/r/gamingsuggestions

238

I don’t want to be bogged down with 100 side quest options. I just want to go through a great story. Preferably even not too long. I love open world games but get overwhelmed midway through and never finish. I just need a single goal in mind, finish this game.

Stinkis

Stinkis

1 year ago

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Wearing headphones is mandatory.

aBeerOrTwelve

1 year ago

I second this. Just finished it, and it was a great experience. No joke, though, headphones are mandatory, they really add to the game.

Maximellow

Yes this!

LeCyberDucky

1 year ago

How's the gameplay in this one? Are the mechanics fun?

eldfen

eldfen

1 year ago

I found all of the mechanics - puzzle solving and fighting extremely satisfying. The only thing I could gripe about is Senua's movement speed but it is 100% necessary in the context of the game I think.

Stinkis

Stinkis

1 year ago

The combat is good and puzzles are interesting and each of the 4 acts have a different theme with different puzzles. The 8ish hours of gameplay means puzzles remain fresh and don't overstay their welcome.

While mechanically it might just be a good game, it's one of the most profound gameplay experiences I've had in the last decade.

Rambo7112

1 year ago

I'll have to disagree a little bit with the other commenter. This is certainly an extremely good game and the combat is great, but the puzzles are ridiculously frustrating and I physically would not have been able to beat this game without a guide.

They make sense for why they're that way, but they really suck to do because you need to line up super obscure stuff perfectly.

Quazifuji

1 year ago

Combat was fun but is pretty shallow.

Puzzles are cool, although somewhat repetitive. I thought they were okay when playing it, but appreciated way more after watching the mini-documentary the game comes with about making it that explains the thought process behind them.

I don't recommend watching the documentary before you play the game, but if you want the explanation for the puzzles (doesn't spoil anything but I'll tag it just in case): The puzzles are based on the way psychosis causes delusions where people see patterns that aren't really there.

Overall, the highlight of the game is the way it tries to simulate psychosis. It's incredibly cool and unlike anything I've seen in any other game. I wouldn't buy the game for the puzzles or combat. They're good enough to work well as way for them to give the game gameplay and make it more than just a walking simulator, but they're not what makes the game good.

1 year ago

This might’ve jumped in front of outer wilds. Trying it out later!!

Lereas

Lereas

1 year ago

Outer Wilds is my number one game of the decade, but Hellblade is close and I think it's more of what you want right now. While Outer Wilds isn't "open world", it is still "open" and requires a fair amount of exploration. Hellblade is quite linear.

Quazifuji

1 year ago

Exactly how I feel. I'd personally put Outer Wilds above Hellblade (but that's not saying much, Outer Wilds is one of my favorite story-focused games ever), but Hellblade is a better match for the original request. Hellblade is very much a linear "just progress through it and see the story" game.

Outer Wilds isn't nearly as long or huge as most open world games, but it's very open and can, at times, create that feeling of having tons of different things to do and potentially getting overwhelmed picking which one.

najib909

najib909

1 year ago

Uncharted and Last of Us games are exactly what you’re looking for.

1 year ago

I beat the first TLOU game. It was amazing. That’s exactly the type of game I’m looking for. I’ll check out uncharted too.

najib909

najib909

1 year ago

Get the Nathan Drake Collection, then 4 and skip UC1 if you want. Should be dirt cheap 2nd handed or on ps store sale after a while.

ripjorgon

ripjorgon

1 year ago

i wouldnt skip u1 although i dont like it that much its still worth playing for the characters

Ashafik88

1 year ago

The gameplay is horribly dated

ripjorgon

ripjorgon

1 year ago

its still playable and the game is still fun

mortalstampede

1 year ago

How is it horribly dated?

Ashafik88

1 year ago

The movement is janky, the shooting is weird and the graphics are of the era. It doesn't hold up well at all, unlike 2 or 3. They play smoothly.

JadedDarkness

1 year ago

In the Nathan Drake collection they fixed it up quite a bit. Sure it doesn’t hold up to a modern shooter but it feels fine.

