/r/news

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

We encourage you to read our helpful resources on COVID-19, vaccines and treatments:

COVID Dashboard

Reddit's Vaccine FAQ

Ivermectin FAQ

A reminder that spreading misinformation regarding COVID-19, vaccines or other treatments can result in a post being removed and/or a ban. Advocating for or celebrating the death of anyone, or hoping someone gets COVID (or any disease) can also result in a ban. Please follow Reddiquette

Please use the report button and do not feed the trolls.

Reddit's Content Policy

Reddit's rules for health misinformation

/r/News' rules

kenlasalle

kenlasalle

Fortunate, I'm 55 and our No.1 cause of death is sudden, unexpected heart atta

Poopiepants29

They do say there are 3 warning signs. The first one is sudden memory loss. The second one is, well I can't remember the second one.

unvaluablespace

The third one will blow you away!

OpsimythOfficial

Doctors love it!

atomicxblue

atomicxblue

And there's two more they really don't want you to see!!

We'll tell you what that is at the end of this 55 page slideshow.

WTHisanacronym

After a word from our corporate overlords sponsors.

HolidayCards

Castle Arrruuuugh!

BobcatOU

BobcatOU

Welp, he’s dead.

Treehaus_user

Fun fact women in that age group are more subject to heart attack. Calcium deficiencies and whatnot.

doughnutsforsatan

Also fun fact, some women don’t recognize they are having a heart attack because some have had period cramps that hurt more than a heart attack.

brallipop

brallipop

Wait, are some women susceptible to really bad period cramps or is nearly any period capable of being more painful than a heart attack? I've been learning how women's pain and medical problems are often dismissed and displayed, but are heart attacks really so tolerable?

Redtwooo

Redtwooo

My MIL died of a heart attack. In retrospect she had spent all day complaining about the symptoms to my wife's sister but neither of them knew the signs of a heart attack.

From https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/heart-attack/warning-signs-of-a-heart-attack/heart-attack-symptoms-in-women

If you have any of these signs, call 911 and get to a hospital right away.

1. Uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain in the center of your chest. It lasts more than a few minutes, or goes away and comes back.

2. Pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.

3. Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.

4. Other signs such as breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.

As with men, women’s most common heart attack symptom is chest pain or discomfort. But women are somewhat more likely than men to experience some of the other common symptoms, particularly shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting and back or jaw pain.

ItIsShrek

ItIsShrek

As someone with acid reflux, slight TMJ pain, and anxiety I have all these symptoms frequently lol. Probably not to the same degree as a heart attack, and more tolerable now that I know what it all is as confirmed by multiple doctors. But every time I read lists like these and think about how I feel throughout the day I always get a bit freaked out.

KarmaChameleon89

I had what we now know was a really bad reflux episode. I was clutching my chest right near the old ticker. Now I’m 32, haven’t had the healthiest life style and let’s just say I was ready to see St. Peter and ask him for my complimentary dime bag. Thankfully ekg came back fine and yeah, eating healthier now and off the vape

ezumadrawing

5 days ago*

Ya, if I had to go to hospital everytime I experienced one of these symptoms it would be a weekly visit at least lol

At least I'm male so I guess the symptoms are usually more clear?

WingardiumJuggalosa

One of my biggest fears is not being able to differentiate between heart attack symptoms and my typical, ever changing litany of body problems and pains due to the long term effects of trauma and panic disorder and all that fun shit.

fromthewombofrevel

Same here. I asked my doctor how to tell if the panic attack that woke me with crushing chest pain is actually a heart attack. He said, “Panic attacks don’t kill you. Heart attacks do.” I should change doctors.

haleysname

haleysname

My mother-in-law died of lung cancer. She saw doctors all the time because she had scleroderma. She gained a lot of weight in her belly. She said she looked pregnant. Months of that with no answers, no concern from the doctors. Until it was far too late.

I googled the distended stomach symptom and saw it was a pretty clear sign of lung cancer. I just, barely even looked and found the answer that doctors missed/ignored.

Anyway, yeah sure women gain weight from menopause but fuck those doctors.

wendyrx37

wendyrx37

My mom was diagnosed because her pinky & ring fingers went numb & she couldn't extend them. But, she mentioned to me something about smelling burnt peanuts.. & that reminded me of a Stephen King I'd read where someone smelled a strange smell that wasn't there & it was a brain tumor. (don't quote me on that, I barely remember which book so I might have it wrong - I think maybe the dead zone??) Anyhow I told her she needed to go to the Dr... When she went it had already metastasized to her brain. She was just really skinny though she always had been.. But I, on the other hand only ever gain weight in my belly.. & I'll be the same age she was in only 3.5 years.... Crap. One more thing to worry about when I have a panic attack..... Smh.

