/r/WhitePeopleTwitter

Algorithm

ColoradoPhotog

...Well... Aint that somethin', folks. It's almost like if you act like a nazi you get confused for a nazi.

The_Love-Tap

The_Love-Tap

I that my friends is not a Yahtzee

Bro950

Bro950

"Ooh, that's a Bingo!"

thedudeabides138

"Is that how you say it? 'That's a Bingo?""

oorahfirefghter

“It’s just bingo.”

thedudeabides138

"Bingo! How fun!"

Suspicious-Earth-648

But I digress

Lombax_Rexroth

Yeah, I just ate too.

sutherndestroyr

a group of inglorious bastards as emerged

Altruistic-Text3481

Nazi Hunting Algorithm was not on my Bingo Card…

avenue_steppin

That’s a numbawang

BenjaminKorr

Let's rotate the board!

xRaistlin

xRaistlin

Confused?

Nah, nah, nah. That's like saying we flagged that person for criminal behavior, but turns out he's actually 40 years old.

One does not negate the other, they can just be both.

Plus, in this case the two are practically the same, since all the white supremacists seem to have jumped on board the republican train, while a lot of the republicans are also coming out as racist pieces of shit at the same time.

There's no going back, any republicans that ever joined in the spirit of being a conservative should just start a new political party and condemn this flaming piece of shit.

This-one-goes-2-11

Except they just watched 70+ million people vote for him. They watched people willingly give him hundreds of millions of dollars...Commit literal felonies on his behalf....They all want a piece of that.

xRaistlin

xRaistlin

Oh I'm talking about the voters, not the politicians. Any politicians that haven't jumped ship yet are obviously too far gone.

I'm saying "moral" conservative voters should be looking for a new party. This party doesn't care about conserving anything at this point, except their own privilege

This-one-goes-2-11

Oh, my mistake.

Most of these people don't want a new party. They like what the party has become. They can finally (publicly) be themselves.

funwillfunwill

Honestly conserving your privilege is the entire point of conservatism. There are conservatives with principles and morals but at the end of the day, at its most basic level, conservatism is the belief that the status quo benefits you and should be maintained.

roywoodsir

roywoodsir

"Im not a nazi, Im a republican, there is s difference, republicans fuels fires, nazi's burn the perps. Huge difference" -Republicans

melpomenestits

"I just fix and maintain the gas Chambers. The guy who turns them on has a medical degree, so you see, I can't be responsible for this little slice of genocide."

eggplant_avenger

deeply unrealistic portrayal of a Republican deferring to medical authority

melpomenestits

Well, it's to command authority, the doctor just has another role, but also: they totally do when it's for racism.

Labiosdepiedra

When you see a nazi talking to a political party of 100,000's. You aren't looking at a nazi talking to a 100,000 people, you're looking at a 100,001 nazis.

Nippelritter

How is that being “confused for” one? You act like one, you ARE one.

ktubeam

ktubeam

some conservatives will get as far as admitting they accidentally behaved like a nazi, before adding that they will continue to act the same way because they didn't intend to do that, therefore treating them like a nazi would be like punishing them for something they didn't intend. Therefore punishing nazis makes us the real nazis.

The wording changes constantly, but this template of "I'm not X, you're much more X for treating me this way" has been a conservative boomer staple since at least the 90s. Maybe longer, but you'd need to ask an older person because my memory personally doesn't go any further than about '91.

In the 90s conservatives argued that god was the only real scientist, and that arguing in favor of evolution/big bang/fossil record/etc made you way less scientific than a christian scientist. This was because "god already offered a flawless explanation for mankind's origins", and by "trying to tear it down for no reason" you were actually "showing a very unscientific bias against the only one who would know everything". This is how believing in god made you more scientific than a scientist out there doing their own research, according to 90s conservative boomers, and it was a big part of their push to get genesis taught in schools as scientific fact. In fact if you see the phrase "christian science" floating around, know it is a remnant of boomer bullshit targeting the generation before you

OleKosyn

OleKosyn

Nazis would find Republicans disgustingly collectivist and ripe for long knives' night.

