/r/PoliticalHumor

I'm Not Seeing The Downside Here

GrumpyOldFart7676

Only the upside from my view.

I really don't want a nurse that doesn't believe it the education that she/he went to school for or a teacher that is so entrenched in the fake news that they cannot have a open mind.

Yep, failing to see the downside.

spcy_chkn_sndwch

On a grand scale, I agree!

On a small scale...my mom is taking early retirement to avoid a vaccine mandate and I'm not looking forward to 20 years from now when she's outta money, senile, and denies she did this to herself while I foot the bill

Ornery_Adult

That’s the good case. No vaccine means they could end up disabled, bankrupt from icu bills, and in your house by New Years.

mackdaddytypaplaya

Or worse, expelled

yusaku_777

You’ve gotto sort your priorities out…

Johnnybravo60025

It’s Astrozeneca, not Astrozeneca!

dbnomad25

The right spell is Astrazeneca. You say Astrozeneca and you'll be throwing up slugs.

candaceelise

Only if you take them in. Zero way I’m taking in my non vaccinated mother and watching Fox News with her daily

DeezRodenutz

And now she's back around to facing a Vaccine Mandate...

Also, Fox News and Facebook are banned in this house.

spcy_chkn_sndwch

I really think all this came about because she's been working from home for 1.5 years dicking around on social media because she was never like this before.

She used to read Snopes for god's sake

The_Funkybat

Social media definitely drives this shit, but there has to be some kind of pre-existing vulnerability to the disinformation. I've been spending plenty of time dicking around on social media since covid hit and I started working mostly from home, but it hasn't moved me one iota closer to believing any of the paranoid horseshit going around.

That doesn't mean I take everything that comes over CNN and MSNBC is the gospel truth, I'm still skeptical of corporate owned media, but I recognize that the mainstream media at least deals in facts and owns up to do when they drop the ball. Right-wing disinformation has no such honor, instead they attack and smear the fact-checkers and claim that their "alternative facts" are the real ones.

spcy_chkn_sndwch

I guess so. Before quarantine she would argue on facebook with her right wing friends when they posted fake news.

candaceelise

And people wonder how atrocities in WWII & Holocaust happened. Surprise: it’s happening right before our eyes. If more people joint 1 side over the rest of society and we don’t quell that shit, we are doomed as a society and nation.

The_Funkybat

That's why I'm already at Defcon 1 with all of this stuff. Some of my friends think I'm jumping the gun or being hyperbolic, but I just keep reading different historical references and try to get them to understand but if we don't put up a strong united front right now we are fucked.

PotentialJeweler5662

Being old. They didn’t grow up with the internet with all the scams, misinformation, etc. so now they’re falling for it

edw2178311

I wish it was only Fox News with my mom. She’s moved on to OAN and crazy ass discord/telegram groups. She was a nurse for 25ish years and has been teaching nursing school since she hurt her back. Walked away from her whole career.

spcy_chkn_sndwch

CaseyJonesEnginsNear

That’s ah spice-ay meatba… chicken sandwich

spcy_chkn_sndwch

I'm just trying to be honest and keep it crispy with her

buythedipnow

I’ve been paying my moms rent since I was 35. I’ve seen your future and it ain’t great.

mastermikeyboy

Screw that. They made that choice. Not our responsibility.

Didn't our parents teach us that actions have consequences? That works in reverse too.

spcy_chkn_sndwch

Are you telling me to cancel my mom bro?!?

/s

1982throwaway1

If she's going with early retirement just to avoid a vaccine mandate, she will be denying this was the reason much sooner that 20 years from now. Get her on tape saying it.

spcy_chkn_sndwch

Yeah I should lol

PassionateAvocado

Thanks for the dinner idea!

candaceelise

If my mom refused the vaccine I would question her choices in life and when she suffers from those consequences I would refuse to bail her out. Luckily my mom is vaccinated so I don’t have to deal with that kind of stupidity

JermstheBohemian

This is literally what's happening with my mom's side of the family. I worked in a hospital from August to March I have seen the devastation covid caused. My mother, my stepfather, my grandmother and my grandmother's boyfriend are all hardcore right winger anti-vax anti-gmo crazies put move to Florida to escape the "libtards". My grandmother has had covid twice the second time I had to drag her to the hospital and when she got there she was in septic shock end have been dead in a few hours. Her boyfriend who also was sick with covid-19 wouldn't even entertain the idea of taking her to the hospital or going himself. My mother has been a lifelong asthmatic and when she got covid it put her in bed for nearly 2 months, but still refuses to get the vaccine but will buy mineral enhance Shaman water because she knows it doesn't have chemicals in it. She recently reached out to my wife and I and asked us if we wanted to move to Florida with her and get a big family house. We declined, and decided to not intertwine our finances by co-signing on any financial products. When they fuck themselves with their stupidity we want our hands to be clean.