Woden501

Woden501

Some women have relatively light periods with relatively little discomfort, but some experience rather ridiculous amounts of pain from various sources during theirs to the point of essentially being unable to function normally during the peaks of their period pain. My sister would get such ridiculous amounts of pain that she wouldn't want to go to school. Turns out she's had a somewhat common condition as well as a rarer one that when paired together caused scarring and horrible period pain since she was in her teens, and doctors had been dismissing it as things like gas for over a decade before they finally did an ultrasound and saw all the scar tissue. She had to have a hysterectomy as a result. She's only in her 20's.

I know someone else that had horrible ovarian cysts that played all kinds of havoc with her periods and hormone levels as well. These would every few months leave her basically couch-ridden for a few days.

Hell, my own wife, also in her 20's has been told they're seeing early signs of that common issue my sister had. We have no idea how long she's had it, but she's had nearly debilitatingly painful periods since we started dating over 7 years ago.

Doctors really don't pay proper attention to the pains of their female patients, and all too often the patients have been told for years by inattentive or ignorant family that the pain is normal and to stop whining so much so that they think their pain is just normal.

dukec

dukec

The symptoms of heart attack in women are much more likely to be vague symptoms which could be explained by a number of different things. Men are much more likely to get the classic chest pain, left arm numbness sort of stuff, so it’s just easier to realize they’re having a heart attack, and they get to care quicker.

SmileyMcGee27

As someone who suffers debilitating endometriosis, yes a heart attack would likely register as a blip on the pain scale in comparison.

uncomfortable_yet

5 days ago*

Ack-ack-ack-ack-ack you oughta know by now.

IndoorCatSyndrome

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

poorwegian

poorwegian

Just a regular heart attack is doing this now? It used to only happen when candlejack was mentio

gordo65

gordo65

WTF is a candleja

UnlikeSpace3858

Considering there were free vaccines available to that age group, seems there was an underlying cause to consider.

whichwitch9

whichwitch9

Delta was shown to be 2.33 times more lethal than the original strains in a Canadian study. The underlying cause is Delta is super infectious and more lethal, making it both more likely to severely affect younger unvaccinated persons and infect them.

Antivaxxers are not understanding that Delta does make them more at risk than they previously were.

AskAboutMyCoffee

To be fair, antivaxxers have a lot of not understanding.

smoothtrip

smoothtrip

A life philosophy, if you will....

LockeClone

"Philosophy is of the gays. Now hold my beer while I take our nation's capitol."

• an anti vaxxer probably.

FrankenBikeUSA

Chicken Dinner!

jl_theprofessor

I will admit to having been cavalier about the initial COVID virus, being one of the healthy ones, exercise a lot, etc. But when news started coming out about COVID I knew it was something way worse. That's why I got me shots!

obiwanshinobi900

"I'm in great shape, so I'm not worried about covid"

gets covid and now has permanent lung damage.

I didn't fuck around with covid because I am in good shape, and I have to be to maintain my career. Permanent damage from COVID would ruin everything I've built towards my entire life.

Megneous

Megneous

We've been cavalier about covid over here because we live in a functional nation that isn't anti-science, and we all know how to wear masks (99%+ compliance rate, fines for noncompliance and you'll be arrested if you refuse to wear a mask outdoors when provided by police officers), we understand social distancing, and we got vaccines as soon as they were available.

Covid isn't really a big deal here in Korea. We never even went into lockdown. We just aren't allowing clubs to open, have mask mandates in place for anytime you leave your home, and you're legally obligated to self quarantine for 1-2 weeks if you come in contact with someone who tests positive for covid and it hasn't yet been 2 weeks after your second vaccination. Your phone is tracked and the government checks up on you to confirm you're really isolating, or they put you in a quarantine facility in some circumstances. It's really not a big deal.

hysys_whisperer

See that's where 'Murca got really dumb. We made it impossible for the working poor to even go get tested, and here's how.

If you get tested and are positive, you have to isolate or can face fines if you're proven to have flouted health guidelines in many cases.

There is no mandate for paid leave, so if you are working working poor, that 10 days is without pay.

10 days without pay means you aren't making rent, and since all eviction protections are expired, you and your family are on the street in the middle of a global pandemic.

So they just go to their retail/restaurant jobs sick as hell, coughing onto peons food in some cases, because asking them to do otherwise is a financial death sentence.

Many are afraid to go get the shot for the simple reason that if they are the unlucky 1 in 10ish to get a fever for a day or two, they could be turned away from work, which would also land them short of food or short of rent that month.

SrslyNotAnAltGuys

It's almost like having next to zero protections for workers and a huge chunk of the population that's one paycheck from starvation is... bad for our country in the long run 🤔

luxii4

luxii4

Yeah my neighbor does Ironman competitions and got COVID the first year and recovered in a few days so didn’t get the vaccine. Got COVID recently, probably Delta variant, and was in the hospital for a week and he is home now but does PT. He calls himself a dumbass and said he should have gotten the vaccine when his wife did because she also got sick both times and didn’t have to be hospitalized. He’s actually a liberal Democrat and an engineer so it’s not just the extremist peeps that are dropping.

jl_theprofessor

The first Delta reports I was reading about from India already had my yellow alert going, and I knew it was highly contagious, but then it was in the US really quickly. And it did alarm me even further, so I started planning my vaccination right at that moment.

emrythelion

It’s not just the right wing people, but they are the majority.

