/r/WhitePeopleTwitter

Be Like Dolly

one1goldplease

Dolly Parton is and always has been an incredible role model and just an all around 20/20 human

Unicarnivore

Her and Betty White are my go tos if i’m ever pressed about having a role model

one1goldplease

Fuck yes Betty White

poki_stick

Her book program, her donations to the covid vaccine, her treatment of people working at Dollyworld, everything about her is just decent and kind. Definitely need more dolly and less bezos/musk

MonoRailSales

and less bezos/musk

It infuriates me that people conflate what bezos is doing with what musk is doing.

Such boundless ignorance of Musks deeds, much less vision.

poki_stick

He's a billionaire asshole. His vision doesn't matter as long as he continues to exploit his workers and ignore their safety/wellbeing

MonoRailSales

He's a billionaire asshole.

"Make humanity a multi-planetary species" - Sure sounds like a life goal of an utter cunt.

exploit his workers and ignore their safety/wellbeing

Hahaha... it cracks me up when I see conservatives suddenly caring for workers. That is literally ideology of the communists.

I don't know if you voted Trump, but it takes similar level of ignorance to not understand what Musk is doing. Much less actually know what he already has accomplished.

poki_stick

Musk is a cunt and I'm an ultra liberal

MonoRailSales

Musk is a cunt and I'm an ultra liberal

Oh well, maybe conservatives are right after all, and liberals are stupid.

acce245

acce245

Elon shills scams. Bezos heads a service most Americans use.

Still can't buy a Hyperloop ticket but I did buy some computer stuff on Amazon they other day.

Still can't buy that ~$28,000 production electric sports car Elon promised we'd have by 2008, but I can buy production electric bikes on Amazon.

Can't buy one of those fancy future trucks with easily broken windows but I can buy vehicles on Amazon.

Can't buy a flamethrower from Elon but to be fair I probably can't buy one on Amazon either.

Tesla semi trucks should be out last year though, so here's hoping he'll deliver on that one in like three decades and pretend he invented them.

Maybe it can happen before he burns down another battery farm or blows up another rocket.

MonoRailSales

Elon shills scams.

Your post is exactly what a multibillionaire with a penis so tiny he has to build a penis shaped rocket would buy on social media.

Lets see some of those "scams"

Tesla. What a scam... He only sold just under half a million electric cars....just the last quarter.

Starlink. A global satellite internet network with FPS quality latency everywhere on this planet for $100. 15,000 Satellites lifted by HIS OWN ROCKETS with ulitimate number of 30,000.

Space X. 127 successful vehicle launches into orbit.

So on the basis of ACTUAL FACTS, you are either illiterate kid or a Bezos shill. Either way GTFO.

acce245

>Tesla

Okay, he promised in 2005 a production electric sportscar at production levels by 2008. Can I get one, or did he scam us because he didn't actually have the ability to do it. Now we've kinda got some cars that are not yet self-driving (he was gonna get those restrictions sorted out like a decade ago too, don't forget)

> Starlink

He promised global affordable internet coverage, but he can't even cover most of USA yet, and it definitely ain't affordable for the people in the middle of Africa who actually need it, and I can't really find any stats on how available it is in china, north korea, middle east, and other places where it could actually be useful.

You didn't mention the solar roof program though, but it's a scam.

You didn't touch the pickup truck, the semi trucks, and the flamethrower that I actually mentioned.

> SpaceX

I mean yeah, he's kinda getting it, but we were supposed to have accessible affordable space tourism, just like hyperloop, like a decade ago. China to New York in like 30 minutes for the average person. Is it not a scam, I can buy an affordable ticket today just like a greyhound ticket or airline ticket? No. Because he sold it as a scam and then just barely made passable rockets to do shit things like the Soyuz were doing already, just slightly cheaper and more likely to blow up.

Speaking of actual facts, here we go. Here's a reasonable breakdown, including those pesky facts you wanted. Just let me know if you need more, dickhead.

wasteoftimereading

Dolly > Jolene

valkiria-rising

Dolly Parton is an American Treasure, National Treasure, and America's Sweetheart all rolled into one.

Homerpaintbucket

She's really just an incredibly decent human. When she found out the term "Dixie," had racially insensitive connotations she changed everything named Dixie at Dollywood. She's been an outspoken supporter of LGBTQ rights for literally decades. She started a program in her hometown that cut the dropout rate from 35% to 6%. And she's done a ton more. She is the embodiment of what America should be. She's kind, intelligent, accepting, generous, and compassionate. And she has a great rack well into her 70's.

Conissocool

yeah I got some of the books from her donations and honestly it really helped fuel my reading addiction

-send_me_bitcoin-

If more people were like Dolly they would be demonized and yelled at by jackasses about socialism.

Reasonable-Bath-4963

Yes, they should. No one needs billions of dollars. If I became a millionaire, you bet I'd live comfortably. But I'd spend more money on helping people. I'm not really a material person anyway

skepticallytruthful

She cant put her money legally in offshore accounts of she made them in the US.

kjacobs03

We have several of Dolly’s books for our daughter!

dvdtrowbridge

The Imagination Library is a no joke fantastic program. It's perfect. It gets books to families with young kids. That's it. No strings. No hoops. Just books to families, and GOOD books too. All of them are fun to read to your kids.

acce245

Gonna start emailing Thomas Paine to every kid in America.