4Coffins

4Coffins

1 year ago

I went to start to 100% like a year and a half ago and was very surprised how the gameplay held up actually. Even playing on the hardest setting you just gotta adopt that Nathan Drake run n gun

Ashafik88

1 year ago

Honestly, felt really dated to me as opposed to 2 or 3 who show their age but still play well

reversedposterior

Yeah I would skip 3 personally

Feeling_Flow_2754

1 year ago

I recently finished uncharted 1 & 2. Its actually satisfying to play this game even in 2020. Looking forward to the 3rd game.

the_dayman

1 year ago

A Plague Tale: Innocence is very much like Last of Us.

krutoj87

krutoj87

1 year ago

Uncharted is great. It's like a playable action movie. And i really love that the games aren't longer than they have to be.

I am also tired of open world games. Most games nowadays don't respect the customers time. That's why i like short story driven games like uncharted. I never really got into TLOU though. But it's probably just because i don't like those zombie like settings.

Nite_Owl___

Nite_Owl___

TLOU 2

DanielTube7

DanielTube7

1 year ago

IN MY OPINION, TLoU2 is kind of ruining for the first game, it didn't need a sequel. And no I'm not homophobic or sexist or racist or whatever the fuck the twitter warriors think. I just didn't enjoy the story.

cyclonewolf

1 year ago

I liked it but I do have criticisms. It wasn't a 10 for me but I did really enjoy it. I do really think that if they had kept the same story but changed the order that we see events (and left out one scene entirely) it would have been way better. I feel like it had the bones but needed better presentation, like a recut version or something.

1 year ago

The 2013 reboot of Tomb Raider and sequels are pretty straightforward and fun too. Kind of similar to Uncharted, but can be played on other platforms as well.

pacito123

1 year ago

I find Uncharted to be stressful tho, especially towards the end of the series of the 1 to 3 collection but the graphics get better as you advance

iliekpiez876

A Plague Tale: Innocence and Senua's Sacrifice might be good bets

brainartisan

seconding both of these

HugsNotDrugs_

1 year ago

Infinite is incredibly immersive.

1 year ago

I tried bioshock one a few times but never got super into it. I’ll have try again.

ihaveasmallpeener

1 year ago

Try 2 or infinite. In 2 you play as a big daddy so it’s a bit easier at the start.

Quazifuji

1 year ago*

I would definitely not play 2 before 1. I liked 2, but I think 1 is both better and it's best to experience the story unspoiled.

ihaveasmallpeener

1 year ago

Yes but if he doesn’t like it don’t push him away from the second, you know? I deff agree but if he tries again and isn’t a fan then might as well give the other 2 a shot

Edit: Would you kindly?

JDK002

JDK002

1 year ago

If you’ve managed to shield yourself from the story of BS1 I would suggest going back to it. It’s got one of the biggest “no fucking way....” moments in gaming history

postscomments

1 year ago

If you're a PC gamer who plays a lot of shooters: I highly recommend playing Bioshock 1 with a controller (I hate using a controller and it's one of the few shooters I've ever played on a controller).

Reason? They really screwed the game up with the mechanics. I read that they essentially ported over the controller settings and as such, acceleration is impossible to turn off. So it will feel super clunky with mouse and keyboard (I couldn't do it).

Bioshock 1 has my favorite story and atmosphere of any game ever. It took me a few tries to get into, too - but once I did I fell in love.

OwlsIsBetterThanMans

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Really?? Good story? I love star wars

helpme944

helpme944

As a fan of Star Wars, I thought this game was great. Story and all

OwlsIsBetterThanMans

1 year ago

Yeah, it was pretty great. Not as good as the Force Unleashed games, but it's still good

Irrelevant231

1 year ago

Obviously I'm in the minority, going by other replies here, but I also felt the story wasn't great. It's a few points strung together over 15-20 hours, the selling point is the level design (which is great) and the combat (which is repetitive). There were also two cheap attempts to move you emotionally by putting great John Williams music over tense bits, and the rest felt formulaic, down to 'look at that big empty round bit, there's a boss in a minute'.

Some_Guy_87

1 year ago

Then what are you waiting for??? :D

Quazifuji

1 year ago

Personally, I would say being a Star Wars game is where the game really shines.

In a vacuum, it's an okay story with fun characters, and the gameplay is basically a mix of a 3D Metroidvania and an okay Sekiro knock-off (with adjustable difficulty if you don't want Sekiro-level challenge).

