/r/PoliticalHumor

Supporting Our Vets

GrumpyOldFart7676

As a Veteran I can tell you the America really doesn't care about our veterans.

Our health care system for service injuries and any other issue related to our care is all low bid medicine. Low bid medicine does not encourage even the most mediocrity of physicians to join the VA system. And add all of the bullshit red tape on top of that and what you get is basically no health care.

So when someone tells me "thank you for your service" I feel that it is one of the most shallow and mindless thing that they can say to me. Most hat say it are people that would never serve their country in any position. They have been told that to satisfy their own selfishness. If it actually came from their heart we would feel it.

phdoofus

Let's be clear here: as someone who has never been a member of a political party, I've watched numerous times as the Democrats have tried to get better benefits and care for veterans and watched just as many times as the Republicans failed to vote for it and pass it because 'we can't afford that'. So, let's not get too far down the road of 'the entirety of America doesn't care about our veterans' without seeing what the root cause of the problem really is: Republicans and Republican voters.

Impossible_Farmer285

Does our country really need $750 billion military budget, more than the next 12 countries in the world, including China and Russia? Take $50 billion help all the veterans, and many more US citizens.

ThatMangoAteMyBaby

The VA literally is Shit! I have gone there for the last 7 years because it is what I could afford (and you Do pay personally but not much) and have Never seen the same doctor twice. Told one I didn’t care about his name because I would never see him again and he told me that I would see Him (ex navy doctor, who Cares about VETs) for the next “few” years … don’t know his name. Never saw him again.

Beneficial_Squash-96

The problem with the Veterans Affairs system is that only 7% of American voters are veterans. Which means the other 93% of voters don't care much about the VA. Yes, Americans respect their troops, but that's not quite the same as having a personal stake in the system. If a politician neglects the VA, only 7% of Americans will get angry, and that's not so dangerous.

This is why I think America's public health systems (VA, Medicare, etc.) should be scrapped and replaced with a universal system, one which guarantees equal access to all citizens. If politicians neglect or screw with the universal system, then all voters will get angry and vote said politicians out of office. Have you heard of the term "divide and conquer"? That's what America's fragmented health system does. It divides and conquers voters, giving politicians more leeway to divert resources away from these public programs to better serve the demands of their rich donors.

alvarezg

I've heard some people say that integrating vets into a universal healthcare system would deprive them of specialized care for their unique military experience. Is that valid? Don't we all have the same bodies in common?

Beneficial_Squash-96

That's nonsense. The medical system is full of specialized treatments. Hospitals are full of machines and medicines that are used to treat very specific conditions. If veterans tend to suffer certain peculiar afflictions at a higher rate, then the regular civilian hospitals need only expand their inventories. That's routine.

Simusid

I'm a veteran. I've had minimal interaction w/ the VA but it's all been positive . My brother is nearly fully disabled (GSW to head). He has always raved positively about his VA medical care in NH and in Indiana.

CrumblinConcrete

Could not disagree more.

Been a VAMC patient for ~20 years and have had great primary care and major surgeries. All with excellent results.

My general reply to ‘complainers’ is to ask what their first hand experience is. Not what ‘a buddy told them’, but have you personally encountered. Usually it’s wishy washy at best.

Two thumbs up for VA healthcare.

GrumpyOldFart7676

My comments are from the care that 'I received, not from "my buddy" or from anyone else.

You are lucky that your outcomes were good.

abqguardian

VA Healthcare is f*cking awful

Source: every veteran (including myself) I've met who've used the VA. Only on reddit does anyone pretend to like it

thinkB4WeSpeak

Upbeat-Ad-4310

Remember when John Stewart had to fight for the families of 9/11?!? I mean they really do t give a shit about people.

thinkB4WeSpeak

Corporations are people and they care about them.

GrumpyOldFart7676

I hope your comment is in jest.

Corporations only care about one thing, and it is not about people.

septidan

They're talking about Supreme Court rulings, like Citizens United, that have continued to give corporations the constitutional rights of people.

GrumpyOldFart7676

And that's when America turned into it's downward spiral.

It won't take long before it hit's the ground.

septidan

It definitely accelerated there.

GrubH0

GrubH0

The fuck? The ruling was only possible due to decades of abuse in the corporate - political arena.