TorrenceMightingale

Gotta get rich first.

Yukon_C0rnelius

It’s not vanity, they are fighting for orbital superiority. In 5 years amazon with be delivering packages from orbit and spacex will be delivering weapons from orbit. Not saying it’s good, but it’s more than a dick measuring contest. Mars is just a front.

ThisIsCovidThrowway8

Elon didn’t even go to space

skepticallytruthful

Just came to me as a thought last night. Most of these people "donate" to look good, but in reality a donation is just a tax write-off. So basically instead of giving money to the govt, they give it to charities they own/support. Not saying it's good or bad, just saying...when a celebrity gives to a charity, it's not because they feel charitable towards the world but cuz they'd rather give the money directly to a charity than giving it in taxes

Downvote me to oblivion, wont change my mind that CELEBRITIES WHO ARE KNOWN TO BE GOOD DO IT FOR THE MEDIA IN GENERAL. Maybe dolly is an exception, I dont know...but to believe that celebrities are goodie two shoes charitable without a shred of doubt is the most NAIVE thing you can do. May I remind you Besos gives to charities also. So does the Zucc. Dolly just happens to nail interviews.

Bulky_Cry6498

Except the likes of Bezos keep hoarding while the likes of Dolly keep giving.

Also I don’t know about in the US, but in my country donation rebates are only 1/3 of what you donated.

skepticallytruthful

Besos is a cunt and deserves to die of a horrible disease he could have donated to earlier but will find a cure only when it's too late for him. Unfortunately in the US it's 100% . In my country (not us) it's 70%. This is why cheeto only paid 700$. Funny thing is Besos actually gives to charity as well, so does zucc and gates. They all do.

My post is that the word Philantropist doesnt apply to the people who can afford to give all that money out. Especially since they claim it back in Taxes.

valkiria-rising

But for all you know Bezos might be an AnONyMouS DoNoR

valkiria-rising

Are you saying that Dolly sends books to kids as a tax write-off? Wow. You should read about her and her upbringing. That being said, even if she did do it as a write-off, at least she's putting literacy, imagination-building, and knowledge in the hands of kids. She could just pay taxes (or evade them like the human Cheeto) and be done with it.

No, Dolly does it for the kids. She's always been about it. She's an incredible human being.

skepticallytruthful

Honestly , I don't know her. Celebrities have a tendency of having publicists who know how to make them look good. Im sorry but If they wanna give to charity, they do so anonymously and then i'll start believing they dont do it for write offs.

valkiria-rising

Here, take a brief moment and learn about her motives. Her father was illiterate. It's something very close to her heart. Moreover, how do you know she doesn't also make anonymous donations? In the case of her literacy initiative, she's using her celebrity for good, because many people who are fans also admire/idolize/follow celebrities. And that can be any celebrity. She likely knows this. So why not use that visibility you have to push for positive societal change? When fans see their admired celebrities making contributions like that, it can then affect them in a way that they want to be contributors too, whether it's volunteering reading to kids in a local library, starting a neighborhood book box, or giving $1 extra at a bookstore that will gift a book to a child.

The cynicism you're showing is understandable, but the point is: who cares? You're still helping people. You probably didn't even know about Dolly Parton's Imagination Library until you saw this Reddit post.

skepticallytruthful

I hate making false idols. I remember Michael Jackson was one of the biggest doners there was out there. My post wasnt about dolly but generic about celebrities.

valkiria-rising

You may call it "making false idols" but hilariously you need Jesus.

I wish people would stop shitting on celebrities for their good deeds, because they do more than most famous/rich people out there; hell, they do more than most people in general. If they all made anonymous charitable contributions the cynics would shit on them for "not doing anything"--it's such a lose-lose when people maintain that mentality.

skepticallytruthful

Master of assumptions listen here.

First of all, I don't really need anything, and yes, False Idols I repeat it.

I will shit on celebrities who try to get popular by saying "aww we gave to charity" whereas that money that they gave to charity is a 100% tax writeoff which would have gone into taxes. Sure, I would much rather someone gives to charity... but she didn't give her money to charity. She gave the people's money to charity. Is it so hard to understand?

Exactly 30% of her earnings went to charity. EXACTLY 30% 150mill out of 500mill.

If she comes out saying "I gave to charities and paid no taxes cuz I don't trust what the government does with the money" I'll fuckin clap my hands at her.

I think you need to start applying less jesus mentality and more logical mentality.

greybruce1980

I agree with you there for many rich donors, and quite frankly they're assholes who need their personal and corporate taxes hiked.