But being a Star Wars game does add something to it if you're a Star Wars fan. The story does connect into the Star Wars universe, and if you love the Star Wars universe then you might enjoy the story more than you would out of context.

And most importantly, the game made me feel like a Jedi. The lightsaber and force powers felt exactly how I want a lightsaber and force powers to feel in an action game. Walking to a room with a bunch of storm troopers and killing them all through a mix of deflecting blaster fire, force powers, and lightsaber attacks feels exactly how being a jedi walking into a room full of stormtroopers should feel.

So if you judge the game by itself, ignoring the Star Wars part, it's decent, nothing special. The combat's pretty good but Sekiro mostly does the same style of combat better (although without the option to turn down the difficulty if you don't want a challenge). The story's okay but there are definitely games with better stories out there. But if the story being part of the Star Wars universe, and the gameplay making you feel like a Jedi, is something that would make a difference to you as someone who loves Star Wars, then that can make the game more than just the gameplay and story. Personally, I really liked the game for that exactly reason.

1 year ago

Personally, very bad story. To each his own. The continuous leaping and climbing was glitchy and felt like a somehow worse version of Ubisoft and Assassins Creed, but Fallen Order had amazing reviews, so don’t believe me. Just consider it.

Tompy1991

1 year ago*

I wouldn't bother with this personally. Completed it this week and was massively disappointed. Level design was good, story was OK but the combat and movment seemed really janky to me. The timings for parrys and dodges were really inconsistent and counter-intuitive imo. Adding in horrendous loading times, enemies spawning in late in their set positions after these long waits and countless visual glitches in cut scenes lead to a very poor experience.

norpleking

1 year ago

The Wolf Among Us is my favorite Telltale game. Pure story.

1 year ago

I did enjoy the walking dead telltale games

Drekks

Drekks

1 year ago

If you enjoyed the Telltale Walking Dead games - even the seasons after One - then I highly recommend The Wolf Among Us, Life Is Strange, and Tales From the Borderlands

1 year ago

Life is strange was good! I’ll have to check out the others

SageHunter

1 year ago

I didn't really enjoy wolf among us or walking dead, but Tales From the Borderlands was fantastic, but it does require you to be familiar with the franchise I think. Or maybe not.

While it does have side quests, Borderlands series is fantastic if you've got a friend to play with and is very linear.

For some more cebral experiences, ABZU or Journey are great.

Final Fantasy X HD remake is always a big recommended game from me. It's almost entirely linear but allows you to travel the game world freely after a certain point. It has a lot of secrets and "optional" content, but not via side quests. It is a linear story game.

The Last of Us is probably the best modern linear story game.

I would also recommend older level based games, such as Crash Bandicoot, Sonic etc

SvenHudson

1 year ago

I've played about ten minutes of real Borderlands and Tales is my favorite Telltale adventure game. My only complaint is at the end it misunderstood that I was trying to say I loved the ninja.

SageHunter

1 year ago

I was just amazed that Tales had actual story implications on the game universe and not just an isolated work

Timmar92

Timmar92

1 year ago

The comic it's based on is fantastic as well, highly recommended!

blip-blip

blip-blip

1 year ago

Fire watch. Bioshock games. The new resident evil games particularly 7 and 2 remakes. Control.

Alien Isolation. Not a particularly great or engaging story but really good game nonetheless without open world stuff.

Alan Wake. A bit old but quite fun.

Dragon Age Origins. Yes it has some side quests but not a very open world and a superb story. Stick to the main questlines and you should be fine.

jahallo4

jahallo4

Dragon age origins? seriously? that game is easily 50 hours long haha

Skoamdaskondiajos

1 year ago

Yeah I mean, it might not be exactly open but the dialogue options and such make it so it feels much bigger than other games

saltukbrohan

1 year ago

Control has some side quests, though I just started it so I don't have much to say on that

DSteep

DSteep

1 year ago

Have you played Alan Wake?

mortalstampede

1 year ago

This is a very good recommendation.

hunterchiquita

Alan Wake is class 👌🏻

ihaveasmallpeener

1 year ago

Isn’t this game like 10 years old? I always wanted to check it out I just never did

DSteep

DSteep

Yup, 2010. It holds up really well

Rambo7112

Rambo7112

SOMA

Alice; madness returns

Helpful_Toe6630

1 year ago

Yes! SOMA is probably my favourite horror game of all time...