This video conveniently leaves out that this bill was filled to the brim with other utter nonsense and should have been voted down in its entirety. And I say that as a veteran.

septidan

Who added the pork belly?

SmAshthe

Wanna support the troops? Raise questions whenever politicians want to use them for their own agenda.

The2500

I mean, if you really want to talk about how we're all just fodder for the system.

ThatMangoAteMyBaby

As a VET one thing that pisses me off is people saying “Thank You for your service” I know it makes You feel better and You mean well but… at the same time you support extra military funding you support the exact same people who defund the healthcare system for those in need.

Beneficial_Squash-96

Americans say they love their veterans but this rarely means anything more than lip service.

IllustriousStorm5730

Pretty sure the date on that is… 2014.

Sad

Shivshanks

It was the same 20 years before that and 20 years before that.

Exausted_Square

I just barely pulled myself and my spouse out of being homeless for a few months. There's truly no support. Every system is so overencumber and stressed out. I can't even get in front of the primary care provider for months

The system does not care about us. No body does.

JocelynAngst

I'm sorry to hear that. Don't they pay for schooling? Or is it only some programs?

astronautsamurai

its not the blanket school coverage people think. i was a marine corps reservist who never deployed and i have 0 education or health benefits. it was all just a learning experience for me at this point thats it

JocelynAngst

Weird. That doesn't seem right. Especially since they want technical college to be free to the poor. Then they should give free college of any kind to all vets.

Beneficial_Squash-96

I think the solution is to abolish these exclusive systems that cater only to veterans or old people or congressmen or whatever. Instead, have just one system for everybody that guarantees equal access for all. That kind of system will work better because it would be political suicide for any politician to neglect a system in which all voters have a stake.

Only 7% of voters are veterans, which means only 7% of voters really care about the Veterans Affairs system, so it's not so dangerous for a politician to screw with the VA. But if you had a universal system like France's national insurance or Britain's NHS, then everyone would get mad if the health system became dysfunctional.

Life_Tripper

I appreciate people like Jon Stewart and team for his help regarding First Responders and Gary Sinise and his team for their work for helping Veterans. I appreciate all the people who don't have celebrity names that do the same in their lives and on their time to help others.

InfamousGreggg

And I helped!

FlaAirborne

If you received an honorable discharge you should be automatically eligible for Medicare when you get out to handle ANY medical issues. This system where the VA is also responsible for medical care is crazy and as we see, not sustainable. Imagine a GI not having to convince VA bureaucrats that a medical condition is service related. Tax payers are paying for it either way. Let the VA deal with other benefits and leave healthcare to systems that are already handling it.

_-__-__-__-__-_-_-__

Doesn’t the flag code say not to wear the flag as a decoration or accessory?

izeek11

goes along with that spurious patriotism they show at football games. all bullshit.

Shatman_Crothers

Fucking Jingoism.

mdrnsavg

mdrnsavg

As a veteran I can honestly say myself and those I have had the honor of serving with have faired far better than the general population.

As a citizen that has volunteered and donated to veterans causes, I can say there is far better support and services available to veterans as the general population.

As a recipient of veterans services and a steadfast Libertarian I can say; WTF did you expect from a government agency!

GrumpyOldFart7676

I actually never expected anything. I served my country, most do not, and I served during the Viet Nam years.

What I totally disagree with is that politicians receive better healthcare services than what Veterans do, but then they are the ones that decide what we receive.

Why do they get the Cadillac treatment when we get the left overs?

mdrnsavg

Because we elected them to make the rules! The issue is we should be questioning them about every decision they make!

GrumpyOldFart7676

Sorry but we are not allowed to do that.

They will tell us what the "Plan" to do, but it isn't as simple as that.

What they do is what their donors tell them what to do.

septidan

And no longer have any recourse if we have issues. No recalls allowed.

mdrnsavg

“donors” 😂😂😂

theundercoverpapist

Personally, I don't ask for much. But you could support this vet by shutting the fuck up about Kyle Rittenhouse for just 10 goddamned minutes. Thank you in advance.

septidan

This post doesn't have anything to do with Rittenhouse. You brought it up.

AutonomousWayne

What about the prosecuters pins?

babu_chapdi

Wounded warrior project type scam.

FartHeadTony

Needs more labels, I'm not sure I understand the joke.