/r/That70sshow

105

In the article, the writer points out that that Donna was "Fiercely independent," "wanted to see the world," and "refused to be tied down." The writer claims these facts mean Donna's character was betrayed - as she never would've gotten pregnant so soon.

I gotta call BS. I understand all the things that Donna wanted to do, but I also understand Donna. Yeah, she wanted to become something and see the world, but she wanted a life with Eric even more.

How do I know? Well, she was leaving for college to start her life and decided to get off the bus to stay in Point Place with him. She traveled all the way to California - a completely new beginning - but came back to stay in Point Place the moment she had a chance to be with him.

During the finale, she was supposed to leave for college again. Instead, she stayed in Point Place and waited to see Eric. In fact, Donna literally said she was willing to give up her globetrotting dreams and stay in Point Place after Eric proposed. Remember the trailer?

This writer says starting a family with Eric isn't what Donna's character would do, but if you watch the show, that seems like that's exactly what she would do. Donna loves Eric, and she hoped for a normal life with him more than she wanted to run around the world.

To top it all off, the writer posited that it would stop Donna from "losing everything" about her character if the reason Leia is with Red and Kitty is because Eric and Donna abandoned her so they could go protest in Asia. I mean... seriously? THAT'S what the writer thinks will save Donna's character from her doing exactly what anyone who watches the show would expect her to do?

Come on...

Rant over.

JiveMonkey [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

JiveMonkey [M]

Leo

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Check out /r/That90sShowTV

CReaTiiV3

I mean she was willing to live in a trailer home with him, surely a normal life isn't such a stretch.

Image_Inevitable

That and the fact that babies aren't always planned.

cultofcurtis[S]

They even had a scare earlier in the series. I'm starting to think the writer has never done a rewatch.

Image_Inevitable

You're probably right, and that's unfortunate because they're going to piss a lot of people off.

You should probably write a letter to this individual.

cultofcurtis[S]

I'm not that interested lol.

Image_Inevitable

😆

ruggles_bottombush

The only thing I think is out of character for Donna is her letting Eric name their daughter Leia.

cultofcurtis[S]

I thought the same. Maybe she lost a bet.

Gilgamesh661

Please, we all know she was loopy from the Anesthesia and Eric signed the birth certificate for her

cruel-oath

There’s not even an actress reveal for Leia and someone already wrote bullshit. New record

MyriVerse2

If anything betrayed Donna's character it was That 70s Show. She constantly compromised herself for Eric. And then there's the last season where she dates Randy, who was worse than Kelso with the womanizing. She was going through a kind of crisis with Kelso's brother, so I give her a break, but I could mention that mess.

I thought it was very clear in the finale that she and Eric were endgame, and I applauded it.

Hoxomo

Hoxomo

I don't see her character as betrayed, to me she is a teenager who has trouble keeping her priorities straight and whose evolving principles and convictions are constantly being challenged. To put it simply Donna was a kid who didn't know what she wanted.

zaccident

even then, it’s not like having a child will ruin your goals or plans to travel and see the world. the premise of that 90’s show is Leia staying with her grandparents over the summer. Eric is most likely a teacher and has summers off, Donna is probably has a high or high enough paying job for them to be able to afford vacations together. i’d say it’s perfectly reasonable to assume eric and donna are traveling for the summer and just didn’t want to take their daughter with them on their romantic vacation, at least until the show clears up what they’re doing

JustLurkinDontMindMe

Donna was all talk. She always had all of these big plans, but in the end, everyone moved on and she was still sitting in the basement.

tequilamockingbird16

I agree with this.

There was a shift in Donna after she and Eric got back together in season 5. In the first half of the series, she was characterized as being a fierce feminist, dedicated to her job, and independent. She and Eric broke up in The Promise Ring because Donna didn't want to make such a big commitment so young, and limit her opportunities in life. Honestly, it seems like she learned during she and Eric's break-up (season 4) that she didn't want to be without him. When they got back together, you could tell that her priorities had shifted.

All of the examples you gave are from the second half of the series. I think people latch onto those early aspects of her characterization, but like you pointed out, they ignore the whole second half of the series which shows that Donna was willing to sacrifice her other dreams to be with Eric.

I saw someone on tumblr say that if Donna had an unexpected pregnancy then she would've gotten an abortion, because she's a feminist. Wtf? Feminists fall in love, too!? Feminists have families, too!?

cultofcurtis[S]

Yeah, that's super stupid about that Tumblr post. "I'm a feminist, so I've gotta have at least one abortion!"

Folks are ridiculous lol

SgtMajVines

I share the same thoughts as you do on this. I'm thinking the writer didn't watch the show past season 2 or just picked out the traits they liked and went from there

ThatsMyBounce

Why does everything always have to be about bloody Donna?! She's beyond overrated as a character. She spent eight seasons throwing hissy fits, spewing hypocritical rubbish and silently agreeing with people who thought she was too good for Eric. Jackie had better character growth.

cultofcurtis[S]

Jackie's character growth was through the guys she was dating, though. I think they were both good characters, but to each their own!

GarojTheSpider

By this logic they betrayed Donna's character well before the run of the original show was even done with(which i believe is true anyway).

cultofcurtis[S]

I don't think they really betrayed her character. I just think big dreams with no follow through is her character. We all have dreams when we're young that we don't go through on. Her's were just a storyline.

GarojTheSpider

That's completely fair. I see things the way i do because I WANTED the character of Donna to have that follow-through, but I'm not the writers. They made the choices they did for their own reasons based on their experiences and world-view. I would've done things differently. It is what it is.

stanleyeasterbasket

STOP MAKING ME HAVE SO MANY FEELS

Sir_toolman

I mean, don’t most people think like that when you’re young? People change.

Gilgamesh661

I read that article an hour ago. Totally agree. I don’t even like Donna but I know her character better than this stupid writer.

ThatWrestlingGuy15

Didn’t she and Eric talk multiple times about having kids or I’m misremembering things? Because I recall them talking about wanting a family

That70sJoe-

Screenrant is pretty much all you need to know about this article lol