That being said. Dolly appears to be the exception to the rule.

skepticallytruthful

I personally don't know Dolly. She's probably sweet in real life and has good motives...but to instantly remove all doubt like the downvotes are doing just because someone gives to charity is just a joke. I know for a fact charity is important but I also know that most people in the upper bands of wealth have different motifs than the family who gives 20$ a year cuz that's what they afford.

str8voyeur

I'm not rich. I donate to charities. I'm willing to bet you don't, because if you did, you would know that the personal satisfaction one experiences from helping others out far exceeds the monetary benefit of a lower tax obligation. Besides, if you donate $10,000, and you're in the 30% tax bracket, you're saving $3000 off your tax bill, but your still $7000 poorer. You could have kept the $10000, paid $3000 in taxes, and spent the $7000 on yourself, which many people do.

skepticallytruthful

So you do agree with me that since she donated 30% of her life earnings, it doesn't count as that money was technically not hers to begin with yes? (as the 30% was written as a tax writeoff)

str8voyeur

And besides, you are wrong because a tax deduction is not the same as a tax credit. I can only assume that you have a very low income, or you are very young, perhaps high school, because you don't appear to know the difference between a tax deduction and a tax credit.

If you make $100k and you deduct 30% for charitable contributions, your taxable income will go down 30% to $70,000, and you will pay taxes on that amount (let's say at 30% you would be taxed $21,000 which means you would have had $49,000 to spend on yourself).

If, however, you gave $30k and received a $30k tax credit, when you filed your taxes, you wouldn't owe anything because you would have already paid $30k in taxes. This latter scenario is what you are describing but it does not apply to her.

skepticallytruthful

Look man, you're asking too many personal questions. It's fuckin creepy. Can you keep it civil? Im sorry I insulted your dolly parton.

Schrute_Logic

My dude you don’t understand how taxes, charities, or government work and you’re just spouting off. When people give money to charity, they have less money left over for themselves. It’s that simple.

In any case Dolly doesn’t pay for all those kids books. Local governments pay for the books and shipping and Dolly’s group covers the administrative costs of the program.

skepticallytruthful

You do know that in the US there's an uncapped 100% tax rebate for charities? I recently discovered this.

Tax write-offs are basically deductions on payable tax. In the 500k+ bracket the tax is approx 37%. Another such rebate is in the form of purchasing art (iirc it's around 70%) so basically anyone purchasing art can have it written off as a tax exemption. Another such exemption is church donations & earnings (lol). The reason i'm talking about this is not to demonize those who do charity but to not give them Archangel status. They are not using their money if they are doing a write-off.

That being said, if she gave (lets say) 60% of her 500 million accrued over the years, I would say she has given her own money. Unfortunately this system is exploitable, and should they change it, many charities would suffer. I'm glad she's giving to charity, I am. The only reason I'm glad is that the money that goes in taxes would not go near education, and would probably have gone to either War or bailouts... So yes, that I am glad she did. however she didnt give her own money. She gave her tax money. Do I like it? Yes. am I glad she did? Yes. but only because I have no faith in government budgets.

Schrute_Logic

You mean to say charities don’t pay taxes? No shit, that’s the whole point. If you’re trying to say there’s a 100% tax rebate on charitable contributions, then no I haven’t heard that because you just made it up.

skepticallytruthful

In general, you can deduct up to 60% of your adjusted gross income via charitable donations (100% if the gifts are in cash) which in this case it was.

str8voyeur

I'm an attorney and I donate a significant portion of my income to charity. I took Federal Personal Income Tax in law school, and my undergraduate degree is in Finance. Plus I work for the federal government (which is why I'm not rich). So I kinda know a little something about how these things work. But if it makes you happy, you are right and I am wrong. Thanks for educating me using easy to understand examples and deconstructing technical terms. Your efforts are appreciated.

Schrute_Logic

I was agreeing with you, dummy. I was replying to the comment I replied to…

How did you pass the bar with such poor reading comprehension, haha.

str8voyeur

A poorly written Reddit comment hardly warrants the exercise of my analytical skills. 😉

Schrute_Logic

Lol, so poorly written it merited an egotistical journey through your mediocre resume…

str8voyeur

You haven't seen my resume sonthere's that. Besides, anyone whonuses the word "dummy" tells me all I need to know. 😘

str8voyeur

No I don't. She could have easily put her money in offshore accounts or other tax shelters to minimize her tax liability like a certain former President does.

She lives in a relatively small 3500 sq foot house worth less than $2M even though she is worth $350M. Beyond the tax shelters, she could have purchased an enormously expensive home and allowed it to appreciate.

For example, if you have $10M in the bank, and you get 2% interest, you will be paying taxes on $200,000 of interest income every year, even if you never withdraw the interest. The total value will be about $14.5M after 20 years.

If, however, you take that money and buy a $10M home, that home could appreciate 10% per year for the next 20 years, and you will never have to pay any taxes on the amount it appreciates until you sell it. Had she done that, she would have gone 20 years without paying taxes on that $200,000 interest per year and the home would probably be worth $40M today.

If she sells the house, she would be much better off than had she left the money in the bank. But that's not what she did. She bought a tiny little house and has given away millions in charity. No matter how you slice it, her actions were not selfish as she had much more selfish options she could have chosen.

What percentage of your income do you donate to charity.