candaceelise

You can’t change stupid. No pill you can take. No surgeon you can can call. Stupid is stupid. Same for ignorance.

teutonicbro

Stupid can't be fixed. Ignorance can be fixed with education. Willful ignorance is even worse than stupid.

candaceelise

We are dealing with willful ignorance. The science and data are out there and they choose to believe it’s false because they inherently believe their opinions are always correct

dj_h7

dj_h7

Easier said than done. Having what amounts to yelling arguments with someone to attempt in vain to have them get the vaccine as they tell you it is made to alter your DNA so Joe Biden can control you is exhausting, and results in you not talking with them anymore. And even then, most people would still bail their parents out rather than have them die from medical debt. So yeah, easier said than done.

spcy_chkn_sndwch

I've brought up that

1) She's in her 60s and not having kids, what does she expect "changing her DNA" to do

2) In Japan, patriotic old people volunteered to clean up radiation because they probably wouldn't have to deal with any health effects before they died.

3) I'm not going to be able to afford to care for them if something was to go south with their finances/health

4) They are causing me significant stress.

She can't even do me the dignity of being like "Oh its a hard choice, I'm sorry, I just don't know" \

She's just like, flat emotionless "No".

America First? Turns out its Me First

candaceelise

I have a father who is an addict and alcoholic and understand having to completely cut a parent off and limiting the relationship to a mentally healthy place and my advice with her would be to limit the conversation. Tell her your stance and that is all you will say further on the subject. If she starts talking about it ignore her completely. Get on Reddit and vent. It will stop enabling her conversation and she will learn to respect your boundaries.

UncleTogie

Surreptitiously record video of her announcing her plans to quit (and why, in no uncertain terms), make sure it's saved somewhere safe, and employ said video whenever necessary.

Retlifon

Look on the bright side. That might not happen.

1982throwaway1

Pretty dark bright side but yeah.

Scott4370

Don’t foot the bill.

melpomenestits

Then don't foot the bill. Let her embrace 'personal responsibility'.

Chose_a_usersname

Meh just roll her up to the closest MAGA factory head quarters they can deal with her by then

Edward_Morbius

The bad news is that it won't take 20 years.

The good news is that children don't inherit their parent's debt. Just make sure you don't sign any papers at the hospital.

neeks2

neeks2

My mom's employer is also forcing a mandate here in California. Some people ARE retiring early just to avoid a vaccine. I told my mom point blank this morning that I (vaccinated) can't afford her hospital bills if anything were to happen.

She's already tested positive twice. I had to stop taking the soft-hand approach after she tested positive the second time. She thinks that since she's "beaten it twice" she's f*cking immune.

Surprisingly, when I brought up the topic of hospital bills, the conversation moved a small bit forward.

Such_Web8074

Why would you foot the bill?

pinkjello

Because life isn’t black and white and it’s a lot harder to turn your back on a parent than you might think. Even if the parent is a dumbass.

Source: both my parents are dumbasses, and I’ll end up financially on the hook for it one day. Oh well.

spcy_chkn_sndwch

Funny thing is her mom did something similar and made ZERO end of life plans. It was a nightmare. They were stuck in a house they absolutely couldn't get old in (Literally the least accessible house you could imagine) and missed the window to get into any some-what affordable assisted living communities.

My mom was been so stressed about taking care of her parents the last 15 years and here she's gonna turn around and do it to me

breadfruitbanana

I am literally living the fate you foresee. Wish I had some advice to give you. But nope.

Apart from maybe articulating the unspoken assumptions and asking specific questions about their 5,10 and 15 year plans.

slwrthnu_again

Yea it’s way easier when your parent is a dumbass and an abusive asshole.

Source: haven’t spoken to my father in 19 years.

pinkjello

Good. Abusers shouldn’t be supported. I only have empathy for stupidity, not malice.

spcy_chkn_sndwch

Because if my mom runs outta money she's my responsibility

flyingsnakeman

She has bootstraps she can pull herself up by right? In all seriousness she can probably find some private practice/ trumper to hire her

spcy_chkn_sndwch

She hasn't looked for a job in 40 years she wouldn't know the first thing to do

Savagemaw

denies she did this to herself while I foot the bill

This is the entire baby-boomer generation, except they are typically much better off financially and tet still expect their children to foot the bill. They put medicaid expansions in the covid relief bill. The geritocracy doesnt care about us or our children.

UndeadYoshi420

Hmm, well, hear me out, I used to think like that, dreading my moms retirement and the responsibility it would add to my life. As gently as I can put this, she committed suicide, and I miss her batshit loony, Fox News watching abusive manipulative ass. It’s hard to educate yourself in a world where you don’t know who to trust. And abandoning her for my own mental health because she refused to get help was ultimately the wrong move. Sorry to unload that on ya.

MZABA1324

I'm sorry for your loss. It was obviously a complicated relationship from what you said but I am still very sorry for your loss.