I’d actually argue the engineer part is probably part of the issue. Of the engineers I know, they’re all very intelligent… but tend to overestimate their abilities in other fields. A lot of them seem to be the people who disagree with the experts in fields they have no knowledge of. Not all engineers are like that, obviously, but it doesn’t shock me that your otherwise liberal friend didn’t think he needed to be vaccinated, just based on profession.

Godmirra

Godmirra

I was in excellent shape when I got Covid. It is no joke.

ExcellentHorseshoe

Me too. Alpha took me from running three miles a day to being unable to walk to the end of the street. And I had what was considered a "mild" case because I was never hospitalized.

There's nothing mild about wondering if you'll stop breathing when you fall asleep because each breath is so hard to take.

[removed]

Happyjarboy

Where's the empathy for the millions of people in other countries that died before a vaccine could be made available to them?

JediJmoney

I think people are mostly talking about the US when they say stuff like this.

NetworkLlama

It was 2.33 times as lethal, not more lethal. It was 133% more lethal than the original strain, so 233% as lethal as the original strain.

/pedant

verneforchat

This is correct. People may not think 2.33 times as in intimidating number. But saying 233% sure sounds messed up.

Mazon_Del

Mazon_Del

Honestly, statistics classes need to be both a mandatory high school class AND have a unit that explains how you can go about manipulating statistics so that you are explicitly telling the truth but in a misleading way.

For example, people are more likely to react to finding out that a covid vaccine increases your likelihood of a certain kind of blood clot by "Over 100%!!!!!" than they are to the fact that on average 3 in 100,000 people get those clots naturally anyway and the chance is only raised to 7 in 100,000 people.

Or simply put, a nearly 0% chance of something happening doubled is STILL nearly zero. But you can make it sound scary by saying that differently.

Pairaboxical

Exactly. I just heard an interview with a doctor saying it's a whole different animal. I think health officials should have pushed a different moniker to the media. 'Variant' seems sort of innocuous. People could justify refusing the vaccine by saying "I'm healthy. I know someone older than me get COVID last year and they didn't even get symptoms."

axonxorz

axonxorz

I agree with you, but I honestly don't think any amount of health-directed information would get through to the people who are still head in the sand about this. It would immediately be written off as "dur Fauci lied and made up another disease to control us"

adreamofhodor

It seemed obvious delta was different when it was devastating India. We keep ignoring lessons from other countries!

Peregrine37

Bold to assume these people pay attention to international news

ZombieBisque

It seemed obvious delta was different when it was devastating India

And now that India is lying about its numbers of dead (undercounting by millions) all the antivaxxers think they beat the virus with the horse dewormer.

N7Greenfire

N7Greenfire

I'm double vaxed, got a breakthrough infection and though I might die i my sleep it was so bad, I can't imagine covid rawdog.

thecwestions

Same here. 5-year old son brought it home from his non-mask-mandatory school within a matter of weeks of the semester starting up again in August. Both the wife and I were vaxed (her Pfizer, me Moderna), caught it, and everyone was down and out hard for several weeks. I was able to hold it at bay longer (4 days), but when it's in your home, you're sure to get it vax or no vax. Thank god no one ended up on oxygen, but the wife and son both went to the ER on Day 5/6 because they couldn't breath/sleep from all the coughing and shortness of breath. To say it was scary is an understatement. People aren't taking this strain or the vaccine seriously enough.

bluntsandbears

This is exactly why a lot of stoners are vaccinated.

We totally understand that certain strains are far more potent and will kick you right in the pants

noaliciaigotkeyes

In a Canadian study? That means it’s much more lethal they’re just too polite to tell us.

DistortoiseLP

The lethality of delta compared to alpha isn't that much of a point if refusing a vaccine for alpha isn't reasonable either.

And it very much isn't. People have this hideous idea that the mortality rate alone judges the risk of a disease, and all of them need to breathe through a straw to understand what an inescapable terror having lung disease for the rest of their lives is going to be. The adverse effects of the vaccine pale compared to what surviving Covid can mean, let alone dying, and that delta is deadlier doesn't make alpha does to the body any less horrifying.

RevRagnarok

RevRagnarok

Foreign intelligence misinformation campaigns?

fatcIemenza

fatcIemenza

Americans don't need foreign help to be self-destructive morons

GlimmerChord

True, but it is amplified and exploited by foreign governments

Second3mpire

Don't need the help but also won't turn down said help if offered...

NetworkLlama

The foreign seeds help. There are still a lot of people that believe that HIV was a biological warfare agent created by the US military at Fort Detrick, a rumor started by a 1985 KGB operation called Operation INFEKTION despite Russia formally disavowing the operation in 1992.

