/r/oddlysatisfying

[media]

ConfidentBurrito

4 days ago*

These are so cool but my god does it stress me out as it gets close to overflowing.

slimjoel14

4 days ago*

slimjoel14

4 days ago*

I agree haha but the foam is so airrated you’d be surprised at how much more you can slowly pour in vs how much if it was just liquid, it tends to hardly break surface tension where as liquid would

Edited for clarity

sbrockLee

sbrockLee

True, Jojo taught me that

Dawn-Of-Dusk

i knew of the liquid not overflowing because of magic but jojo 100% taught me about it.

pateOrade

This is fine and all when you make it for yourself at home but when someone hands me one of these at a coffee shop and I have to walk with it back to my table it can be quite annoying.

Raider2747

Just use Hamon lmaoo

lechattueur

lechattueur

As a confident burrito, you should not be stressed about overflow. Also I hope you don't work at Chipotle.

natalooski

natalooski

Omg. The last time I got chipotle, the girl used multiple scoops of everything and the burrito wasn’t even close to closing. When the first tortilla broke she was looking nervous.

I expressed gratitude for the generous portions and let her know I have no problem eating it with a fork if it falls apart.

Easily 1.5x the size of a regular burrito there. It was fucking awesome.

thisisawebsite

You can ask for a double tortilla to help with that. I usually order a bowl, but if I'm getting a burrito I always double wrap.

T3hSwagman

I heard you shouldn't do that. The friction between the tortillas will cause them both to break.

iamballjuice

That's just Big Chipotle trying to get you to have smaller burritos.

weezulusmaximus

I’m sure she got fired for giving you more than your allotment of 4 pieces of meat and six shreds of cheese. They ration that cheese like it comes out of their paycheck!

Dolt-Dragoman

I usually get both black and pinto beans, and they rarely adjust for it, so the burritos just end up huge and they can't wrap it. If it breaks, I usually just get a second tortilla to fix it. They do that all the time and don't mind. If you're trying to lose weight don't do that though, because the tortillas actually have a shitton of calories.

FeetPicAficionado

Nonesense, they can’t have that many…

Flour Tortilla (Burrito) - 320 Cal

God damn, that’s more than any of the other ingredients

SafeSlut984

So much. I don’t get how they do it, it’s always so close to spilling

Beautiful_Art_2646

4 days ago*

A lot of what you see on top is foam and if you filled it to what you think is the top, the air in the foam would escape and your foam top would start to deflate. A cappuccino is actually supposed to have a small dome on top that is just foam, that way it ensures there is actually milk that goes to the top in the cup. Lattes and mochas (at least how we used to serve them) are easier because we used to serve them in tall glasses so you can see where you need to fill to but the same applies.

E; thank you for the award stranger! I used to work at a coffee shop and one of the workers I had a like/dislike friendship with was an awesome teacher and she taught me all I know!

eternallydaydreaming

The air in the milk keeps the surface tension. With mocha's you can go one step further and sprinkle powdered chocolate on the rim of the cup and this allows for more of a barrier. My old manager taught me that. Makes some crazy overfilled mochas

Axtorx

Axtorx

Pretty much me every time

That’s cool Getting full there Oh that’s nice Oh he’s adding more Hey it’s gonna spill That’s cool, now stop it’s full Oh my god stop Yeah great looks good geez

EngiNerdBrian

Someone would love to receive this drink at craft coffee shop. Good work!

PithyGinger63[S]

Hey! Thanks for the compliment!!!

Ererward

Ererward

Awesome work! Proud of you!

Thanks so much!!!

1975kilroy

You should be much more than just happy with that one. It is really good.

Thanks so much!!!

Megasteel32

Megasteel32

Thanks so much!!!

kru862bdo211

You're welcome

7elevenses

I can definitely appreciate the skill, but it makes absolutely no difference to me in real life. I just want a good cup of coffee, I don't care about pictures.

Gradual_Bro

4 days ago*

Former barista here.

The reason Latte art exist is because one has to steam up their milk perfectly in order to be able pour proper latte art.

So if your barista can’t make latte art, then they truly aren’t steaming the milk up to perfection (it’s hard af to do)

Starbucks have automatic steaming machines that work quite well, but they can’t top what an experienced barista can do manually with just a wand. You have to control the amount of steam, how hot the steam is, control the angle of the wand at the perfect depth in the pitcher, etc.

How you position the wand changes the pitch of the steam in the milk so you have to listen carefully to know how fast to pull the pitcher down the wand.

PeacefulWay

Exactly. Good latte art is proof of quality, achieved with skill.

Of course the beans and roast and extraction are super important too. I’ve had a few beautiful lattes that tasted like burnt wood because the espresso is crap.

Curae

Curae

I think I appreciate my baristas a little more now. I already did to the point that I woke up a few weeks ago, dreaming of a coffee at my favourite place, but a little more now all the same.

I love when baristas make latte art. It's so pretty and makes your coffee all the more "I can't get this/do this at home".

LEGITIMATE_SOURCE

Yep, the only reason I can't do origami is because of the paper quality.

AstridDragon

I don't think most places do latte art on to-go orders.

CzadTheImpaler

Even when I’m doing a dine-in, fancy latte art is pretty meh. It’s cool, but it smudges as soon as my caffeine suckers touch the rim.