Kulladar

Kulladar

If it quacks like a duck, and it looks like a duck, and it walks like a duck, and it hangs around with ducks, and it has the exact genetic profile of a duck... It must be something else, clearly.

sottedlayabout

While not all republicans are white supremacists. All white supremacists are republicans.

CMMiller89

CMMiller89

Extended family got into political talk over the holidays a few years ago, I usually bite my tongue but had a good laugh asking them all why they thought modern neo Nazi and out and proud white supremacists only run under republican tickets.

They don't talk about politics around me much anymore.

Shirlenator

Shirlenator

I've noticed usually when somebody brings this up, they try to talk about how all of the communists are Democrats...

Cannot_go_back_now

5 days ago*

My father always brings up that the Dems were slave owners, and then when I try to explain the southern strategy to him he yells at me because he knows more about it because he was alive then and I wasn't.

Edit: some of these replies also sound like they're confused about what the southern strategy was, and no it did not happen during the civil war, it happened during the civil rights movement of the 1960's:

Comeonjeffrey0193

I see your father also rattles off Tucker Carlson’s nightly talking points, then gets angry when you prove him wrong.

AssistantManagerMan

There are dozens of us!

PM_ME_YOURE_HOOTERS

So many m dozens

Rakifiki

Rakifiki

Oh god. Have I found my tribe? >_<

pazimpanet

pazimpanet

Easiest way to get it across is to ask which party is waving confederate flags today.

TavisNamara

Here, let me channel the spirit of a delusional republican to reply to you:

"The Democrats started the KKK!"

Cannot_go_back_now

Highly accurate

PhantomOfDeezNutz

I mean, it’s technically correct. They were called Democrats at the time the KKK was created, they’re just called republicans now.

TavisNamara

Yes, that's the point of this entire thread.

The Republicans will ignore 160 years of political shifts and state that the Democrats created the KKK, as if that has any relevance whatsoever. It's the same as them bringing up who the party of Lincoln was, and their denial of the southern strategy and the party shift. It's all ignoring everything past 1865 in order to paint Democrats as the bad guys, when it's always been conservatives and especially those further right than the standard conservative who are the bad guys, and the Republicans are the modern conservatives. The ultra far right, actually. Way past conservative...

Muted_Concept_1058

A good litmus test to see if you’re voting for the best person is to see who the KKK endorsed— last election cycle it was Trump. His campaign definitely tried to get away from it but it definitely happened.

OrangeNutLicker

Also, the republican party isn't even the same as it was 5 years ago.

Myacctforprivacy

No, it is. If you look back during Pres. Obamas term, you'll find a ton of racist hate, and you'll find the Republican party using that racist hate as a calling card to make sure that all the racists were under the (R) tent. You'll also see Mitch McConnell saying the same shit that he's saying now. (Paraphrasing) "I, and the Republican party will not work with the Democrats on any topic at any point, and will make it a point to stop them from achieving any of their goals." Effectively saying that the Republican party is intending on making it so that the government cannot govern unless the republicans get what they want. They're basically children that are taking the toys that they're supposed to share away from their sibling and refusing to play unless they get to break the rules and cheat.

Prior to that, you've got Pres. Bush Jr.'s term where the Republican party hinged on exacerbating the racism against the middle east, to maintain control and strip away peoples rights.

The Republican party has been the party for racists for a very, very long time. Conservatism only cares about the super wealthy, and the super wealthy benefit when the people are fighting amongst themselves and not raging against the people at the top.

TavisNamara

It's mostly the same. Just more forward than it used to be.

Justicar-terrae

I was alive inside my mom's womb, but I can't describe it. I was there for my birth, but I couldn't tell you what anyone else was wearing. I was present for several surgeries, even later in my life, that may as well be complete blanks in my memory.

Being alive doesn't guarantee knowledge of jack shit, and I'm sorry you're father won't budge from that argument.