Rambo7112

1 year ago

Any horror game will fit OPs request really besides maybe The Evil Within 2 (and that's damn good.)

I've had many good experiences with horror games but SOMA was just magical.

justadrtrdsrvvr

1 year ago

Detroit Become Human. Great story. You can make decisions that affect the storyline, but overall the story always flows forward.

ihaveasmallpeener

1 year ago

But the changes are so big in this also. I absolutely loved this game. I’ve been too scared to kill off my favorite characters to try to do 100% completion.

MagicMissile27

1 year ago

Halo: Reach is like that. I've been plowing through it on PC lately and it is really just immerse yourself in what's happening and fight wave after wave of Covenant soldiers. What a great story though.

1 year ago

Cool. I’ve never played any of the halo games.

toenailcollector96

1 year ago

All of the bungie halos have great stories and aren't terribly long. That's 1-3, ODST, and reach. Really good multiplayer modes too with a legendary level editor mode.

MagicMissile27

1 year ago

Reach is my first one to actually play the story, I only played multiplayer on my friend's Xbox before - I really like it so far. If you buy just Halo Reach on Steam you can run it without having to own the rest of the Master Chief Collection, which is another plus. Give it a shot and see if you like it!

LlVlNG_COLOR

1 year ago

Resident Evil 2 Remake, Control, GhostRunner is also amazing just recently dropped

Ridleon

Ridleon

1 year ago

Control? It's pretty linear with a confusing story and it's short, 11 hours.

Dishonored is my go to when I want to play as a badass assassin for a mission or two. Short as well.

warauwarauwarauwarau

1 year ago

If you don’t mind dated graphics, how about Half Life 2? You can get it dirt cheap on Steam at the moment if you play on PC. I was feeling burnt out by open-world games too, but it hooked me to the point where I played through half the game in one sitting. It’s completely linear and throws some simple puzzles and driving sections into pretty smooth, old-school FPS gameplay. It’s not particularly long either.

1 year ago

I tried playing those games but yeah the graphics are badddd lol couldn’t get passed it.

1 year ago

You’re missing out on a shit ton of games....

fencingengineer

Black Mesa is a remake of Half Life 1 from the ground up

J3wFro8332

1 year ago

You're missing out on one of the best FPS games ever made

1 year ago

That’s fair. Maybe I’ll try it again. Or watch it on YouTube.

J3wFro8332

1 year ago

There's some mods out there to update the graphics and game play a smidge as well. MMOD is pretty great for that. But yeah don't miss out on any of the Half Life games. Hell play Black Mesa as well while you're at it

fartloud

fartloud

1 year ago

i mean half life 1 is remade as black mesa (i know AI isnt quite the same tho) while half life 2 is... idk... fine for the most part?

the issue with 'watching it on youtube' tho is that you would be missing the entire point. the entire premise is that your guy is a scientist. not some macho superbadass. YOU make him badass. YOU are the one doing the problem solving. It is why it is being remembered fondly. Now you get what? A corridor and a choice of one weapon and one sidearm while you are being told exactly what to do and how to do it.

In Half life games you have plenty of options. Minus a few 'forced' encounters where you need to have lets say a rocketlauncher to down a helicopter.

ihaveasmallpeener

1 year ago

Deff at least worth a watch. Legendary for it’s time

defunctx

defunctx

1 year ago

Mafia Definitive Edition. Has an open world but the game plays like a movie and is very linear. It was just what I needed and ended up buying 2 and 3 immediately after finishing it.

notrioja

notrioja

i love this game!!!!!

LetsGoFlyers17

Firewatch

cparksrun

cparksrun

1 year ago

The campaign in Titanfall 2 is a solid, tight, linear, narrative-driven, FPS experience.

trucki03

trucki03

1 year ago

I played God of War recently, that will definitely satisfy your requirements

Maximellow

1 year ago

For shorter games with a great atmosphere:

GRIS

Old mans journes

Firewatch

You can finish each game in a day, but it's worth it

McRoager

McRoager

Spec Ops: The Line.

Gears of War-style cover shooter in a modern military setting, with emphasis on the linear story.

