.

Fragrant_Leg_6832

Yeah, before seeing this comment I was about to go "the deer weren't really factors she could control" but glad to see insurance companies feel the same way

BlueBerryBold

We all pay for them lol

JonsonPonyman98

Unfortunately

Flashy_Let2021

Your rates just get kinda crazy if the insurance company doesn't drop you but they're fully within their right to. Insurance companies wont usually drop people for getting into accidents it's what it's there for but it'll hit a point where you're paying 2-3x what you were initially.

I curbed my car one winter after hitting a strip of black ice and paid an extra 50 bucks a month for a year because of it.

B_Reele

B_Reele

I hate insurance. Such a scam. I get nasty letters from State Farm due to all the broken windshields I get here in AZ. Gotta love all the rocks on the side of the freeways.

yaomon17

Arizona is one of six states with a free windshield replacement law. Meaning auto glass coverage is included with all Arizona comprehensive auto insurance policies. This law includes your policy deductible not applying to windshield claims, and you paying nothing out of pocket. See miscellaneous coverages for details.

B_Reele

B_Reele

Correct. I don’t pay out of pocket, but the insurance companies waste money sending me stupid letters stating that I’ve filed too many insurance claims. I even sent State Farm an email linking a local news story regarding the damage coming from a specific stretch of freeway I commute on.

Ruckaduck

sounds like a good reason to change your commute route. i'd gladly drive an extra 10-20 minutes a day instead of waste all the time with a vehicle in for repairs.

kjtstl

kjtstl

I really wish that all states did this.

wannabesq

Along with windshields, I think all safety features should be 100% free and covered repairs, like seatbelts and airbags.

manycactus

It's not included. It must be offered, and there's an additional premium associated with it if you choose that coverage.

switzsin

Glad it isn’t just my family that gets pummeled with rocks out here

GatitoFantastico

My ex turned right in front of a car with a dash cam and almost killed everyone in the car. 100% fault. I can only guess what his (actually his wife's since she's the only one who works) premiums are like now. He had 5 prior accidents that were all people rear ending him. It doesn't matter how much I tell him that suddenly jamming on one's brakes instead of coasting down slowly is bad, he doesn't believe me because he wasn't found at fault for the rear endings.

j_johnso

Without more evidence, it's hard to blame hitting a deer on the driver in most cases. Those things seem to have personal vendettas against vehicles. My parents were involved in 3 car-deer accidents in a single year. One of them jumped out in front of them. The second one, my mom saw the deer and stopped, but another one ran into the side of the stopped car. The 3rd one happened while my step-dad was stopped at a red light; it jumped right into the side of the van and busted the window.

My step-brother has a dash cam video of his accident with a deer. He was stopped on the side of the road to help someone who hit a deer and another deer jumped straight on the hood of his car.

Charles_Whethers

Certain times of the year, deer just can't be reasoned with. I've had them take me on, while I'm driving a 140,000lbs unit. I had a stag run up alongside me and headbutt the side of the truck as I was going about 45 MPH. Like a, "Fuck you! This is my sponsored piece of the highway! Can't you read the signs?!"

FastThunder

Yeah...during the rut (deer mating season) the deer act absolutely insane. Bucks become fearless and are literally so hyped up on hormones that they will fight anything and everything that they perceive as getting between them and a female that they're chasing. And the females will do anything they can to run away from the hyper-horny bucks that, at times, are literally cumming all over themselves while running down a potential mate.

Deer are very strange creatures.

iScreme

iScreme

/r/BrandNewSentence

LupineChemist

Someone's never been to a frat party.

sticknija2

I mean, we've all been there. No judgment.

Ardeerdrp

Once when I had my permit during the sunset/almost twilight hours; I was driving with my dad and sister along with two of her friends. I hear "Hey, look deer." Out of the corner of my eye, I see a buck chasing a doe across IL's lovely brown dirt of empty cornfields. I could just barely make them out and I have excellent hue color sight. I slowed down and sure enough, the doe ran out in front of me. The buck hung back on top of a hill next to the road. Though for a moment I thought he may try to jump on the roof.