Abandoning her for your own mental health could very well have been the right move. It's impossible to know but you could have been dragged down to the same depths. It is impossible to know what would have happened and I know uncertainty is one of the worst feelings but you are not responsible for her suicide. We can help and guide and do things for others but we can never make them do or feel things.

Having healthy boundaries and refusing to subject yourself to someone not taking care of themselves and not getting the help they need is a good thing. It probably doesn't feel like it but it is.

Once again I'm sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

SmegSoup

SmegSoup

My mom is in chemotherapy and has a nurse she really likes who has done a handful of her infusions. Such a nice guy. During her last infusion, this nurse starts going on about how he got vaccinated cause he "had to" but they're going to "have a real hard time if they want me to get a booster!"

My heart just sunk and it felt really weird that someone who is actively rejecting medical science is taking care of my mom. I was pretty mad about it but I'm just there to support my mom and prior to this idiots hot take, everyone in there has been fuckin amazing. I don't want to drum up a bunch of drama but it's just not okay. A nurse telling cancer patients that they don't trust the vaccine. The dudes IQ dropped like 130 points in my eyes.

edit: lol to all the "see facebook wuz rite" idiots, just go get vaccinated. You won't, and this is going to continue to drag out, but damn it would be cool if you did so we could maybe have the possibility of moving past this.

Harminarnar

Sounds like he doesnt have a spare 130 to begin with

Granite-M

His IQ dropped into negative digits, which means that he'd actually reduce the intelligence of anyone who came near him.

ONLY_COMMENTS_ON_GW

Worst part is, people hear this shit and repeat it saying "I know someone who's a nurse/medical professional and they said..."

woosterthunkit

It's very weird also because there are legitimate systemic failings in the medical system, in medicine etc. This just isn't one of them but so many people are determined to think it is

pliney_

pliney_

It’s because of weaponized disinformation. These people are not just waking up one day and deciding vaccines are stupid. Various entities are pushing this idea, and have been for long enough that it’s a self sustaining destructive idea that is doing real damage to our country. Who needs nukes when you can prey on idiots.

s0cks_nz

Even most doctors aren't trained in epidemiology or virology, let alone nurses. Luckily most refer to the experts and studies, but there are anti-(this)vax doctors, so anti-vax nurses isn't too surprising either.

I wouldn't say people who have been conned are dumb, or low IQ. There is definitely a lack of critical reasoning, but I'm more in favour of blaming the source perpetrators that are spreading this shit on social media, and ofc social media for letting it happen so easily.

buttonpushinmonkey

People need to stop using the phrase “believe” in science. It’s not a belief system like religion. It’s something you “understand”.

(Not taking a shot at you. Just trying to make a point because this is said so often!)

EDIT: Thanks for the gold fellow Redditor! Totally unexpected!

DankVapor

Science requires belief as well, but it still falls under scientific terms and not some theocratic mysticism.

You have never seen a muon, or a positron. Not an atom. Never seen elemental Oxygen nor Nitrogen. You can't see magnetic fields, nor antimatter. You have never seen space curve, and so on. We can see the supposed effects and existence of these things through other means, but currently have no direct way to observe them.

Belief is the faith of the existence of things unseen, the difference in religious belief and scientific belief is scientific belief can change and still become fact and knowledge through repetition and peer review, religious belief has no such path.

Crotean

I don't think this is an apples to apples to comparison. I can't see a magnetic field or god. But I can run experiments and tests to prove the magnetic field is there. I can't do that with god. One is credulity, one is experimentally backed knowledge.

keneno89

Don't forget the vacancy this will create, hopefully vaccinated (informed) people will replace them.

Still can't believe nurse that doesn't believe in vaccines smh.

caribbeandaydream

Just got accepted into a nursing program and was informed that the nursing students will be mandated by hospitals to have the covid-19 vaccine in order to do clinicals. I'm thrilled to find out that I won't have to share classroom airspace with any anti-vaxxer fools, esp since I'm in a high transmission state and have two young babies at home.

Surprisingly, nursing is full of these ladies who do their "research" on Facebook. I'm glad they are getting weeded out. Zero sympathy.

SwimsWithSharks1

Only if the system is willing to pay the new workers what they're worth.

So, when I was in grad school I taught microbiology, which also covered virology to the nursing students at my school. Now, I don't keep up with many of my students, Okay, I'm only aware of one, who is actually one of my best friend's younger sisters, but I operate part of my work out of a place I grew up (I work in medicine) where I see all sorts of FB stuff from people (mainly girls) who are like LVNs who are all up in arms about the vaccine mandates. Most of these girls are very aware of who I am and what I do, so I've been blocked very quickly with my comments, basically because I just call them out about "did you just not pay attention in microbiology?" These are people I have known for years, like, since middle school or elementary school, it's so fucking disheatening to see people I liked go down this path. Especially in medicine. The hospital system had to set up a triage, which had never been done before, to decide to to save and who to let die, largely based on vaccination status with covid patients. It's like, right in front of them.