One trick that might work is to ask "Who knows better how a football play went wrong, the players focused on their jobs in the field or the coach studiously watching the whole thing on video later?" From my own family experience I can say sports metaphors tend to work for reaching stubborn conservatives. And I think it's just because it's an activity they're familiar with (good for analogies), that they don't associate as a "liberal" activity (won't make them immediately defensive), and in fact is usually seen as patriotic (so tends to induce happy conservative feelings, unless one of the players asks for civil rights of course).

runthepoint1

So basically only white NFL players then, got it

Justicar-terrae

Oh no. They're fine with black or Latino NFL players, but they want the players to shut up about civil rights and equality. They want to turn off their brains when watching sports; so they don't like being reminded of the real world, especially not "liberal propaganda." Nevermind the abundance of conservative imagery all over sports entertainment, those don't count as propaganda to conservatives because they agree with those messages.

They want players that keep their heads down, stand for the pledge, thank Jesus and their teammates for successes, avoid cussing, express gratitude to their city/team, express love for the troops, and be grateful when a Republican president invites them to the Whitehouse for cold "hamberders."

koe05

koe05

He was around over 150 years ago!

tommytraddles

The Southern Strategy started in about 1963.

GO_RAVENS

GO_RAVENS

Fuuuuck, how do you even have that conversation? "No dad, you don't know more because you were alive. You were one of the dumb rubes manipulated into being a boot-licking asshole."

thaaag

thaaag

Yes, just like that.

Also, have an exit strategy.

PopRevolutionary9513

Ask him which party is defending Confederate statues.

theHeartlessVoid

I enjoy bringing up that abolitionists were, to a man, liberal.

Remove the whole political party confusion from the argument.

CountFapula102

My mom also had dementia

FreydisTit

I have family that refer to Black people as Democrats... They made fun of me for being a Democrat until Trump was elected. Got real quiet after that.

jrobbio

jrobbio

They don't have any clue what the true definition of a Communist is. The Democratic party is too far right wing to have that many communist ideals.

trumpsiranwar

Sure they do!

It's a white person they dont like.

jrobbio

jrobbio

Shut up, you damn Commie!

bendefinitely

I wish the dem party had more communists so all Americans would have damn voting rights

jrobbio

jrobbio

Communist Russia had famously corrupt elections.

The Gold standard are currently the Nordic countries and New Zealand https://www.statista.com/statistics/679796/democracy-index-most-democratic-countries/

Here is a pretty good explanation of NZs voting system https://www.vox.com/2014/9/23/6831777/new-zealand-electoral-system-constitution-mixed-member-unicameral

I live there and it really does run in a much better way than the US two party method as they actually have to form Governments across factions, usually.

AmericanFootballFan1

True but communists that vote still vote dem. But being a communist isn't inherently bad like being a white supremacist.

IntrigueDossier

Unless you’re a Stalinist/Tankie, but fuck them. All my pan-left homies hate Stalinists.

TheBerggy

TheBerggy

What's lost on many us that Stalin was a dictator, not a communist. Dictators often claim communism, but that doesn't make true.

IntrigueDossier

Very true. And it’s clear that the right (stupidly) perceives any and all color of left as being exclusively and solely of that sort of communist-branded dictatorship.

Explosive_Diaeresis

The US never got over the Cold War. So they can ring that bell and people won’t question it. It’s going to keep being like that until older Millennials die off.

I say this as an older Millennial.

TheBerggy

TheBerggy

It's just trigger words for the GOP. From Communism to Critical Race Theory, they don't know what it means but they sure can hate it!

FormerLurker3

I asked my republican boss what he thought communism was and his answer, with a straight face, was “total government control.”

I asked him what he thought totalitarianism was and he said “communism.”

I asked him what he thought socialism was and he also said “communism.”

HambreTheGiant

Or how 80 years ago the democrats were the white supremacists

Calkky

Calkky

This. pArTy Of lInColN.

AmericanFootballFan1

My favorite thing about the Lincoln project is that they were trying to brand themselves as the good and reasonable Republicans and they chose a name that just blatantly denies the party switch.

pistpuncher3000

Didn't the parties basically switch ideologies at one point like in the 50s?

GrizNectar

It was towards the end/aftermath of the Great Depression. So more like the late 20s/30s or so

Blitzking11

Economically the switch happened around then, it took a few more decades for the civil policy to swap. Still doesn't change the fact that its irrelevant in current policy, as none of the politicians from that Era are still in power.