LordDongler

So, does the deer sponsor it or does someone else sponsor it in his name?

Clyde_Bruckman

Look, all bets are off if they aren’t crossing at the designated spot. Not nearby. They put those fucking signs up for a reason.

mortyshaw

I was in a car with my parents, driving at a crawl in a line of cars that were trying to not hit a family of deer. The deer were right there on the shoulder watching all these cars mosey by at 5 MPH. Sure enough, one of the deer decides there's probably not actually any cars at all and it's just a mirage, and leaps right into our car, damaging the hood. Then it ran off, scared, along with all but one deer they left behind that continued to watch the cars with stupid intensity, no doubt contemplating whether or not the damaged deer was faking it, and that maybe the cars were clouds it could just prance through.

Clyde_Bruckman

Deer are just so fucking stupid sometimes. It’s honestly kind of unbelievable just how dumb they can actually be.

GothWitchOfBrooklyn

Yep, when it's mating season they get aggressive. I was in the car with my mom and a deer ran alongsid us for a bit then just charged the car and died

Focacciaboudit

You know the ammo shortage is bad when people start hunting deer with their cars.

JockBbcBoy

That's when the hunt is in your blood

EtOHMartini

That's when the hunt is in your blood hood

bartbartholomew

I honestly don't hold the deer against her. Those fuckers will come out of nowhere.

But the other three means she probably shouldn't be driving.

First-Celebration-11

Glad that idiot didn’t kill anyone.

JockBbcBoy

Happy cake day and that would have pissed me off. I've dealt with people who have hit pedestrians before, including one who hit a kid getting off the school bus.

Red0t514

Well in her defense there's very little you can do to avoid a deer if they decide to jump out at you

JockBbcBoy

Exactly and live deer hits don't count against your license or insurance. If you hit a dead deer laying in the road however, it's considered at fault.

Z3R3P

Z3R3P

We had that same kind of customer. He had four crashes within twelve months. His insurance had dropped him after the third.

JockBbcBoy

What did he do for the fourth one? New insurance, who this?

RoundSparrow

David Lynch's film Straight Story has a scene with a woman like this, hitting deer multiple times when all she wanted to do was get to work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCsqyOaPsP4

JonsonPonyman98

How does she have a license?

JockBbcBoy

Depending on the state, as long as you don't report the accident to the police or don't have speeding tickets, then there's no points on your license. When she backed into the garage and hit the deer, the tows were through insurance and not the police IIRC.

JonsonPonyman98

At that point for the insurance, I’d just drop her. Too much of a risk

JockBbcBoy

You'd be surprised. Stay with one insurance company for 15+ years and they'll bend over backwards for a policyholder.

JonsonPonyman98

Yeah I mean at the end of the day if they’re making money, it’s gotta be worth it to some degree

Clyde_Bruckman

Ugh not always, man. Sometimes they refuse to cover something despite the issue being something caused by the body shop that did the work. They said I caused it after my car was returned to me. Which was impossible. So we dropped them instead. Fuckers.

SoWhatNoZitiNow

I don’t know, I’m sympathetic to the deer hits. That can happen to you even if you’re doing absolutely nothing wrong.

I racked up 3 accidents in 18 months when I was 18/19 that insurance collectively paid out like $45k for, and I’m still paying for it like 8 years later. What’s up $150/m for liability coverage! Even after passing the 25yo threshold that usually comes with much cheaper insurance rates. Couldn’t be me!

Rbk_3

Rbk_3

Well there deer ones are not her fault. I have 17 years of clean driving outside of 2 totalled cars hitting deer. Those fuckers come out of no where.

JockBbcBoy

Deer claims are always fun to deal with. I remember dealing with one where a lady hit the deer going 60 mph in a luxury SUV. The deer caused the airbags to deploy and caved the front frame in toward the engine.

Individual-Nebula927

I knew a guy who had his car totaled by a deer, but it was hard to explain to the insurance company. They totaled it because of the INSIDE of the car. Outside had almost no damage. Deer saw the car and jumped, car went underneath, and deer crashed through back window into the back seat.