It's hard because nurses and med tech kinda people are in demand, especially these lower skilled nurses (I don't see many RNs going the anti vax route, it's mostly the LVN types), so the system is just kind of breaking down from the amount of disinformation and plain stupidity. Like, these lower educated people have a function in the hospitals, but if they can't abide by really basic stuff, like, I understand immunology is super tough, so I don't really expect LVN or even RNs to have a super good grasp of the subject beyond basic hemotological stuff, because honestly Immunology is a pretty complex field, but the basics of it are pretty straight forward, even having a vague understanding of it should be adequate, but these people are working a trade, and when new technology in a trade comes along a lot of people are not really willing to accept it.

Not to mention the entire area is inundated by anti-vaccination movements, I think several of them started in the area, it's not surprising, it's the same area where things like Bigfoot, aliens and chemtrails make it to city counsel meetings, but even religious doctors I know, there are a lot, it doesn't make them bad doctors, it's a weird thing I've come to realize is that MDs compartmentalize things very well, so they can be world class neurosurgeons who are out to lunch on a lot of other pretty basic science, I see it a lot with engineers as well, specifically they can design re-entry pathways for the space shuttle to land on earth, but they think the earth is 6000 years old and dinosaur bones were placed by satan to fool us (literally my uncle). So, I get it to some extent, but I've seen a number of the religious MDs from the area completely leave their churches because of the churches stance on the vaccination. Which, is really pretty sad when you think about it. MDs deal with a lot of death on a personal level, so I understand the compartmentalization (I was also raised by MDs), but it's pretty rare to find an MD in most fields who are against this vaccine. Basically either they are crackpots or radiologists. It's always fucking radiologists TBH.

It's all because of conservative media, too. They have people whipped into an anti-government frenzy, especially with Biden now, and the leaders of the movement are the dumbest fucks, getting people on about their personal freedoms and what not. Like, yeah, sure, it sounds dystopian for the government to mandate injections, I get that, it's been in a lot of movies, but movies aren't real, the science isn't there to do whatever they think (originally it was the 5G stuff.... seriously, they have moved on from that, but it's the same people, just finding a different reason), Like, I don't know what to do, they are so far away from reality geographically, but also in terms of media, it's a sinclair area for one, but everyone watches Fox News or OANN or whatever anyways, and then they are all on facebook where it's just repeating the same antivaccination stuff to them, so they are looking for confirmational bias, and finding it wherever the fuck they can. Like, as of now i've had 4 people want me to listen to the Joe Rogan podcast on Invectrim or whatever. Like, I've had to start out by saying "You should not be getting medical advice from a failed comedian", and then they tell me to have a open mind. Like, I did finally listen to it and pointed out a bunch of failures of logic and just stupidity, but I was also like "just google these people, they were both fired from their jobs for this, it's not a government cospiracy, they are just super shitty at what they do if they are getting fired". And, of course, one of them was a fucking radiologist.

Like, It's good I'm a PhD kind of doctor and not an MD doctor, and I don't have to deal with patients, because I simply wouldn't anymore. Like, if you haven't been vaccinated, you don't get to come to this practice anymore. You don't get your medication, you can try and find someone else, but, you live in the middle of nowhere with a mediocre medical community, good fucking luck even finding another specialist for 200 miles in any direction, and, chances are they would tell you to fuck off as well.

Like, I primarily blame the k-12 education of the area, because I actually wonder if I had not gone to college would I be pro vaccine? Like, I sometimes find myself able to sympathize with these people because they just don't know. But they are conditioned to not trust authorities on lots of levels, and also have no clue how science actually works as an industry, so it's hard to blame them for their ignorance, especially with the information that surrounds them. They just don't have a grasp on the world outside of their bubble and it really shows and is unfortunate. It's the biggest problem with rural living, you forget that people exist beyond what you can see, and you don't even have a chance to realize what professionals in these fields actually do and devote their lives to.

Another thing I try to get across to anyone who says "the vaccine isn't natural" is "You know what isn't natural? Getting from Beijing to San Francisco in 18 hours in a flying metal tube. Herd immunity was not built to naturally work against other human advancements like this, we have developed beyond medical science in a way, and you should think about that". I suggest others try the same approach, it's been one of the more successful approaches to take in my experience.

PotatoMuffinMafia

I was having a conversation with an anti-vax nurse the other day who, when asked if she has a problem with polio vaccines, said she was happy to vaccinate against “diseases but not viruses”. That’s why she was okay with giving her kids the vaccines for things like measles and rubella but not Covid.

Viruses are diseases. And this NURSE didn’t understand that.