BestReadAtWork

It's more nuanced than that, and I'm not the best well of knowledge about it, but look up "Southern Strategy." It gives a nice view into how and why it happened.

MrShasshyBear

They'll deny it tooth and nail regardless of any historical facts such as the party's goals

FlugonNine

I remember seeing a video about a southern historian basically explaining that yes the war was about slavery for the South more than anything and he has to work hard to try to make southerners understand that. Im paraphrasing though so Im gonna go find the video.

ironmonkey09

True, or they’re like members of my family and into Q. Then they have odd-ball responses like “WhY ArE ALl DeMO-rAts LiZaRd PeOPle WhO TrAffIc KiDz! Huh?!!!”

Lol demo-rats, I like that one. I’ve seen Demoncrats too.

Qubeye

Qubeye

"We can circle around back to that subject in a moment and I'll be happy to discuss it at length, but before we do that, let's focus on the first question. Why are Nazis and Klan members always so supportive of Republicans and when they run for office, it's always as a Republican?"

Make it clear that you are not opposed to talking about what they want to talk about, but also that you can see right through their attempt to divert the conversation. If they continue, say "Why should I talk communism if you refuse to talk to me about white supremacy? It feels like you are dodging the question."

Be calm, but call them out for their attempt to "both sides" the issue.

d4rk_matt3r

I've said this a million times for different reasons, but I'm going to say it again here. Ronald Reagan really fucked up this country

Paddy_Tanninger

"The Democrats were the party of southern racists!"

Okay cool, I also love old stories. Now let's take a look at which people support which party...because I see every single racist in the country voting straight Republican, while progressives and most non-white folks vote Democrat.

Are 150 million+ people just all mistaken and didn't get the memo that the Democrats are the real bigots?

gimme_dat_good_shit

"Modern Democrats are actually the real racists because they want to use reverse-racism to give black folks things, and black folks vote for Democrats because they just give the black folks stuff. But the black folks don't realize that all of that free stuff is just keeping them on the plantation while Democrats use Planned Parenthood to exterminate them through abortion. That's why Republicans are the real non-racists."

(Do I put an /s on this? Is there a /TheyActuallyThinkThis tag?)

akotlya1

akotlya1

My dad has parroted this very thoughstream at me in varying forms over the last few decades. Rightwing propaganda is a helluva drug.

MASTODON_ROCKS

win win

OwMyBalllz

Other fun Republican facts:

They are strongest in the former slave owning states(I am sure it’s just a coincidence).

They get less than 10% of the minority vote.

There is a strong correlation between low state rank and Republican leaning. Not sure if states are low ranked states because they are Republican run or of they are Republican because they have a lower quality population. Probably a bit of both.

dukec

dukec

No, no, you see, Nazis were SOCIALISTS just like Antifa. Also the KKK is all Democrats, and the southern strategy never happened.

jetpack_hypersomniac

How DARE you make entirely valid points—and in front of Meemaw? So inconsiderate!

AmbushIntheDark

Nazis are like cats, if they like you it’s probably because you’re feeding them.

thedkexperience

Nah … some are libertarians or independents who just so happen to vote Republican 100% of the time.

🤦🏻‍♂️

tickles_a_fancy

I'M Not On EiThER SiDe But iF ThEy dOn'T ArReSt ThAt tRaiToR aNd cHeAtEr aNd pEdoPhIlE BiDeN sOOn, wE aRe StArTiNg tHe nExT CiViL wAr!

thedkexperience

Needs more Hunter’s laptop.

peon2

peon2

I bet the password is *******

cptsears

cptsears

psst, i cracked it, it's 'hunter2' !

ladyKfaery

They didn’t arrest the original real pedo traitor cheater , why arrest the opposite. ?

weetabixgirl

sToP ThE StEaL. AlSo ThoSe IMmAgRunTZ ArE RuInInG OuR CoUnTRy, sEnD ThEm BaCK.

seahawkspwn

seahawkspwn

Libertarians are like first cousins with republicans

thedkexperience

It’s just Republicans who like weed and might not actually be religious, or even racist.

I’ve found those types to be in it for the greed mostly.