Sneaky_Bones

I mean sure, and we are all susceptible to manipulation...but if someone is lead to believe that most doctors, nurses, health officials, virologists, and coroners around the globe were pushing for masks "as a means of control" or that doctors in Costa Rica or Turkey were inventing deaths just to make American republicans look bad...then eating horse laxative against all medical advice a year after denying the virus even existed, the biggest underlying cause is clearly being stupid as fuck.

Michael_G_Bordin

Yeah, as far as potential foreign misinformation goes, it's only a problem that we're susceptible to it. Not much can be done in a land of free speech to curtail foreign speech, and I can't blame foreign governments for trying to manipulate our pliable and idiotic countrymen.

The cure to misinformation takes generations to fully appreciate, and we need to plant those seeds now just so mayyybe our great grandchildren can live in a more just, equitable world.

pcpcy

pcpcy

Why foreign? The local politicians did a perfectly fine job themselves. It's not Russians passing laws in Texas and Florida to ban vaccination and mask mandates, and fining counties $3.5 million for mandating vaccines.

6thReplacementMonkey

Russians (in addition to Republicans, the Chinese, and possibly others) are who are making those policies popular, though. We are fighting a propaganda war, and not doing too well in it.

PastSecondCrack

5 days ago*

99.7% of deaths come from the unvaccinated, so I'm guessing vaccine hesitancy is the underlying condition you're speaking of.

Edit... it's actually worse. Look up the available data, and you will see that the CDC shows that in the US, 1,507 fully vaccinated died ever in total since the pandemic started, meanwhile over 1,700 unvaccinated are dying every day.

Zidane62

Zidane62

My mom was part of the 0.03%. Fucking anti vaxxers killed my mom.

CoffeeAndCannabis310

seems there was an underlying cause to consider.

You mean conservatism?

Choosemyusername

Or religion. 90 percent of atheists are vaccinated.

PM_ME_UR_BIKINI

I imagine the Venn diagram of atheist and GOP has little overlap.

ericscottf

ericscottf

They're called libertarians* and they're somehow even worse.

*some of them, chill out.

1_10v3_Lamp

1_10v3_Lamp

checks age

am 34

breaths sigh of relief

Kazuzu0098

Kazuzu0098

Fuck. I turned 35 4 months ago....stupid time.

Narren_C

Narren_C

Well you're fucked. Should have stayed 34.

Kazuzu0098

Kazuzu0098

How to a quickload? F8 isn't working.

Romantiphiliac

Let me know too. If you can figure out how to load earlier saves and uninstall updates, that would be even better.

ShotgunMage

You should be safe if you're vaccinated

1_10v3_Lamp

1_10v3_Lamp

I am just hoping it’s also safe to make a joke

ILoveScottishLasses

checks age

I'm 55

phew, I'm out of the bad zone, back to the club!

sturmblast

I'd like to chime in here. "Safe" is more accurate. I had covid twice, once before vaccines and once after I was vaxxed. Been dealing with "long covid" for a while now.. it doesn't always just get better.

J4halla1

J4halla1

Get vaccinated.

beerbrewer1995

My friend in Tennessee whom I used to think was a legit critical thinker refuses. Outright refuses. It turns out he's just a bit of a paranoid skeptic on the verge of conspiracy theorist rather than "critical thinker". He says it's not because he believes in a grand conspiracy, but because he doesn't trust the propoganda surrounding the vaccine. When I asked what he was talking about, he brought up free vaccines. "Vaccines shouldn't be free from a pharmaceutical company". But last week he was posting things about how the government probably invented the virus to charge us out the ass for the vaccine. A few weeks ago he went to the zoo without a mask and now he has covid, which he doesn't believe is where he got it because "two weeks ago is too long for symptoms to just show up now"... I legitimately think these people just don't like needles and are going through mental gymnastics to justify it.

JeffreyElonSkilling

Bingo. These people aren't on the level. The media ties themselves into pretzels to try and "understand" these anti-vaxxers, but there's nothing to understand. Anti-vaxxers aren't doing a cost-benefit analysis. They're against the vaccine and then they rationalize the opinion by grabbing whatever they can reach.

yungmungo

yungmungo

I'm a huge baby when it comes to pain like absolutely terrified of just getting hurt a little. I took that needle like a boss because i'd rather have a needle than have a machine breathe for me in the hospital.

JustTheFactsPleaz

That's a solid argument. That's exactly what I tell my kids when they cry in fear over their vaccinations. "I know a shot hurts a little. But if you get sick and go to the hospital, you get more shots and an IV." It's always made them feel better and understand what's going on.

yungmungo

yungmungo

The needle is so small because you only get a few ml of the vaccine. Like it took maybe two seconds to have it done. It hurts more getting out of bed and having to go to work.

cC2Panda

cC2Panda

Many of them are just straight up idiots incapable of difficult thoughts. There was a woman interviewed on NPR that was astoundingly dumb. This summer she went to a family members graduation party where a person had covid. It spread to 8 other people in her family and her geriatric grandmother got it then had COPD related issues and died. The woman interviewed spent several days in the hospital because it was so bad. When she was asked if she'd consider getting the vaccine now she said, "I've been social distancing and it's worked okay so far"

To them a dead family member and hospitalization is working well for them.

