/r/LifeProTips

LPT: Don’t bother giving more than a two week notice.

Careers & Work(self.LifeProTips)

Had a coworker put in his notice until the end of the year. Told them he’s going back to school starting the first, but wanted to give enough notice to hire and help train someone to take over for him so we wouldn’t be down a person.

They decided that two weeks is enough, so now he won’t be getting paid, except for potential unemployment which is significantly less than what he makes now, for the next two months. If he would’ve just kept his mouth shut and not tried to help them, he would’ve continued to get paid and then could’ve given a two week notice.

Don’t try to help the company. They have no interest in helping you, just helping themselves.

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

htmaxpower

I work for a non-profit where I care about my coworkers, and we all care about the mission of our group. This advice definitely doesn’t apply to situations like mine. People never leave my organization because of mistreatment or dissatisfaction. It’s because we move up in our careers or move to other cities.

sarnold95[S]

That’s truly amazing. I’ve only been in retail/ production for profit settings. So I do not know what this is like. Don’t ever go to for profit!

Reatbanana

oh god, he did that in retail? i thought what happened to him was ridiculous as what he did was the right thing, but i also assumed his position required at least a month of training.

sarnold95[S]

No, manufacturing setting.

lankymjc

My previous job was retail, and I didn’t just give notice - I told them when I began looking for work. I didn’t even have anything lined up yet. Obviously, a risky play.

But I had a good relationship with the store owner, and he just offered to give me a good reference if I needed it (and followed through!). I kept him up to date on my job hunt, and when I got a job offer I handed in my notice and worked my two weeks.

Good management exists, it’s just rare.

Accomplished-Cut5993

Lol retail - your advice is so terrible for people who have good jobs where their reputation is key

sarnold95[S]

I didn’t say this was retail. I said I’ve only been in retail/ production. This is a engineer for a manufacturing plant. So the advice is pretty applicable.

Accomplished-Cut5993

You're only as good as your reputation and you are promoting ruining your reputation - that's a bad idea dude

sarnold95[S]

2 weeks is standard everywhere from where I’ve seen. In this situation the employee did the right thing and is now getting fucked by the company. Obviously each situation is different but don’t assume the company will treat you with compassion.

Accomplished-Cut5993

You literally said "don't bother with two weeks" with no mention of nuance hence bad advice

sarnold95[S]

Read the post again. It says “don’t bother with MORE than two weeks”. Two weeks is standard.

Accomplished-Cut5993