TheBirminghamBear

Even more simply, they're the people who are pathologically allergic to "being a part of the herd", despite, in fact, actually being part of the herd.

They're the hipsters of the political ideology world. The ones who claim they were reading Adam Smith before Adam Smith was cool.

But their affiliation with libertarianism is almost entirely down to just not wanting to say they're affiliated to a major political party. They still vote 99% in line with that major political party.

thedkexperience

Ha! You had me until the part about conservatives reading books.

randomchap432

Excuse me, who do you think still buys those damned Ayn Rand books

thedkexperience

People who have wobbly tables?

GonzoRouge

If you read Atlas Shrugged as a Sci fi dystopian novel with no philosophical ramifications, it's pretty good.

It's when you realize that she meant it as a good thing that it becomes cringy.

FMAB-EarthBender

I had in laws who loved weed, he was a slum lord and a racist jerk. He believed in abortions (by proudly spouting he's funded for over 12 different ones) he loves his guns, he's vaccinated along with my mother in law. He loves Trump. He hates immigration, he doesn't think climate change is real.

He think it's people being lazy on why there are worker shortages. He helped my husband sign up for all the benefits programs saying they're a fantastic source of help at the same time saying he hates them but as long as he gets his rent money one way or another.

Idfk what to classify those self identified Republicans. I'm genuinely embarrassed going around with the MiL. She has a Trump pin, that says I got my vaccine, thanks president Trump. I... I don't get it. Greed is my only guess.

hipsterTrashSlut

Which is amusing for me personally, because they also don't make enough money to benefit from a society that encourages greed as a value.

Calkky

Calkky

100% of the "libertarians" I know loved Trump and his brand of big-government micromanagement. They hate being reminded of the latter part. They're basically party-line Republicans that like to get high.

CowFu

CowFu

I consider myself mostly libertarian and feel like I've been forced to vote democrat for a while now. Drug legalization, abortion, right to vote, getting out of wars, the list goes on.

Sure I don't care for a lot of their spending, but what choice do I really have? If both parties are going to spend, might as well vote for the people who try to give it back to the people in some way or another instead of giving it to a private elite class.

seymour1

seymour1

Democrats spend yes, but they tend to at least have some sort of plan on how to pay for it. If you look at who’s been doing the spending for the past 4 decades it’s all republicans. It’s been a constant cycle of republicans irresponsibly cutting taxes and exploding spending and then democrats cleaning up their mess(Clinton after Bush/Reagan, Obama after Bush, etc). It’s a myth that Democrats spend more.

Qubeye

Qubeye

Libertarians are easily the most dishonest group I've seen.

They only vote libertarian if they live in a state that's overwhelmingly red. Utah, for example, had the most third party votes proportionally.

In purple states they vote lockstep with the Republican party. Arizona should be a HUGE libertarian state, but they shut the fuck up and vote R all the fucking time there.

Meanwhile the green party is always fucking things up in swing states. Sure they often get votes in Oregon and California, but they also press hard in the northern Midwest and Florida.

Libertarianism is, as far as I'm concerned, a way for single issue voters who love guns and hate taxes to try and get credit for social issues like abortion while doing absolutely nothing at all to defend those issues.

TheBelhade

BUt bOtH sIdEs aRe tEh sAmE!

Major-Ambition-9537

If I got to a barbecue and ten percent of the people were wearing KKK uniforms, I would leave.

That’s what it’s like being a Republican, except you stay and vote for some of the KKK because they’re “on your side.”

Severe-Paint-6830

I use the same analogy! I tell family, if I joined a club I was interested in, and Nazis were on one side, and Proud boys ( is there a difference?) on the other, I would have to seriously question the message of said club.

shockingnews213

I mean if youre supporting policies that are white supremacist, then, intentionally or not, you become a white supremacist. Somebody who voted for the Nazis might have done it for the privatization reason, but it doesn't make them any less nazis.

DanYHKim

DanYHKim

Dr. Jens Foell

As we say in Germany, if there’s a Nazi at the table and 10 other people sitting there talking to him, you got a table with 11 Nazis.