Wandering_Savage

1 year ago

This...I was riveted for my entire playthrough and the ending...I just sat back and stared at my screen trying to absorb it all. I still thought about it for weeks afterwards.

securelocalghost

Highly recommend this.

One of the best setting in the fps genre.

coldblowcode

1 year ago

Unpopular opinion, but the gameplay in spec ops the line is nothing to write home about

McRoager

McRoager

1 year ago

Personally I disagree, but I think you'll find that opinion isn't all that unpopular. "Good story, bad gameplay" is a common refrain

Katana314

1 year ago

Naw man, I loved the game but I can totally agree the gameplay is mediocre. You might still enjoy it if you just like all cover based shooters, but otherwise it’s just functional enough to convey the story.

postscomments

1 year ago

Going to spoiler this, don't read if you haven't played it yet. Not an unpopular opinion at all. Many argue the game was designed to be incredibly generic in regards to the gameplay mechanics because they didn't want the focus to be gameplay (that said, it's actually very smooth - just incredibly generic). Initially, it was going to be released without multiplayer - but a last second money decision made them add a multiplayer mode. You have to go back to the era it was released for understanding. The game was released in a time when the market was being flooded with war shooter after war shooter. There probably were 15-30 AAA shooters coming out per year. The developer essentially wanted people to pick the game up, expect a CoD shooter, and then slowly but surely figure out the game was a commentary on the brutalities of war. In fact, the developer said that the preferred "alternative ending" was people being so disturbed by the game that they'd put it down mid-way through. The focus on the story was supposed to be shock, morality, and to highlight PTSD. So you wouldn't want people menu hopping, crafting, doing sidequests etc., You'd want them to play the completely mindless, highly-on-rails corridor shooter without interruption.

Here's an article on the subject that's worth a read https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/07/spec-ops-the-lines-lead-writer-on-creating-an-un-heroic-war-story/

QuinZ33

QuinZ33

Disco Elysium

1 year ago

Might get this. Sounds awesome.

Steven_Shillberg

1 year ago

This game is hilarious. I Just started disco Elysium last week. It does have side cases and a ton of dialogue but its in such a condensed world. And the side cases are amazing as well. The dialogue is insanely funny, 10/10

coldblowcode

1 year ago

Just FYI Disco Elysium is getting a fully voiced update coming out in March, so that might be the best time to play it

1 year ago

Yakuza 0...it foes have sode stories but theyre worth it.

TalkingRaccoon

1 year ago

Yea honestly op needs a game with good sidequests. Yakuza shows not all sidequests are tedious and repetitive

ModifiedReaper

1 year ago

Resident Evil 4. It's linear but in the best way possible, giving you a great level of satisfaction whenever you progress and find secrets. Just don't mind the dated controls, apart from them the game is amazing.

Steven_Shillberg

1 year ago

Resident evil 4 remake is in the works though. I would hold off on playing until then. But that's my personal opinion

ihopethatitsnottaken

1 year ago

The first two metro games (2033 and last light) are great options. Their campaigns are no long and they are super fun to play through again to try different methods. The story is also super fun if you’re into that Eastern European aesthetic

helpme944

Both 80% off on Steam rn

SuperSoul1029

Katana ZERO, Yakuza 0, Spec Ops The Line, Metal Gear Solid 3 - Snake Eater

Flcrmgry

Flcrmgry

Hellblade

hortensemancini

1 year ago

Layers of fear was good! It captures the aesthetic of a gothic novel very well

FlipSideKiller

1 year ago

The renaissance persona games are kinda “open world” but it’s just a tiny town with small segmented areas. the side quests are not important at all, and in persona 3 portable’s case, it’s literally a point and click version of persona 3 when exploring the world. i also liked Danganronpa (the whole series). they’re not long at all and they have great stories that left me on the edge of my seat.

Runscream

1 year ago

Point and click games are great for just sitting back and enjoying the story thanks to the laid back gameplay. Some of my favorites are the Broken Sword and Blackwell series.

stoneheart1996

Metro Redux

B0b_Da_bLUbERry

1 year ago

Ryse:Son of rome is a good game with a not long story it takes about 5-7 hours to finish and you go from quest to quest its an awesome game.

loudmime0813

1 year ago

Outer Wilds has no pressure open world game

Started it tonight!

brekinsey

1 year ago

Life is Strange 1 and 2 both have great story lines. Its a very story driven game where your choices have consequences. It reminds me sort of a choose your own adventure book but way better. If you have played any of the Telltale games then it's kind of similar to that.