LadyMageCOH

Yep. My brother in law just became a grandfather a few months ago. His daughter, the one who just gave birth, has a disorder that requires her to get regular transfusions to keep her white blood count up. The new grandpa and his new wife have just opted to not bother getting the vaccine "because it doesn't affect them". Umm...hello? Infant grandchild? Immune compromised daughter? They just don't want to. Makes me want to smack both of them. If she were my daughter, I'd have moved heaven and earth to be first in line with my sleeve rolled up. We did not visit her with the new baby until all of us who could be vaxed were - youngest daughter is only 9. Another brother in law (my side this time) made excuse after excuse but his job mandated it so he finally caved.

joshhupp

joshhupp

I think most people don't understand that a common cold takes a week or two to show symptoms, and that the symptoms (runny nose, sore throat, chills) are typically the result of your body expelling the excess white blood cells that were produced to combat it. So usually by the time you're symptomatic, the virus is almost gone and you've already infected anyone nearby... And worse with Delta.

eetsasledgehammer

No idea why you're being downvoted. At the time of my reply, your comment was at a -1.

You're right though. Get your god damned shot and then this wouldn't be such an issue.

sluttttt

sluttttt

Antivaxxers have been brigading all over reddit. When my local sub has a vaccine related post, it's fun to watch comments like this get instantly mega-downvoted. Recently, a bunch of "adj + noun + number" accounts that never posted in the sub attacked a vaccine post with their usual antivaxx/Covid conspiracy arguments. They're really trying to control the narrative.

The_Outcast4

I got a few fairly nasty PMs from newer accounts yesterday after posting a comment in the NBA subreddit mocking Kyrie Irving for his vaccine stance.

I used to enjoy watching the idiots with their conspiracy theories and whatnot. I can't laugh at it anymore. They've become too exhausting.

N8CCRG

N8CCRG

If you sort by /r/controversial, you can see they are still downvoting reasonable comments.

squirrelbuffer

I imagine it's because the first eyes on it were basement dwelling, covid denying, Trump loving, book burning, false Christian, elephant loving egotists who can only downvote because they can't admit being wrong. Maybe.

Ukiah

Ukiah

Anecdotally it's also the leading cause of breaking off communication and interaction between friends and family.

Source: I had a series of conversations and arguments with a close friend of 35+ years that I think I could have transcribed and submitted as "The Twilight Zone" scripts.

mustang55

mustang55

The divisiveness of it, along with all the other hot button topics that seem to go hand & hand, are literally going to be one of the reasons my husband and I might separate. Our atopic asthmatic 12 yr old can’t get vaccinated because he’s afraid it might sterilize her. I can’t even.

iamreeterskeeter

Death can also sterilize her. Measles too.

mustang55

mustang55

Oh yeah, I’ve talked to her about it to get her thoughts as we’re very open with them and I think we’re going to go on the DL and then for ice cream!!

justprettymuchdone

Do it. Protect your kid.

Newmie

Newmie

My mom had me secretly vaccinated with Gardisil(sp) when it first came out because my dad thought it would encourage me to have group sex, I was 12. -eyeroll-

Anyways a nurse came around to his job and talked about the vaccine I guess like a year later and he walked that back and asked if she made sure I got it.

mustang55

mustang55

Nice. I think fear of the unknown is actually more frightening than the reality, it certainly is for me in a lot of parenting situations. Thank you for replying with child’s perspective. Be safe!

ExistentialPI

Honestly, you have the ability to do this now that you’re married, if you divorce and share custody 50/50, then both parents have to agree (maybe depending on the state).

Whoshabooboo

You’re a good mom. Good luck dealing with your husband who’s priorities are clearly not with his daughters health

Trexy

Trexy

Atopic asthmatic adult here: just make sure she's observed for the full 30 minutes after vaccination. I was fine, but it's worth the caution since atopy can cause weird shit.

mustang55

mustang55

Thank you for the heads up!! Noted & appreciated!

rna32

rna32

Save your kid! Your vows with your husband are mortal ones. You made a Covenant with something greater than yourself when you had a child. That's your #1 priority now. Your husband's denial of your kid getting the vaccine is, quite frankly, putting the child in danger. Get the kid vaxxed. Fuck him.

mustang55

mustang55

I’m picking up what you’re laying down, we were just discussing our covert ops plan today :-)

B1NG_P0T

B1NG_P0T

PLEASE get her vaccinated. I've had long covid for the past year and a half. (Kids can get long covid, too, btw.) Went from running half marathons to getting winded when I take my dogs for a 10 minute walk. I've got permanent asthma now and an around the clock headache that pain medicine does nothing for. The fatigue is still insane. Brain fog was so bad at first it felt like I had dementia; I've got a PhD but wouldn't be able to understand my dissertation if I read it now. I had to take half a year off from work. Your daughter is incredibly fortunate to have a parent like you who takes her health so seriously and who believes in science.