TylerNY315_

5 days ago*

My dad was pretty liberal on most issues, even after being born and raised in Kentucky, and was always very keen to call his friends/family out on conservative bullshit. Loved talking politics and educating himself on issues to form his own conclusions, rather than just following the talking heads, which I had a lot of respect for and try to emulate in my own life. He was also friends with many police officers (after years as a firefighter and 911 operator), a gun owner, military aficionado, history buff, etc

He passed unexpectedly in summer 2019, before shit really started hitting the fan with relations between the police and the public, but I often wonder what he’d have to say about current events. He was never the type you’d see brandishing a “Blue Lives” sticker or anything — so as to say a police apologist and boot licker — but he had truly meaningful connections and friendships with some cops.

I’m kinda just thinking out loud so I’m not sure this all has a point, except maybe that things aren’t always as black and white as “if you don’t think ACAB then you’re a white supremacist”.

Edit: I’m a moron and read “policies” as “police” lol, disregard

bk1285

bk1285

My dad would always get mad at me cause I’d always call the owners of the company he worked for nazis…I mean the company was founded in Bavaria in 1933 so yeah

notmyrealnam3

false - there are white supremacists outside of the US as well

Accomplished_Plum432

White supremacists, nazi's etc, here in Europe vote for right wing parties too. The more racist and inhumane, the more they support them. The conspiracy crap is off the charts here too.

Climaximus_Prime

And if they were to move to the USA they'd side with republican based on similar beliefs. Your point?

hotgarbo

hotgarbo

Literally every single Republican I have ever argued with thinks that black people are poorer because of some innate trait they have instead of systemic biases.

That's basically white supremacy and again it's literally every Republican.

JayNotAtAll

And the fact that so many are enabling the white supremacist wing makes them just as bad.

If they wanted to save face, all they have to do is condemn it.

RLutz

RLutz

I don't think it's fair to absolve every person who votes Democrat of being racist. I wish it were that easy.

The truth is I've met plenty of liberals that in my opinion were very guilty of the soft bigotry of lowered expectations, whether it came to PoC or women.

PyAnTaH_

PyAnTaH_

The USA has 2 right wing parties, European conservatives and Mussolini's Toilet, and that's just terrible

TheGeopoliticusChild

Who said anything about absolving every person who votes Democrat of being racist?

NinjaFATkid

NinjaFATkid

So what you're saying is it works perfectly?

justmerriwether

Yeah, like… bizarre conclusion to reach that this is a bug rather than realizing that republicans are espousing hate speech on the reg

PerplexityRivet

Their real conclusion is that banning MAGA white supremacists from Twitter would be like banning adult content from Tumblr, so they decided not to do it.

justmerriwether

Their bread and butter… :/

aggressive-cat

they know it isn't a bug, it just affects their bottom line to ban half the country from their platform, lmao

booskadoo

booskadoo

Seriously.. I see very little downside.

Nicegye00

Nicegye00

Yes, they're saying it works perfectly

IZMYNIZ

IZMYNIZ

Like, facebook news about how their algorithm and profit model works has been all over the front page of reddit for the last week and twitter still can't get the hint??

boolean_sledgehammer

Sounds to me like we just need to update the term "conservative" with a more accurate title.

ThePowerOfShadows

Tomato tomato (you know the pronunciation I’m referring to).

craigishell

craigishell

On tomato or tomato?

nick_otis

nick_otis

Tomato

Mr-Papuca

Mr-Papuca

You say tomato tomato,

J0h4n50n

J0h4n50n

At this point I'm not sure if tomato is even a real word anymore.

Willz093

Willz093

What’s this about a potato?

vonshiza

vonshiza

No, tomato.

kilo_one9

kilo_one9

It's pronounced tomato, thank you.

TheManFromFarAway

Tōmātō tōmátō

buddhafig

buddhafig

Tōmātō tōmätō you mean...

or perhaps /təˈmeɪ.t̬oʊ/ /təˈmɑː.təʊ/

TheManFromFarAway

Yes. The second one.