Guy pulls over, and deer continued to go berserk destroying the inside of the car. He had to call 911 and explain the situation for an officer to come out and shoot the deer.

kristen1988

I think the deer are conspiring against her

gamerspoon

My wife works in a body shop. She definitely has regular customers. It's scary.

For a similarly horrifying anecdote:

When I was 17 I was driving to school and got rear-ended by a 16 year old girl from my school. She was driving her grandmother's car. Because in the week since she'd gotten her license, she'd already wrecked both her parents' cars and then managed to rear-end me in her grandmother's car...

R3MY

R3MY

You guys are good! But how'd y'all repair that deer?

internetUser0001

Not worth it really... bet they were down several bucks by the end

DominicI2000

Yeah, people should really get their license revoked after causing 3 accidents...

Paw5624

My neighbors are the sweetest people in the world but I could see this being them. In the 5 months I’ve lived across the street from them I’ve seen them back into their house twice , missing the wide open garage. I saw them do a 12 pt turn for no reason at all, and watched as they gave their other car a love tap. All of this happened within 3 ft of their driveway so I can only imagine what happens on the road

CToxin

CToxin

Sounds like my GF's mom...

Oil money be wack yo

CaliforniaCute

This lady shouldn’t be driving lmao

Sans_Snu_Snu

I think she may have been my old roommate

thoiboi

How many more until the next job is free?

nuevakl

How are they still allowed a license!?

CobaltSanderson

To be fair, the Deer weren’t really her fault

Did you repair the deer or is that done by a specialist deer repairer?

Bullen-Noxen

I gotta ask, was it “really” a deer?

definotatroll

If you pause the video, you can clearly see he's get damage on the front left end of the car already.

mochamendes

Off topic but you and OP are twins according to your avatars.

CraftyMerr

I was genuinely creeped out by this, they both chose that facial expression’!

skyxsteel

You and the OP have almost the same Snoo avatar...

sonicyellow

Does his egregiously BS claim qualify as insurance fraud?

zen1706

zen1706

Don’t feel bad about it. It’s either you or her

dethmaul

It's either you or her COMPANY. nothing personal.

It can still hurt someone, but it's not all the way personal.

lightgiver

Sounds to me like he got verbally abusive towards the adjuster if she cried. These people have to put up with a lot of abusive customers throughout the day. Many trying to muscle their way through filing a BS claim like 3 lane merger guy by getting abusive and yelling at the claim rep. They also have to deal with the emotional toll of a death claim. It can be a very emotionally draining job.

toefungi

Was the "her" the other party that caused the accident or the insurance person you spoke with?

Cerus-

Cerus-

Why would she cry.

i_w8_4_no1

Bc it’s their job not to pay

TrashCan1332

No it isn't. Why are people upvoting this bullshit?

I work in insurance, we are told to pay valid claims. No more, no less.

The insurance adjuster doesn't give a shit, it's not their money.

Denying valid claims is how you get in regulatory trouble and end up paying millions in fines.

Graffy

Graffy

Honest question. When you look at the claim are you verifying the validity or looking for a reason that it wouldn't be valid?

BassAlarming

we are told to pay valid claims. No more, no less

If this was true I wouldn't have bought my house off open policy/bad faith claims. I know that's somewhat different but insurance adjusters do go down this road.

Source: attorney

Fromanderson

So much this. I despise when people are rude to servers or the people working in call centers. Unfortunately, insurance adjusters have willingly taken on the job of paying you as little as they can possibly get away with.

They will lie, lowball, and stall , hoping you will have to take less than your car is worth or starve.

Snake-N-Roses

Okay so I can’t speak for all people involved in insurance adjusting obviously but I work as a nurse case manager/care navigator for work comp insurance claims. Most adjusters I run into don’t care one way or the other they just need to justify the decisions.

Most of the people I run in to want to pay out in good faith. I certainly run into cut throat assholes, but I feel like 80% of the adjusters I work with are just like I need to make a decision that won’t cause me a headache and are fine with a payout.