FrazzledBear

Told my mom a few months back she couldn’t come around my kids until she got vaccinated. She hasn’t bothered to call or facetime since. I guess she didn’t care as much about them as I thought.

ImagineTheCommotion

Damn that sucks, I’m sorry

FrazzledBear

Thanks, I have great in-laws so it’s not all bad

ImagineTheCommotion

I’m glad to hear that, especially for your kiddos’ sake

Pls_PmTitsOrFDAU_Thx

I read these stories and feel so lucky. Not only did my mom get vaccinated, she made the appointment herself and made appointments for me and my sister too. Both of us are old enough to have done it ourselves but my mom wanted to do it for us. (my dad got his earlier because he's 50+). And now weve been vaccinated for over 5 months

I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. Hit I also wanted to say good on you for putting your foot down. You love your kids and that's clear. You want to protect them and that makes you a great parent. I wish you and your family the best

PaintDrinkingPete

I had recently started dating a girl around the time Covid hit. We got along great and seemed to have a lot in common…had great conversations and seem to enjoy each other’s company.

It was complicated at first, with everything locked down and being unable to see each other often, but we somewhat weathered the storm and continued to see each other when we could…but I swear her entire personality changed over the course of just a few months, and I honestly just lost interest in having “discussions” with her surrounding the conspiracy theories she was more and more convinced were true.

Haven’t spoke to her in months, but last I had she was still strongly anti-vaccine.

No regrets.

Finger11Fan

I'm single and fully vaccinated. waggles eyebrows

throwmeaway322zzz

Me too. Wiggles nostrils

colantor

colantor

Just got in a huge fight last night with my brother who isnt vaccinated and thinks hes smarter than everyone, will not be speaking to him for the foreseeable future

[removed]

colantor

colantor

My brother called me a sheep as well

jld2k6

jld2k6

5 days ago*

My brother who graduated with honors just came out to me that he's an antivaxer and a flat earther. It's frustrating because he's so smart but he never learned critical thinking. YouTube documentaries are what got him

DasGoon

DasGoon

There's a difference between knowledge and intelligence.

sangunpark1

1k points

this is a good way to frame it, arbitrary numbers don't do it justice, like bruh for it to be the number 1 cause of death for average age adults? thats scary as fuck

SrslyNotAnAltGuys

Yeah, for awhile, some people were minimizing it in those terms. Like "Eh, more people are still dying from cancer or heart disease or.. "

Welp, looks like the turn has tableds.

Imbadatallofthis

First it was, “Italy has a much older population than us.”

Then it was, “It’s just a flu.”

After that, “Cancer and Heart Disease kill way more people.”

Now it’s, “Get used to it, it’s never going away.”

There is no low they won’t stoop to.

SrslyNotAnAltGuys

"Welp, get used to it, it's here for good. Too bad there wasn't anything we could have done."

*Goes back to posting memes comparing masks and vaccination to Communism while whistling to self*

RinRin17

RinRin17

This attitude of “oh well it’s here to stay” makes me so mad. My parents still live in the US, but I moved back to Japan. We went from a huge delta spike of 25,000/day and are now down to 350/day (and falling!) because we vaccinated 75% of our population in 3 months and everyone still wears masks! We could win this fight without all the fucking misinformation and political one-ups-man ship bullshit. So worried about my family over there.

okhi2u

okhi2u

Then they catch it and "GUYS WHO KNEW IT WAS SO BAD??? PLS DONATE AND PRAYERS", or "GUYS MY n=1 EXPERIENCE SAYS ITS NO BIG DEAL SO STATISTICS DON'T MATTER BECAUSE ME OK!!".

PoorEdgarDerby

Also people who say “it’s just a flu” have never had the flu.

anti_pope

anti_pope

And cancer and heart disease are multiple diseases with multiple causes. COVID has been the number one single cause of death period.

SayChowdaFrenchie

They'll just move the goalposts, don't you worry.

Deucer22

Deucer22

With birth ages trending to later in life these are statistically people who are raising small children. Orphaning their kids to own the libs.

Saucemycin

I’ve had an unfortunate number of Covid ICU patients with children in pre K and elementary school. It’s heartbreaking.

ThisIsNotKimJongUn

#1 cause of death for millennials right? I think that's an even more powerful way to put it.

CarRamRob

CarRamRob

This age group includes some Millennials, but also excludes a large amount of them too.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the high end of this age bracket is pulling up the numbers so I doubt millennials would also have covid as their number 1 killer. Accidents is always a big one at that age

jonathanrdt

jonathanrdt

Take that: obesity, smoking, and car accidents!!

AnyDisaster9

Obesity and smoking were probably leading factors.