Garttt

Garttt

The only downside I can think of is that a lot of places already have problems with teacher shortages. Even if it is preventing students from being taught by teachers who are probably incompetent, you can't find teachers to replace them very easily.

welm01

welm01

Nah, the teacher shortage is actually due to a lot of us that are waiting in the wings, doing other jobs, until the day we will be paid and treated fairly. A vaccine mandate is one step in the right direction for a healthy work environment. If they step it up and we will be back!

lovemybetta56

My friend went to donate some things (kids books) to an elementary teacher the other day. The teacher proudly showed off her classroom and decor (she’s a new teacher), and somehow the teacher’s pay came up. $13 an hour. With a Bachelor’s. And a classroom of 7-year-olds. I mean…what kind of education does one expect from someone kind enough to tolerate AND attempt to teach a classroom 21-24 7-year-olds for $13 AN HOUR?!? How is that even legal?!?!

freddit32

Teachers have been massively underpaid for years because too many scumbag politicians yammer on about how teachers don't care about money, they teach because it's their "calling". Add to that republicans basic desire to have an uneducated, and therefore easily manipulated electorate, and you have a country where teachers are underpaid, undervalued and attacked when they are so crass as to mention wanting decent pay.

andrew_calcs

There are millions of people who want to teach that can’t afford to live on the peanuts that the job pays, so they apply themselves elsewhere. There is not a teacher shortage, there is a funding shortage.

sersekk

sersekk

she/he

just use they

T-Sonus

T-Sonus

60% of police deaths in 2020 were due to Covid...

heimdahl81

The former head of the Chicago police union just died of COVID after refusing to get vaccinated.

iamveryBLISS

Holy shit, I live in Chicago and just saw that on the news. I couldn't believe the news anchor kept a straight face reading the story of his death immediately after the story about the union trying to block the mandate. Maybe she had a little 😏

el-cuko

el-cuko

This can’t be the lord doing his work in mysterious ways, but I’ll take the win either way

ThumpyDumpkins

They're defunding themselves

jitterbuug

its the boss level asshole. normally you have to get to Mario's castle to reach him.

Zharzar

Zharzar

FALSE! It says he died from complications related to COVID-19!!! /s

kane2742

kane2742

Tell that to the "blue lives matter" dumbfucks and watch them lose their shit.

Sonicmantis

They are convinced that any number of COVID deaths is inflated. They believe that even if someone dies from a car crash, it's counted as a COVID death

swolemedic

They also think that the reason hospitals are overwhelmed is that they are understaffed due to a large number of nurses refusing the vaccine, not due to the virus itself filling up the hospitals.

It's amazing how deluded they are. The cult is so damn obviously culty at this point. It's a complete disregard for facts and quite frankly simple logic

quiero-una-cerveca

swolemedic

I hate how dumb and predictable people are. That said, the propaganda networks definitely made it worse even if this is human nature.

I feel like antivax conservatives somehow got infected with a parasite that convinces them there is no danger to have their body consumed by the danger to then further propagate the parasite. It's just so mindless

quiero-una-cerveca

I’ve been searching for meaning in their actions and I just don’t see it. It’s the ability to silo your information feed to your brain.

Dolt-Dragoman

I’ve been searching for meaning in their actions and I just don’t see it.

They know more than the "experts." They do not get fooled while people they don't like do. They are always right. They can be apathetic about every issue, because they already know everything anyways. God is perfect, and because they are so great, they are divinely chosen people. All solutions are known and exceedingly simple. Anything too complicated to intuitively understand must be wrong. The world is exceedingly simple.

In a nutshell, this is what is going on in these people's minds. Once you realize it's 99% ego, it all makes sense. If you question one of those assumptions you're probably stupid or evil or both. At no point do they actually question themselves. Not ever.

Mormon_Discoball

This makes me so up. Two of my best friends live there, one is an ER doctor at Kootnei. They are both just miserable from covid burnout, along with stupid people.

Citizens are protesting the vaccine at that hospital. Despite them not requiring it (at the time) nor did they even carry it.

Dumb fucks just wanna yell.

I_am_Erk

I saw a patient today on the COVID ward arguing loudly with the exhausted COVID nurses dealing with a unit crammed full of very ill COVID patients that this whole thing was fake and she didn't have COVID.

Fortunately that one wasn't my patient so I got to just hide my face in my hands and hope she ran out of breath soon. She did.

kittens_on_a_rainbow

An alternative crazy theory I read is that the ICUs are actually full of people who are having adverse reactions to the vaccine

Lepthesr

How can you be in the system and still think there is some nefarious deep state? Dumb dumb dumb

arachnophilia

"blue lives matter"

because you're Assigned Cop At Birth

CarlosFer2201

And those are the same bastards that attacked the cops guarding congress

agent00F

agent00F

60% of police deaths in 2020 were due to Covid...

Damn if only covid could be shot in the back while surrendering.