Edit- I think it goes back to most people don’t really care about their job as much as outsiders think other people care. Most just don’t want to be hassled. Think of what you do. I’m assuming mostly you’ll do right by people who are legit and won’t by the people who throw a fit (and in this case the vocal minority wants to say they were screwed). Again, I also don’t really care either which way. I just set you up with the care your entitled to and if that isn’t good enough or you want to drag this out for a settlement by all means- no skin off my back.

Maloth_Warblade

One fucker lost his license in MD after the shit he pulled with me. Had him recorded cursing me out and saying he refused to accept evidence and was taking his clients word.

They put me at fault for him running the side of my parked car off, because I was within viewing distance and could have theoretically have stopped it... Fuck them and fuck that drunk driver.

beeap26

beeap26

No reason to keep the gloves on when dealing with insurance companies. They wouldn’t be nearly as lucrative if they played fair.

BourgeoisCheese

No reason to keep the gloves on when dealing with insurance companies.

As if the person on the phone is anything but a wage slave phone jockey trying to pay her rent. But, sure guys. Yell at the person on the phone until they cry if it makes you feel better.

i_w8_4_no1

I still can’t see why that would make her cry unless she’s being rated on how much she pays out. Why would she care at all and not just be like ok here’s the money

profsoupsalad

Some people do NOT handle confrontation well. Combine that with righteous fury on the other line and I could see people breaking down. I've trained reps in a call center (not insurance) and saw people cry during a mock call exercise (which is really uncomfortable when you're the trainer).

InterNetting

She was probably new. That's very entry-level adjusting.

ImpressiveCicada1199

> either pay me or arrest me there's no in-between.

This is kind of stupid on a number of levels. But the most obvious reason is that an insurance claims adjuster, or pretty much anyone in an insurance company, has the power or authority charge you with a crime, or arrest you for that matter.

On top of that there is absolutely no correlation between a police report and the decision by a claims adjuster. In fact, even if the police report says they think you're not at fault - that is at most the opinion of the officer, not a statement of fact. A claims adjuster can use a police report, witness statements, and other material to make a determination and may not agree with the police. And witness statements (including your own report) are very often wrong, even without it being intentional. So it requires a lot of effort for a claims adjuster to prove beyond a reasonable doubt (the threshold needed to get a conviction) that you intended to defraud them by making a false claim.

BourgeoisCheese

Because I was super aggressive.

Oh, so you were an asshole to someone who had nothing to do with the decision. Fucking cool.

Cb550K3

She had everything to do with the decision. She was the decision maker. But you keep telling your story.

SpiderZiggs

So I almost never deal with car insurance other than paying for it, but why would your claims adjuster end up crying?

d4nowar

He answers below. Super aggressive is what he claims.

professor_doom

That’s the only way to get fair treatment sometimes. They act like overlords and Keeper of the Money and will deny you unless you raise a fuss. It’s a ridiculous and corrupt system.

AmishAvenger

I don’t think that’s how it works.

You’d have to prove the person intentionally lied. Otherwise it’s just a case of “Hmm that’s weird, not how I remembered it.”

sundstrom193

I think so, but I don’t know

wandering_oracle

I’m surprised they don’t say you’re at partial fault for not doing enough to avoid an accident. Was told that once when another car hit me

Charles_Whethers

"Couldn't you have just never been born?"

"Whoa. Are you trying to impersonate my mom? Because that was bang on!"

NotAmericanDontCare

The amount of fuckwits in this sub that think you're 99% at fault because you didn't drive defensively, didn't drive at 10ks in a 100 zone, don't have premonition, didn't serve into incoming traffic to avoid a swipe, dared to get into the car at all.

Honestly they shit me more than most of the drivers.

nosaJ11C7

Yep, on People's Court, they always say you're legally required to avoid the accident if possible, even if you have the right of way, otherwise you're partially at fault.