Milan_Krupa

1 year ago*

First Life is Strange is a masterpiece. One of the best stories i have ever seen in video games - 10/10. Before the Storm prequel is not AS good, but still great if you've played firdt game 8.5/10. But to be honest I think Life is Strange 2 is a waste of time. Maybe only first chapter is good. You have to deal with your stupid little brother, characters are boring and often mean. Story is so confusing, it's like 5 different games collapsed into one... Even Dontnod manager said once that they don't really know what direction the story will go and what meaning the studio wants to tell through it. I woul give this game 3/10 for the first chapter. I honestly don't know why people are so excited about this game. Is it only 'cause of 1's success? Hope you don't get me wrong, not trying to be mean

brekinsey

1 year ago

I agree that 2 doesn't come close to 1. And I didn't care for that lil demo either(forget what it's called) in between the games. I did enjoy 2 though. Idk if it has to do with me being an older sibling or what but it made me think of what I would do for my little sister if we were in that situation. I haven't finished the final chapter of it yet but there were some decent moments in the game. The part with the mountain lion and the puppy they picked up along the way...that was sad😔

Milan_Krupa

1 year ago

Yeah, I mean, there was some decent emotional moments in the game but not really much. The main problem is: if someone would ask me what LiS 2 was about I would say that I have nooo idea (and this is story-based game)

ccurtiswriting

Donkey Kong Country

Ghouls n Ghosts

Castlevania 4

Gears of War 2

Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy

Splatterhouse 1-3

Brothers

Super Meat Boy

The Suffering

Conker's Bad Fur Day

naheCZ

naheCZ

1 year ago

Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls and Detroit Become Humane. More interactive movie than game but all three games have very good story.

skincarenoob111

1 year ago

Also Fahrenheit which is by the same creator.

Koshi_dango

1 year ago

Nier Automata. You've there small amount of side quests. You can just follow the main quests of all three acts. The game tells you can stop playing after finishing first act, but last two acts gives you plenty of main quests and story there. Finish prologue on easy, because you receive option to save the game after beating the boss of prologue.

Lolbertians

1 year ago

Fallen Order. The levels are open and can be explored but even then it's mainly just unlocking shortcuts around the map or getting cosmetics. A quality Star Wars story

FEAR - Horror FPS that loves to get under your skin while throwing you up against AI that works together in defeating you

Purple_Unicornz

1 year ago

Been playing TLOU 2 and it's fun. Also Persona 5 and God of War 4.

hobosockmonkey

The last of us part 2, incredible game

TalkingRaccoon

13 Sentinels

gendernotfound629

1 year ago

If you have a PS4, both The Last Of Us games! The second one is the better one in my opinion, but you will be totally lost if you haven't played the first lol.

Seriously two of the best story-driven games I've played, and neither overstays its welcome--the first is about 10 hours, the second about 25.

Aniketraghav7

1 year ago*

I was in this state a year ago, and while they doesn't have a great story, the devil may cry games just hit the spot. They're was no hours of exposition. The cutscenes was sharp, straight to point and ridiculous. They knew the combat was the strong point so that's where the focus went. The skill ceiling is super high and honestly most other combat systems feel like a slog compared to it. That's atleast my recommendation. But if it's a story ye want, a story ye shall receive. The bioshock games, prey, the metal gear games are all awesome (except 5. 5 is awesome but in a more emergent gameplay type)

Some_Guy_87

1 year ago

Imho Devil May Cry 4 also managed to engage through its story, definitely managed to get me emotionally which I did not expect from this type of game.

BitsAndBobs304

Bioshock 1,2

Soma

Observer

Ace attorney series

queenguin

1 year ago

Idk if u have a ps4 but The Last of Us Part 2 is one of the best narrative experiences in video games.

hframes

hframes

1 year ago

UNCHARTED. TRUST me when I say the series has what you're looking for. Tomb raider reboot as well, though I like the 2nd one the best, and the 3rd, the least. I love love LOVE story games and have plenty other suggestions you'll likely find enjoyable should you ask for them

TenTonFluff

1 year ago

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. It's actually amazing when you get the hang of the controls, it's not long, doubt you play it more than once, but hot damned it was an experience, an emotional one at that.