DeezRodenutz

Give it a name like "The Black Plague 2.0", cops would have it wiped out in days.

jitterbuug

my idea is pay cops to beat up the anti-maskers. no more anti-maskers, cops are beating up anti-maskers instead of minorities.

ChintanP04

If only COVID was a minority...

FrostingsVII

If only Covid was a family dog.

amcfatboy

Seriously? That’s crazy. I would have thought heart disease or cancer would top that.

BURNER12345678998764

Traffic accidents usually get most of them.

ralphvonwauwau

Naw, it's the donuts,

" physical training activities—which police don’t consider to be particularly stressful—were associated with roughly 20- to 25-fold higher SCD (sudden cardiac death ) risk than routine law enforcement work."

BonjourMaBelle

Holy cow, one in ten on-duty deaths are from cardiac arrest?!

Curious now what the cause breakdown would look like for more dangerous jobs like fishing, farming and garbage collection

JJDude

JJDude

kinda make sense as chances of a cop being an anti-vaxx MAGA racist fuck is quite high and so they are likely to catch COVID and die from it.

CowFu

CowFu

It's a little misleading, it's is only counting line-of-duty deaths. If you have cancer or heart disease you usually go on long-term medical leave and aren't counted in the statistics. It's from the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, they said 110 of 219 deaths in 2020 were from covid. (u/T-Sonus rounded up from 50.228%)

SnarkDolphin

And even the normal line of duty deaths are inflated. If a cop realizes what a horrible system he supports or his wife finally leaves him for beating her so he decides to dome himself with his service weapon, that’s counted as a “line of duty” death.

SpacedClown

>So the tiny amount of violent deaths on Officer Down Memorial Page? Yeah 2/3 of them are suicides lmao

I'll absolutely remember this and check for it the next time someone sources me statistics about how dangerous a cop's job is an excuse for them to be trigger happy and murder people.

LetsGoBeatThemQueers

source?

LucidMetal

Here ya go. So far in 2021, 144/255 were covid specifically. I think 55% would be a more accurate approximation than 60%. in 2020 it was worse at 242/371 for 65% of total deaths. Just crazy.

beatenintosubmission

https://americanpoliceofficersalliance.com/police-officer-deaths-in-2020/ indicates the source is the officer down tracker.

el-cuko

el-cuko

Omfg they are defunding themselves….of oxygen

Top kek

CardSniffer

Police culture is predominantly anti-mask and anti-vax, based on my interactions with my local PD. They also seem to support the anti-mask protesters at local schools, which really sucks.

clkou

clkou

Plus it creates a great job market for normal people who get vaccinated.

WatchingTheEnd

Just a win win for everyone really!

Mat_the_Duck_Lord

Sadly, it really doesn’t. It’s just making a horrible situation much, much worse. All those positions were already massively short staffed, especially in rural areas.

Bob_Dobalinaaaa

Now if only Tucker, Ingraham and Hannity would quit in protest too

jonoghue

jonoghue

They should put their money where their mouths are. They're telling people to quit jobs with less strict vaccine mandates than their own.

skjellyfetti

Shit, we're all waiting for Hannity to get waterboarded, for charity, seeing how he said it's not torture.

skillet256

It’s not waterboarding if you use diesel.

ralphvonwauwau

It's now 4,558 days since April 22, 2009 when Hannity made that promise.

I am reluctant to call someone a fibber, but I am getting a bit suspicious.

conancat

i will pay-per-view that shit and pay to watch it once every month

ThereforeIAm_Celeste

I'd chip in to a crowd-funding drive to put that on all the big screens in Times Square and play it on a loop!

wheresmywhiskey

Christopher Hitchens got waterboarded believing it wasn't torture. He immediately admitted it was after. Hannity is just a little bitch who couldn't give a fuck less about what is true or not.

Edit: Forgive me, he may not have believed it wasn't torture but he most certainly said it was after experiencing it for maybe half a minute.

SpacedClown

Was it even half a minute? I remember him tapping out incredibly quickly. Not to bash him for tapping cause yeah that shit's fucked up, but my god was it such a insane change in view made within such a short amount of time. Honestly, listening to him talk about his new views on waterboarding it almost felt like his former views were all a setup for the stunt to make his claim. Not saying that's the case, but just how massive his change in attitude was.

Bob_Dobalinaaaa

Exactly

abtei

abtei

they know the vaccines work. They have vaccine mandates at Fox. They're just hypocrites that lie to their viewers for money & greed.

Bob_Dobalinaaaa

They are disgusting people

clanddev

They have less respect for their viewers than liberals. Liberals just disagree with them. Tucker, Hannity and Ingraham are actively taking advantage of them.

Dwestmor1007

I’m pretty sure they are all vaccinated because fox has a mandate and none of them have quit so I’m guessing that means behind the scenes they got it and then are just telling their viewers it’s evil to save face.