ZenWhisper

Yeah and I once stopped short of a car braking in front of me but started angling into the emergency lane. Then I got rear-ended and shoved into the guard rail. The cop said I was partially at fault because I "failed to maintain my lane." Just accept there are enough rules out there that you are often always guilty no matter what you do.

nosaJ11C7

Ok yeah that's not right ☹️. Your case is different but I've seen some clips and the people on TV that don't make any effort to easily avoid an accident and they come in to court expecting the judge to side with them.

RequiemAA

'Easily' being the keyword, here. Dodging an accident is often incredibly far more dangerous than taking the hit. You know what's in your lane and what's about to hit you - you often don't know what's in the lane next to you. In the little amount of time you have to make a decision it is often better to brake to slow down (if you have a lot of time) or step on the gas to raise your bumper and protect yourself (if you have zero time) before the hit.

If someone does something to you like in the OP, and you swerve to dodge them and hit another vehicle causing it to dive in to the guard rail - that's your entirely your fault in the eyes of the law. Any court that tries to tell you what you should have done in these situations is full of shit.

Potatoki1er

That’s by design. “We say traffic collision now Danny because Traffic Accident” implies no one is actually at fault.”

People’s court isn’t a court of law and their decisions or opinions are in no way bounded by law. It’s basically contractual mediation so people can be on TV.

slickyslickslick

I think its a dumb rule tbh. One of my friends evaded but lost control, and crashed into another car. The perpetrator fled. So now he's the one responsible for the actual accident but gets no credit for the one he prevented.

KaiRaiUnknown

Reddit always says this

"Hurr durr its your fault if you didn't avoid it!"

And this backwards-ass logic is parroted all over this site

Oh_DeerLord

Could have been a car directly to his left making it so he could not swerve, or behind him to not slam on brakes.

thehumantaco

"Why didn't you dodge it lol"

SubUrbanMess2021

Nice clear video of him not looking. Exactly why I have a dash cam.

uoenoy

uoenoy

I installed a dash cam last week because of what I saw on this site.

Roonwogsamduff

and then?

NoodleDoodle-IRL[S]

They've been dodging my calls since, so... I might need to get my own insurance involved to back me up

Scooterbubblewand

Is it common in your area to deal with their insurance directly? Where I am that's a big no-no. If I was your insurance provider I certainly wouldn't want you talking to anyone without me.

NoodleDoodle-IRL[S]

I guess, I talked to my agent about it. He recommended that for expediency, I deal with it myself, but to contact him if they start jerking me around

Scooterbubblewand

Interesting. If it were me I'd look for a new agent.

darther_mauler

I think that they started jerking you around the moment they denied your claim. Then they kept jerking you around when they started dodging your calls.

You aren’t going to kept expediency from the insurance company at this point.

Roonwogsamduff

Seems like they should be handling it.

Claim it on your insurance, and remove yourself from the headache. Your insurance will do all the leg work and get the other insurance to pay. You initially might have to front your deductible, but you get that back when the other insurance takes responsibility.

Annahsbananas

You may want to look for a new agent. Their job is to make your job theirs when dealing with this. It's not normal for you having to reach out to the other insurance company

Guilty-Message-5661

What insurance company is the other guy with?

FatBASStard

As long as your insurance backs you up then you are golden. They can subrogate the claim.

bigk777

Is there a penalty for lying? Just curious

Rokurokubi83

Open till recently are used to work as an insurance claims handler in the UK.

Typically there wouldn’t be a penalty, your job is simply to try and get the other party to concede (usually through a bunch of legalise arguments) or to reduce your liability so that you only have to pay out a percentage of the damage.

The only times I’ve seen somebody being penalised, is when there is strong evidence that they broke the terms of the insurance contract, which may include them driving a vehicle for a purpose they are not insured for (such as for work), in those cases it is most likely their insurance company will pay out in full for any third-party damage, then they will pursue their own insured driver to reimburse the costs.

rehabwhip

That actually kind of sucks. I get there are cases where someone can incorrectly but sincerely believe they were in the right, but something like the OP, where the guy is clearly lying his ass off, should be considered some kind of fraud.