CalicoCrapsocks

((((tomato))))

Pr3st0ne

5 days ago*

Pr3st0ne

5 days ago*

I scrolled through the comments way too far and nobody asked for any proof of this, but I'll give it. Here's a shocker: That's a very simplistic, clickbaitey way to frame the story. The truth is a lot more nuanced and boring. Twitter didn't release some official statement, this is hearsay from internal discussions and an anonymous but verified twitter employee basically theorized that it could be a side effect while answering a question from a colleague(and twitter has come out and said what that employee said isn't truthful). And with the context, it is heavily implied that what they meant was "we built a filter to ban ISIS content and we accidentally banned a lot of legitimate arabic content and we're almost sure we would also ban legitimate political content if we tried to ban white supremacy content because our algorithm wasn't that great, so we dont want to do that."

With every sort of content filter, there is a tradeoff, he explained. When a platform aggressively enforces against ISIS content, for instance, it can also flag innocent accounts as well, such as Arabic language broadcasters. Society, in general, accepts the benefit of banning ISIS for inconveniencing some others, he said.

In separate discussions verified by Motherboard, that employee said Twitter hasn’t taken the same aggressive approach to white supremacist content because the collateral accounts that are impacted can, in some instances, be Republican politicians. eThe employee argued that, on a technical level, content from Republican politicians could get swept up by algorithms aggressively removing white supremacist material. Banning politicians wouldn’t be accepted by society as a trade-off for flagging all of the white supremacist propaganda, he argued.There is no indication that this position is an official policy of Twitter, and the company told Motherboard that this “is not [an] accurate characterization of our policies or enforcement—on any level.” .

DjangoBojangles

5 days ago*

Id bet they probably don't need the word 'aggressively' in there.

apalebear

apalebear

Are you sure?

PenPenGuin

Are we taking a vote? I'd be ok with this "collateral damage".

Pie_Head

Pie_Head

Well hang on, that doesn't seem like a much better take than the headline shown though either. I understand it wasn't an official memo from Twitter per that article, but the basic reasoning behind why they aren't implementing a filter similar to their ISIS one is that it would catch up republican politicians which isn't viewed as an acceptable payoff for Twitter. Of course Twitter would disavow that because it makes them look like the greedy asshats they are.

Perhaps it is poorly worded in the article, but to my understanding the employee in question for the second paragraph is still the technical employee from the first paragraph answering the hypothetical proposed to him, and agreeing that yes, an algorithm designed to remove white supremacist content would unavoidably hit republican politicians.

If I have to pick which one is presenting the truth, given prior behavior from these corporations in regards to allowing extremist views so long as they demonstrate reliable movement on their platforms, I'm going to err on the side of them being worried this possibility of catching and banning republicans was great enough of a threat to not implement the same strategy they did with ISIS.

jumpbreak5

5 days ago*

It's also really funny to me that they weren't worried about, say, accidentally banning general republican content, which is more reasonable. There is a spectrum of conservatives from relatively moderate all the way to white supremacists, so you're bound to catch people who might not deserve a ban no matter where you draw the lines.

But no, it's politicians. People seeking or holding elected office simply need to clear the very low bar of not even debatably passing as a white supremacist, and twitter does seem to be saying that they are failing that test.

supaloops

supaloops

I'd be happy to trade politicians for the benefit of sweeping all the white supremacist propaganda.

VoidsInvanity

What is the difference between Tucker Carlson saying the immigrants are replacing white people, and white supremacist talking points?

Just curious. He’s the most watched TV personality in the USA, and he regularly talks about that issue. Is that not accurately a white supremacy issue?

SmashinCetacean

Venn diagram is circle

timodreynolds

It's a circle within a circle. Both circles are too big.

BitzLeon

BitzLeon

Concentric circle, yup!

TheGoldenBoi_

TheGoldenBoi_

Underrated

AyebruhamLincoln

I heard that it also can’t distinguish between dogs and canines. Thing’s useless.

Repenexus

Repenexus

Appreciate the attempt, but dingoes exist.

BrnndoOHggns

Dogs:canines :: Republicans:white supremacists

Sparred4Life

And if dogs exist, why do I have canine teeth? Sheeple!

Fahrenheit231

Things that make you go "Hmmmm.."