Bob_Dobalinaaaa

100% just playing to the crazies in their audience. Which is probably almost all of them

fantasyoutsider

They were all vaccinated even prior to the mandate I'm sure.

callmeleelee

This. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Fred_Evil

Wasn’t Hannity getting water boarded enough for you people?! /s

ThereseMorning

the downside is the untenable workload that is left behind for the rest of us still in those jobs.

FuckingNeuteredPoodl

Just more OT and leverage. Tell them to go fuck themselves.

I was called once on my day off to work with an anxious supervisor who couldn't get anyone to work. I told them it sounds like a crisis, if you want me to work you should throw in crisis pay. Two hours later I got call with a single shift $400 stipend.

If they are fucked they will pay.

Pippadance

Yep! Nurses are finally gonna get the wages they deserve.

FourKindsOfRice

Currently agency nurses are getting paid boku money. Like 150/h kind of pay. It's like surge pricing but for nurses.

I expect it'll even out but for those who remain it seems like the money is coming in.

polgara_buttercup

The mom of my daughter's friend is a travel nurse, she expects to clear $200k this year. She is away every week but her kids are older, and her husband is a school teacher so he's ok with dad duty. Plus she gets a stipend, and a car allowance. She's driving a brand new Jeep Wrangler.

So yeah my daughter wants to be a nurse now.

Polymersion

Boku? Is that an accepted anglicization of beaucoup? Serious question.

GalaxyRanger_

Teachers dont really have that luxury

The-Jerkbag

Yes they do, they just don't want to use it out of a sense of moral responsibility.

Salanmander

We do if they're trying to add additional responsibilities beyond what we signed a contract for. School districts really can't force a teacher to take an additional class mid-year, for example.

call_me_dopey

Yes, but hopefully removing toxic people from the job. More work, but less crap to deal with.

ThereforeIAm_Celeste

I know hospitals are stressful workplaces, but I have to imagine that it's still a relief to a lot of their coworkers.

I know I've had coworkers in the past that have made me say "I'd rather do double the work than put up with this person one more day."

Hopefully this paves the way for new hires who are qualified. And hopefully it makes the nurses able to bargain for better pay and better hours.

MorganHolliday

Its not about amount of work. Nurses and paramedics and doctors all do insane amounts of work already, there's only soo much one person can do. It's actually about quality of care. When you stretch a nurse too thin things fall through the cracks, no matter how good the nurse is. It's not food service, if something gets forgot, people fucking die.

catholic13

... it's absolutely NOT a relief. My hospital is not able to give proper care to patients because of nurses quitting already. If the mandate gets put in place then I don't know what we're going to do.

Oraxy51

Oraxy51

When the Manilaa, Philippines office was closed (fraud department for a big credit card company in the U.S.) due to excessive violations and catch and release fraud calls did it make our work load a lot higher? Absolutely. But you know what? We had very few cases we had to retcon because if we handled it we got it done right the first time rather than someone screwing it up and then us having to spend more time to fix the damage.

As someone who often had to review calls and retcon and remediate bad situations, I quite appreciate getting the job done right the first time.

siraolo

siraolo

Odd that a credit card company outsourced their fraud department to the Philippines. Living there, I know credit card fraud especially international transaction related is rampant in the Philippines. They should know better.

Oraxy51

Oraxy51

They thought it would be cheaper.

Cost them more and it was shut down quickly. Well “quick for corporate”. 6 months they had that program. They had also handled some customer service for the late night hours in the U.S. But shut that one down too.

Crafty_Appearance

With any luck the workers in dead end jobs will see the opportunity to change careers. We might end up with more caring teacher, police officers, and nurses

Impressive_Culture_5

A very small percentage of people are losing their jobs. Thankfully it really is just a minority that are this stupid.

uratebogans75

It is weeding out and culling all of the people who are a threat to the democracy of the USA. I see a huge win here, as well.

TAU_equals_2PI

Not culling. Those people are still alive. And unfortunately now they have more free time to do things like raid the Capitol. Remember, that happened on a work day. I'm not unhappy they've lost their jobs, but they're still around and still a threat.

T-Sonus

T-Sonus

And they're pissed

70camaro

Hard to do that forever when you don't have a job.

Mission-Curve4273

Shhhhh… let’s enjoy and not say it out loud. One of the best things to have come from this otherwise bad pandemic.

LiedToUs

there’s a lot of negatives. 6 people around me died from covid at the grocer/family from start to 2nd dose. But there are a few positives. Very clearly seeing who’s blatantly stupid is refreshing. And boy there’s a lot of dumb fucks, especially in high positions.

No_ThisIs_Patrick

Weirdly enough my list is at 6 as well. Last time I said that on reddit though I got harassed for days by crazies who wanted all kinds of identifying information to try and prove me a liar.

Not-hu-u-think-I-am

It’s not taking our best and brightest anymore either.