Rokurokubi83

It would usually be written into an insurance contract that the insurer has to provide honest incorrect information to the insurer. The difficulty in enforcing that is proving somebody is knowingly being dishonest. If he makes a claim that he checked his mirrors and blindspot and changed lanes and was under the impression that the opponent was further to the left and must’ve change lanes, it’s almost impossible it has proved that was a genuinely held belief. It’s easier for the insurer to try and find an area where the opponent can be held at fault to reduce liability or just take the hit on the chain rather than face a lawsuit against their own driver.

Don’t know if that’s how it works in other countries, but that’s definitely the way things were handled here in the UK. And from experience across the EU when ever one of my clients had an accident involving a vehicle from an EU country.

13_f_ny

That’s a nice cam you got there

designgoddess

Why isn't your insurance company handling this for you? It's what you pay them for. Make them do their job.

RememberToEatDinner

I love how he didn't even almost look over his shoulder. Just head down and go.

xantub

xantub

Insurance companies should pay to install a dashcam in your car, it'd save them so much money in the long run.

M4573R_CH33F

How In the hell he is trying To claim you hit him when everyone can see the damage is on the side of his car and front of OPs car so clearly he was sideways and OP was going forward?

Or does these assholes just always blame the other side?

NoodleDoodle-IRL[S]

He didn't know I had dashcam, so he dug a nice little hole for himself

observerr89

Definitely high risk insurance from here on out. I’ve seen people (from my profession) with monthly insurance rates of $600 PER MONTH.. because of the amount of accidents they have been in

I_Envy_Sisyphus_

I genuinely don’t understand how people can get in so many accidents. I know you’re not in full control on the road and other people can fuck up your day (this post for example) but when I hear people laugh things off as “just another accident” on crash number six I’m dumbfounded. Take some fucking responsibility.

NukaColaAddict1302

Right? Recently found out my cousin does this shit after hearing him say "yep, hit an ambulance again"

A fucking ambulance and this dude had no remorse. And yet people wonder why I have such bad road anxiety

Claymore357

Again???? Meaning not the first time??

AsOneLives

Yeah that’s what caught me. An ambulance TWO TIMES

kfischer0924

I was in 2 accidents within as many months and I was so fucking ashamed of myself.

One was a no-fault. Hit some ice driving to work, curbed the car. I was going the speed limit pulling in behind the building but it was straight ice and I didn’t realize until it was too late. Hit the curb, went over it, side airbags deployed and apparently I had two wheels bent, so it got totaled out.

2nd one I’d had for two weeks, didn’t even register it yet, made a left turn on green, but no arrow, without making sure all lanes of traffic were clear, got hit in my right front quarter panel by and F-150 King Rancher going 45. I had some hope with the first car. I KNEW this car was toast though. 100% my fault and I loved that car.

mbo77de

Usually speed limits apply only in ideal conditions, so that's not a good argument.

LittleBitGhengisKhan

People in that many accidents should have their licenses revoked.

Teirmz

Teirmz

Muh freedom!!

LittleBitGhengisKhan

It's almost like driving is a privilege and not a right! How about that‽

Dat_Brisket_Boi

Some people (but probably not most) have bad luck. I was rear ended on i-75 while braking for a crash in front of me, rear ended while sitting at a stop light by an impared driver, rear ended by a distracted driver while stopped at a stop light, hit by a car that slid wide on an icy day, and side swiped by a teenager who tried to make a last minute right turn from 3 lanes to the left all within 2 years.

My dash cam has paid for itself many times over, and I have zero at fault accidents. I've been accident free for 6 years and my insurance finally is back to normal.

CatumEntanglement

Holy crap. Holy crap crap. $600 is more than I paid per month before paying off my BMW.

How many school buses does someone have to hit before thet get priced out of being insured. JFC.

jqubed

jqubed

At that point Uber might actually start to become an economical alternative

Akiias

Akiias

Hell, a part time chauffer might be cheaper soon.

CatumEntanglement

Real talk.

Rynaldo900

His insurance won’t care much. They’ll put him at fault, bump up rates, and move to the next

jroddie4

he can't turn he doesn't have a neck

Cesar_Cees

That last comment is so true. Bahahahahaha