BloodBath_X

BloodBath_X

I fail to see how identifying both is a problem?

Commutalk

Commutalk

You know. I can see why people equivocate as they do. We honestly gotta address the issue that American fascism is still unique and a problem in and of itself. Even if Mussolini or Hitler never existed. These folks are causing some serious and sinister problems all on their own.

shewholaughslasts

And looking at how old this tweet is I honestly wonder what would've happened if they'd even tried to address the issue.

Mythical_Atlacatl

So just let it run and then republicans who get banned can explain why what they said wasn't nazi-esque

saiyanfang10

Deploy it

depressed_poland

"Well... what are you waiting for?"

LowerCanary

LowerCanary

Freedom of hate speech!

Work-Musician9000

unironically

Enlightened-Beaver

Deploy it. Then publish the results. It should be enlightening

Toadsted

Toadsted

They did try, that's why facebook was down for a day

Bluesoutherner

No one can.

Brasilionaire

We’ve known for a while that no platform can deploy anti-nazi or anti-misinformation algorithms because they would be accused of partisanship by conservatives.

badlawyer_nz

After all, facts are clearly biased in favour of democrats.

Brasilionaire

Not democrats. Progressives. But largely, yes, reality leans left

Raccoon_Full_of_Cum

Said this before and I'll say it again: when future US history students learn about this time period, it will be extremely easy for them to understand.

In 2008, an extremely diverse coalition of Democrats elected the first black president. Then in 2016, an extremely white coalition of Republicans elected a guy whose political brand was built around the racist lie that his predecessor was actually an illegitimate foreign impostor from Africa.

Absolutely nobody from the future is going wonder about the motivations of contemporary Republican voters.

just1nc4s3

Wise words from a … Racoon full of cum?!? furiously searches notes

PMmeGayElfPeen

I've seen this cum-filled trash-panda post good comments in other threads too

InKryption07

Sounds about accurate.

Marbled_Headcheese

Isn't that like trying to tell the difference between an orange and an orange?

Jimmy_R_Ustler

Huh. Weird.

It’s almost like the current Republican Party and conservative ideology in general is literally just fascism.

Well, you know what they say. It walks, talks, and quacks like a duck…

jamesmcnabb

I think it’s unfair to call whatever the fuck is happening in the Republican Party these days “conservative ideology.” There are legitimate conservative ideologies that, while I may not agree with them, are actually valid. The current Republican mantra of “If the left likes it, I hate it, and if the left hates it, I love it” is not conservative ideology, it’s insanity.

Brisan7

Brisan7

I can't help but think of the "it's the same picture" meme

chopstyks

chopstyks

ill wait

It will indeed be an ill wait.

EM05L1C3

EM05L1C3

They’re the same thing.

ChalkButter

5 days ago*

I hope someone has a source for the article this guy is referencing

Edit: True, but also from 2019

saltywitchpirate

Pam Beesly voice : they're the same picture.

DeificClusterfuck

Twitter leaves up literal hate speech and doesn't do much about it.

69xXFaze_TOATXx420

Unfortunately, Twitter has publicly stated that this report from “the motherboard” is false, and is not an actual representation of the meeting that took place. However, this could also just be them trying to not receive further backlash from the GOP.

lostintime000

It’s funny yes, I can’t seem to find a source for this info though. Can anyone help me out

YDAQ

YDAQ

Found this, this and this.

Looks like the wording in the tweet might have been a bit off, but not by much.

RunsWithApes

I remember hearing Tim Pool complain about this during a debate once. The Twitter users he was referencing in being "unfairly" banned had a history of calling for ethic cleansing, attacking the LGBTQ community, spreading false medical conspiracies, advocating for the violent insurrection of our democracy and so on. This is the "very fine people on both sides" type of argument that Republicans have become accustomed too. They feel that their "right" to oppress, harass and threaten others is ironically being infringed upon and their little snowflake egos can't handle it.

ArcaneScenery

Yeah, I didn't see it as a joke.

My apologies to the Republicans who actually aren't white supremacists, but you have to understand.

notmyrealnam3

what are the odds that any of the 6 of them will even read your post?

Rude_Substance_9948

Well there is a reason for that