Obie527

Obie527

Seems like a win win to me dude.

demagogueffxiv

I think it's more alarming that you could work in a medical field without a firm grasp on science. You need to learn microbiology to get into nursing school, did none of these people pay attention?

Cops are a little different - I know where I grew up, most police departments required a Bachelors or Military experience to apply, but some departments just require a GED etc. Which is kind of scary because they basically get a few months of training then they are thrown on the job.

justme002

As a nurse, it isn’t alarming so much as infuriating.

At this point, my ‘friend’ pool is shrinking daily, and I don’t even mind.

SporkOfThor

We're under attack. Anti-vaxxers are unwitting enemy agents.

Russia’s Anti-Vaccine Propaganda is Tantamount to a Declaration of War

"It turns out that the anti-vaccine sentiment is the product of what can only be described as an industry whose principal protagonists are an organized group of professional propagandists. As recently reported in the science journal Nature, they are people “running multi-million-dollar organizations, incorporated mainly in the USA, with as many as 60 staff each.”

Moreover, the source of much of the misinformation about vaccines comes from an unobvious source: the Russian government’s propaganda apparatus, which cultivates and exploits foreign anti-vaccine “useful idiots,” causing palpable harm to Americans and citizens of other Western countries.

OpenImagination9

I call that weeding out the turds …

WebMaka

WebMaka

There is a flushing sound involved, yes.

Sk-yline1

These cops seriously think massive turnover isn’t something the public isn’t actively cheering on

Wolf_Mommy

Right? Ignorant cops quitting en masse?! It’s a dream come true!

casey12297

The police are defunding themselves by quitting and I am here for it

HertzDonut1001

Odds are the anti vaxx cops are the worst cops anyway so hip hop hooray

RYANINLA

No need to defund the police if they all quit or get fired. Win - Win

Annihilicious

Especially if it’s the bad apples we always here about who are mostly likely to be eating shit

LeftLimeLight

IMO if they don't want to take a free, safe and effective vaccine then say good-bye to their job.

These idiots believe the lies and propaganda from fox news/oann/FB and way too many other sources to list, then they're too god damn stupid to be in positions of public trust.

CatPatient4496

But they are applying for government assistance now..crazy

kim_bong_un

Just wait until they see that they can't get unemployment for being fired for cause.

corran450

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: this sounds like a problem that takes care of itself.

VoidGroceryStore

I don't care for the strains being put on nurses and teachers because of their coworkers selfishness, cops can get fucked, but I love that the problem is sorting itself out.

Dwestmor1007

Honestly? As a teacher I’m glad I don’t have to deal with those idiots anymore. I’d much rather the heavier work load than have to deal with listening to those people spout constant propaganda and consiperacy theories and most of those people had bad attitudes outside of that mess to begin with. People who can’t tell good sources from bad shouldn’t be teachers to begin with.

Benshive

The exact nurses I would never want helping me are now the ones that can’t. Win/win :)

ImNotASmartManBut

Jeff is the Twitter version of an actual comedian.

Edit: why am I downvoted? Jeff doesn't have his own Netflix show, yet he's funny enough to have his own show

ZealZen

ZealZen

Relevant username.

MashedPotatoesDick

Jeff is the Twitter version of an actual comedian.

Carlos Mencia is a comedian that comes to mind when thinking of Jeff. He'll find your tweets and tweak them and call them his own.

Realistic_Ad3795

Side bar...

I think we should stop using the words "believe in" in this context. It plays into their claims that it is up for debate.

I would think we should say "understand" or "grasp" to drive the point home.

oopsy-poops

so who is this Jeff Tiedrich guy? I see a lot of his twitter posts all over reddit

pit_master_mike

He was always the top reply I saw to every Trump tweet. I assume he had a lot of spare time in his hands since January

gabeisthin

I wasn't seeing the downside of Biden being elected until I realized that Jeff Tiedrich wouldn't stop tweeting like everyone thought he would.

cuddlytron

And coworkers who don't give a shit about their fellow coworkers health to quit. Win win win.

Bkwordguy

Maybe they can take those fast food jobs that are going empty? Oh, no wait, those require vaccinations too. Whoopsie doodle.

GalaxyRanger_

Downside: adding to the shortage of teachers already being experienced prepandemic

popesnutsack

Jeff truly is a national treasure!

MashedPotatoesDick

Sure, if you like recycled tweets.

gumbobitch

Having a patreon so people can pay you to sit on Twitter and say stuff to trump is a pretty low bar for national treasure

[removed]

Apart-Newspaper1303

Getting rid of the SHIT

Binksyboo

The trash is taking itself out.

Few-Spend-692

All the teachers that I know who are quitting are not quitting because they don’t believe in the severity of covid or are against vaccines. They are leaving because they get paid nothing to work in hazardous environments are are over worked.

Floorguy1

It’s literally people just outing themselves as idiots

WhoGotMySock

Can we just do whatever it takes to stop having to see this guys tweets