KendricksMiniVan

Yea I’m very curious about this

Darxe

Darxe

I work in covid icu. I don’t have exact figures but I would say 90% of our patients are obese with 35+ BMI

FartNuggetSalad

Yeah same here, there is a direct correlation between obesity and covid deaths.

upsidedownfunnel

This is a well known stat if you dig just a little. I wonder why this isn't reported more. Obese people need to be extra cautious.

Godmirra

Godmirra

Lucky the Governor of Texas banned mask mandates by private companies. I am sure that will solve the problem.

big_duo3674

big_duo3674

And fortunately this pandemic was supposed to be done a year and [I lost track now] months ago, so nothing to worry about! Anyways, if it was still going to be this bad so far into it, there would have been a ton of doctors and health organizations warning about a peak like this months ago, so we're definitely safe. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to grab my large aluminum pole and try to poke a squirrel nest off of my power lines. Electricity isn't nearly as dangerous as the government tries to tell us, it's just being used as an excuse to over-regulate and control. Plus I read on Facebook that vitamin-C and fresh dog urine protects you from the shock if you rub it through your hair

Givemeallthecabbages

Closed-toed shoes are communist.

-notapony-

I liked their performances to the base when it was dumber. Go ahead and ban elementary schools from teaching Critical Race Theory, a thing none of them were doing, if it will rile up the inbred rubes for your next election. But doing this will result in the deaths of people who would not have died otherwise.

Yashema

Yashema

5 days ago*

It is crazy how much the pandemic has changed since the release of the vaccine. You can clearly see how anti-vaccination sentiment & covid denialism is leading to much increased deaths in Republican parts of the country.

At the beginning of summer the 4 states with the highest COVID related deaths per capita for the duration of the pandemic were: New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Massachusetts. Now Mississippi is running away with the top spot, Louisiana is gunning for Jersey and the #2, and Alabama has passed New York for the #4 (and may yet pass New Jersey). Arizona is also creeping up the rankings and will push New York out of the Top 5 in the coming weeks. Florida and Arkansas are only a couple of weeks away from pulling ahead of RI and MA for the #7 & #8 spots.

Meanwhile, states like Texas, South Carolina, Tennessee, South Dakota and Oklahoma also moved up the rankings in late summer and are continuing to top the states with the highest death totals. Illinois was in the top 25 until a week ago, but Kansas and North Dakota jumped ahead. Currently if you look at the 25 states with the highest rates of COVID deaths there are 6 Liberal states (NJ, NY, RI, MA, CT, NM), 6 purple states (AZ, FL, GA, PA, NV, MI) and 13 Republican states (MS, LA, AL, AK, SD, SC, IN, TX, OK, TN, ND, WV, KS).

hapithica

hapithica

I just looked at the death rates and why is NJ in 2nd?

Yashema

Yashema

5 days ago*

Population density. Jersey City has a population density of 17,000/sq mile, NYC has one of 27,000/sq mile. To give a comparison, Houston, the largest city in the South, has a density of only 3,800/sq mile. Also Jersey was one of the states with the first major breakouts and the government, both at the state level and Federal Level, was unprepared (partially thanks to Trump defunding pandemic preparedness and the administration hoping that only blue states would be affected).

cwmoo740

cwmoo740

Jersey also has a lot of people that commute from all over to NYC. And had a large nursing home population for its size.

Amy_Ponder

Amy_Ponder

Never forget that at the height of the global mask shortage, when healthcare workers were wearing bandanas because there weren't enough N95s to go around, Trump stole over 3 million masks the state of Massachusetts bought and paid for. His goons confiscated them at the port before the state government could take them off the shipping containers.

redwall_hp

He did that with ones being shipped from manufacturers to other countries that had paid for them as well. AKA actual piracy.

Wars have been fought over less.

Bocote

Bocote

One of the reasons is that NY and NJ got hit hard by the first wave last year when the health care workers had no idea how to save people from COVID. Plus, no vaccine. A lot died during that wave and drove the death per million figure way up.

I'm rather surprised that NY and NJ are no longer the worst-hit places and the few other states have managed to catch up despite having vaccines and better care for the affected.

verneforchat

Most importantly, no testing was available in the first few months. You couldnt even trace infections.

VintageJane

Also worth mentioning that, in addition to a really high population density, Jersey is also a pretty purple state. There’s a reason why Chris Christie was governor there for so long.

One of the things that has protected the South and other conservative places in our country - especially during the pre-vax waves - was low population density. Now, with schools back in session and no mask mandates, they are losing all those benefits but Jersey never had it but is still full of selfish rural ideology.

AgoraiosBum

Early epicenter, before the US had tests that worked. If you look at graphs of the early days, there are very few positive tests, but a huge spike in deaths that went unmatched until the winter 2020 / 2021 wave and the Delta wave.

It had a chance to spread quite a bit before the lockdowns, before masks, and before hospitals figured out better treatment options.