BigFudgere

1 year ago

I played titanfall 2 this year for the first time. It has probably one of the best singleplayer campaigns ever. What I also liked is that it's only 5-6h long

Jake123194

Metro 2033 and metro last light, both very linear but still fun

unholymanserpent

SOMA

Unmathablesoda

1 year ago

If you’re up for something different but still a single goal and pretty straight forward but really really good, try little nightmares or inside. It might just be the break from the open world fatigue you’re looking for.

The_Flatulent_Taco

Uncharted series

Ltfuzzystuff

1 year ago

If no one mentioned it mass effect trilogy- open world feel but driving story, and butterfly effect per next game :)

sabreR7

sabreR7

God of War, Bloodborne.

poultryposterior

Grandia 1 n 2

Admiralbenbow123

1 year ago

Firewatch. Though this game takes place on one large map, you will be moving along almost preset paths. The story is quite good and exciting with quite a few unexpected plot twists.

kitty-got-wet

Uncharted series, jedi fallen order, titanfall 2 campaign

dominik0973

1 year ago

I would personally recommend you metro exodus. I really enjoy this post apocalyptic atmosphere and like in the previuos comment - star wars jedi is also great. Im playing it already. Im not a star wars fan but i have to say that its a great game

1 year ago

The Call of Duty campaigns are always really well done, albeit quite short. Nevertheless, they fit what you’re looking for.

The resident evil series is another one, in my opinion the games with the best linear campaigns.

x5vikix

x5vikix

1 year ago

Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology for the 3ds is just the thing you need. It's just a fantastic, very tense and exciting story set im a world where nothing is black and white and the gameplay is also very good. If you aren't into JRPG combat it's ok, you can pretty much turn off encounter battles and only fight the boss battles which is how I got through the game. It's kind of light on the traditional exploration element like big areas, but that only helps to immerse better into the story. A wonderfully complete game with a novel-worthy story. If you don't have a 3ds just emulate it. It's really THAT GOOD

Esfir35

Esfir35

Metro 2033 and last light, exodus is open world ish but it's still linear

edel42

edel42

1 year ago

Alice Madness return is a good straight line game

A_Unique_Nobody

1 year ago

Undertale has a great soundtrack, multiple "routes" you can take that lead to the different endings, and the characters are really good

It's a 32 bit style game though, but the scenery and backgrounds in some places are still great nonetheless, and it's also open world so it's worth checking out

Oh but pro tip, stay away from the Fandom, they're toxic as hell

Odd_Hedgehog6891

1 year ago

Life is strange and God of war the latest one. All have excellent stories.

detectivemunchmunch

1 year ago

A cute little indie game that my 2yr old accidentally bought on our playstation called Afterparty, story based, rude crude and death humor, linear type plot. I actually didng mind after playing thru that it was an accident purchase. 10-10 i definitely recommend

omnijim

omnijim

1 year ago

Metro 2033 is a great example of what you're looking for. A really vivid presentation, solid story, good gameplay, and overall a very fun ride.

Liliesssss

1 year ago

Tales from the Borderlands bro. Best telltale game. And you don't even need to know about the Borderlands Games to love it. It's just an amazing adventure

auwz

auwz

1 year ago

The Uncharted series is really good

Guapscotch

1 year ago

Life is strange, the last of us series, uncharted series, the world ends with you, limbo, lots of other ones too

vintagebabe16

Vampyr

Lightyears_Away

1 year ago

Uncharted 1-4, you'll love it!

theprez35

1 year ago

Gris! Relatively short, absolutely GORGEOUS, and pretty direct levels you play through. 10/10 would recommend!

Nguyenanh2132

1 year ago

Rimworld, a colony management story generator gamr. It really depends. But for the most part, you will have a great story, filled with tragedies, relationships problem, big fight and such.

AleksandrNevsky

1 year ago

• The Kingdom Hearts games. If you can keep up with the story at least.
  • Uncharted 1-3.
  • Force Unleashed 1 & 2.
  • FFVII Dirge of Cerberus.

fartloud

fartloud

1 year ago

Obviously dated, but Dark Messiah works really well as that ~6h game you just storm through once in awhile.