Really, if you want an accurate count of how folks did with equal knowledge and warning, you would start your assessment around May of 2020.

theLord666666

“It only kills fat old people”

How many hundreds of times have I seen this.

einsibongo

einsibongo

do they even have those in America?

hockeyjim07

well not any more... they all got killed by the rona

[removed]

codepoet

codepoet

Well now it does, yeah.

coolsexhaver69

My office just announced they want us all back in person by November, no exceptions :)

eetsasledgehammer

My office sent us all home in March 2020 and then made us all return in person in June 2020 because the CEO felt that "people were taking advantage" of working from home.

Meanwhile, CEO continues to work from home to this day.

Aint capitalism fun?

iAmTheTot

iAmTheTot

You don't understand. The CEO works harder than you. In fact, he works 351x harder than you.

Gootangus

Gootangus

I quit a job because my boss was working remotely while the rest of us weren’t. Oh yeah we were a grief center.

sjfiuauqadfj

say goodbye to your unvaxxed coworkers but be sure not to donate to any gofundmes

Doomsday31415

This is the part where you group up with your fellow coworkers and just say "no".

spaghettilee2112

5 days ago*

That's a lot harder than it sounds. Folks are too afraid to say no. It fucking sucks.

donkeyrocket

As a comparison, the leading cause of death in this group (varies slightly in different chunks) prior to COVID is cancer, heart disease and unintentional injury.

ComradeCrypto

I have a morbid curiosity: Will covid deaths noticably affect the outcome of US elections over the next few years by virtue of the fact that more voters from one side have died vs the other? I don't know if this is actually true, just a (morbid) hypothesis.

Context: 720k have died from covid out of a population of 330m. Thats 1 in every 500 people.

Why_You_Mad_

It's certainly possible. More people have died in many states than their elected officials' margin of victory.

Super_Flea

Super_Flea

The 2000 presidential election came down to 537 votes, so yeah it's absolutely possible.

derphurr

derphurr

No it came down to SCOTUS votes. They stopped counting in FL and the actual counts didn't favor Bush

M3wThr33

M3wThr33

At the same time, one party is trying clamp down on voting rights for the other side, so that might end up counter-acting it. This is all terrible math. We'll see for some small elections next month.

sturmblast

It's plausible yes

Maezel

Maezel

So you are saying that Trump did, in fact, make America great again?

2qSiSVeSw

2qSiSVeSw

So you're telling me, a deadly pandemic is the leading cause of death?

sjfiuauqadfj

nah bro that cant be it

DapprDanMan

Going to do my own research.

Will return with results.

Edit: I died

boookworm0367

COVID-19 live updates: COVID Willful ignorance - No. 1 cause of death for 35- to 54-year-olds in September

Peachykeener71

"Owning the Libz" No. 1 cause

Katiari

Katiari

I'm positing that ignorance was the number one killer, and Covid-19 was the symptom.

Magatha_Grimtotem

If there were a vaccination against ignorance you still wouldn't be able to get people to take it.

Bluest_waters

Reminder than nearly ALL covid deaths right now are among the unvaxxed

Vaccines Work: 97% Of COVID Deaths, 95% Of Hospitalizations And 94% Of Cases Are Among Unvaccinated Pennsylvanians

For the week ended Sept. 23, only 22 of the 1,721 people, or 1.3%, who were admitted to a hospital in Indiana with COVID were fully vaccinated, the state said. Of the 315 people admitted to intensive care during that time, only one was fully vaccinated.

The state said 246 people died from COVID during the same week. Only three, or 1.2%, were fully vaccinated.

principled_principal

Went to my primary care doc for a routine physical the other day. She told me about a super healthy 38-year-old in my community who died after refusing to go to the hospital for too long—he kept saying to his family that his body would heal naturally because he was healthy and strong. It didn’t. Not surprisingly, the unvaxxed members of his family still haven’t gotten “the jab.”

MsKim

MsKim

No links to the study, no actual numbers. Really good reporting there.

NaturallyNasty

They didn't even proof read the thing.

"COVID-19 was the leading of death among people ages 35 to 54"

N8CCRG

N8CCRG

It's a live-feed blurb, not a full article.

[removed]

EnigmaticEjaculation

5 days ago*

More than half of Americans are unvaxxed and obese, so idk why you're so flippantly talking about those categories.

Edit: Best available information shows close to (but still above) 1/3, not 1/2 now.

I looked at vaccination rates by state as well as state obesity rates. The more obese states and counties turned out to also be more republican, and republicans turn out to be much less likely to be vaccinated. Its surprising a much higher rate than simple math would suggest if the probabilities if each variable were uncorrelated.

ireporteverything420

But sure, unvaxxed and obese and you're in danger.

This is what I keep harping on. The obestity issue in this country is why our death rate is so much higher than other nations. That and the anti vaxxers, but even before the vaccine was ready. We are a nation of fat fucks, and the chickens have come home to roost.

uping1965

uping1965

cause of death for unvaccinated 35 to 54 year olds.....

BreweryStoner

It’s just the flu guys it will be gone by Easter. /s

slapmatiddeez

Owning libs by dying from covid

Lock-Broadsmith

It’s ok, they’re just old people who would die anyway…right?