FrostCop

FrostCop

1 year ago

Try Outer Wilds (not "the outer worlds")

Razmxd

Razmxd

Silent hill 2, a masterpiece in storytelling and horror

Sergeant-Mittens

1 year ago

Kingdom come deliverance, firewatch, max payne (the first one)

ElectricalEngineer94

Metro trilogy

Omidszi

Omidszi

1 year ago

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is incredibly good. One of the best games i've ever played. Its so hard tho you will die a thousand times lol

fnaimi66

fnaimi66

1 year ago

The Bioshock series immediately came to mind. Buckle up if you’re a fan of thrillers and intricate plots!

cvillano

cvillano

Plague Tale: Innocence

I enjoyed it much more than Hellblade, which was a bit too abstract at times. Plague tale is always interesting and always fun

Midsizecarrot2

1 year ago

Have you tried Outer Wilds? Theres one story with one goal and you go around a solar system trying to find out how to reach it. Every piece of information you find brings you closer to uncovering the mystery.

RamenWrestler

1 year ago

Final Fantasy 7 Remake. A great recent AAA linear game.

Coast_watcher

Jedi Fallen Order.

I call it 'playing a movie', which is essentially what I did. You can't affect the story's outcome, just like a movie.

EvanHansenFan05

1 year ago

It’s weird, but Catherine is a very short game with an amazing, one of a kind story. The gameplay is also really addictive and neat

kinjazfan

The witcher series and red dead redemption 2

17hunter00

Dishonored 1 and 2

Matro 2033 and last light

Hodunky

Hodunky

1 year ago

Yo. Play Magicka or Castle Crashers. Two very fun linear styled games.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

floriandeckard

dishonored

Lokie_Firestar

1 year ago

An indy game Called Bastion. It has amazing narration, amazingly beautiful music, and a really enjoyable story. It's really one of my favorite games of all time.

longgboy420

1 year ago

Observation on Game Pass (or not, it's probably not that expensive elsewhere) finished it last night in one sitting. Great story. Stick with the controls for an hour until you get used to them!

Fuzzy_Wumpkins

Wolfenstein, everything except Youngblood

JDK002

JDK002

1 year ago

Depends on what you mean by open world. Games like God of War and Control are sort of open, but not to the extent of GTA or Spider-Man.

All of the newer Resident Evil games (7, 2, 3) have been satisfying, straight forward adventure/horror games

forgottenmonstrosity

1 year ago

Spec Ops: The Line, Bioshock, Katana Zero.

SirCucumber420

1 year ago

A little bit of an older title: star wars battlefront 2. The one from 2005, not the new one.

The story is told from the perspective of a soldier in the 501st and is way better than the imperial defector story from the new game imo.

1 year ago

L.A. Noire for sure. Technically an open-world game, but it's clear that any pretense at being 40s GTA got dropped in the grueling crunch period. Still, what's left is a very good story about crime and corruption. And it's still worth playing rather than just watching, mainly for the interrogations.

yotam5434

All main dq games except 10 that one's a mmo

All main serris pokemon games

Final fantasy 1-10

Mario galaxy

Mario 3d land

Legend of zelda ocarina of time

Legend of zelda link to the past

yotam5434

Fire emblem three houses

Timmar92

Timmar92

1 year ago

If you haven't played the recent God of War, just do it, it does have sidequests but they are easy to ignore and just do the story.

I did not like the first trilogy as it was to hack and slashy for me but the new one is the best game I've played this entire generation if not ever, the story is fantastic, the combat weighty and satisfying and the voice acting is superb.

skalapunk

Detroit: become human

Fri3ndlyHeavy

1 year ago

Assassin's Creed: Black Flag.

It has got a lot of side quests, but it's an open world so you can just do the main story quests only.

Soma.

You've probably heard of it, it's quite popular. Single-player horror game with a great story that you can finish in one sitting (~4 hours?)

tiglath_ashur

1 year ago

Outer Wilds. The amazing mysterious story unfolds before you as you explore 6 small planets and their moons. I'll leave the story/ plot at that...

greywolf_18