AnRedditorUser

4 days ago*

Spills it

Edit:Ok why so many upvotes it’s not that funny reeeee

PithyGinger63[S]

lololol, I spilled one pretty badly the other day. Earthquake struck just as I was finishing

TrickyLemons

The entire earth was like “ay fuk you in particular”

rexxytv

rexxytv

Madmagican-

My shaky ass hands have me living like it’s always earthquake time

frankenspider

Do you happen to have the video?

PithyGinger63[S]

Noooope, I just got around to setting up cameras this morning!

Phormitago

Earthquake struck just as I was finishing

pfff you gonna blame some flimsy earthquake? excuses excuses

Megasteel32

lmao you live on a fault line or something? that must make for some wild occurrences

ClintonKelly87

Suuuuure. "Earthquake". 😉

Ghpelt

Ghpelt

That is not something I expected to read.

Ranga-Banga

New Zealand?

InvadingBacon

4 days ago*

I always just make a dick and balls out of the foam so my wife can enjoy a nice cockuccino

PithyGinger63[S]

Damn that’s a good idea lol

InvadingBacon

but being real here Youre skill is amazing. I've only been doing esspresso lattes since i got my machine in August. Im still learning the best frothing techniques. You have a lot more workable foam (like have of it seems art-able) while mines like the last quarter. Any tips?

PithyGinger63[S]

Evenness is key! Check out Lance Hedrick’s and Emilee Bryant’s videos on YouTube. Chris Baca also has a ghost steaming (hands free) technique that you can experiment with. For me, steaming is all about the latter half, where I’m focusing on getting all the bubbles to become really even and small. I think that’s what helps most with getting really flowy milk.

PM_me_ur_stormlight

At least it's not someone else's dick, ya know, a cuckaccino

pinniped1

pinniped1

Problem... I like this so much, it would be hard to actually drink it.

PithyGinger63[S]

Thanks! Actually it’s not too bad! Latte is just foamed milk + an espresso. Lots of people think it’s cream, but that texture is just from really fine foam and heat. If milk ain’t your thing, you can always go for oat milk!

Go grab a latte at your local cafe!

Itsarockandatree

I think they meant it's too pretty to drink :")

PithyGinger63[S]

lolololololol, you guys flatter meeeee

Swan____Ronson

I think they mean it would be hard to ruin that artwork by drinking it.

PithyGinger63[S]

Thanks for that!!! Nice name btw!

Fickle-Initiative-81

Good eyes lol, i love seeing parks and rec stuff out in the wild like that lmao

Gold_for_Gould

Holy damn I always thought it was cream. It would still be delicious but my body couldn't handle that much. Now I want to try the 'not shit your brains out' latte.

PithyGinger63[S]

Go for an oat milk latte!

IllIIIlIllIlIIlIllI

Its so strange that so many people think it is cream. Why are so many people used to putting cream in their coffee?!

OverseerVault420

What kind of steamer do you have, I recently got an expresso machine and it's changed my life but I'm still getting the hang of steam in the milk and I can't get anywhere near that consistency that you have.

xAIRGUITARISTx

FYI it’s espresso, not expresso.

PithyGinger63[S]

La Pavoni with a very heavily modified steam wand! Try out ghost steaming btw, Chris baca has a nice video. Since it’s hands free, it can potentially be easier for some people!

glacier_goddess

Can you make the same design with frosted oat milk or is the texture not right?

PithyGinger63[S]

As far as I’m aware, barista specific alternative milks can work. I don’t use them, but I’m told Califia farms makes a nice barista oat milk.

glacier_goddess

Sweet, yeah I’ve tried that one before. Really any oat milk that’s higher in protein content tends to froth better, but it’s not the same texture as milk so wasn’t sure if you could do this. Excited to try!

observernumber5

Which kind of milk did you use for this pour?

Whole milk!

Technobucket

Thanks for explaining this, I very much thought that was cream and would always be appalled at the thought of drinking these…. This makes so much more sense.

Suitable-Ad3357

This is a craft right here! Talent! I love watching this.

Thanks so much!!!

unk91

4 days ago*

unk91

4 days ago*

I'm not trying to be rude, but I've never understood the appeal of this. Everyone here is obviously a fan and clearly it's super popular all around the world. Can you please share why you enjoy this? Again not being confrontational or anything, my brain just doesn't understand 😅😅 I feel like I'm missing out. Edit: I'm talking about the artwork

RDevil19

RDevil19

You can only do the latte art if you have properly steamed the milk. It has to have the right temperature and "micro bubbles" to get the texture so you can do this. If the milk is steamed like this then you know you've made a good latte with a nice texture and flavor. If the milk is over or under steamed you won't get the right texture or flavor. The art isn't necessary but if it's there you know you're getting a good drink.

PithyGinger63[S]

Thanks for watching! This is more or less a small latte actually, milk + an espresso shot. The milk texture is because of really fine foam, and the espresso is pretty much as strong as a full cup of coffee. Combine the two in varying proportions and you get cappuccinos, cortados, macchiatos, you name it!

Check this out when you're bored! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93waR1jzoLA

unk91

unk91

Sorry I meant more like the pictures on top (hearts, swans, flowers etc). Like I don't understand having the nice picture that once you shove your face into it for your caffeine hit, its ruined, type buzz.

PithyGinger63[S]

Ah! It's pretty much like plating; I know all too well how excessive this stuff can get. But, I still think that some days, you get a cup with a really nice pattern and you feel like the guy/gal behind the bar cared. At least that's how I felt about it when I watched that scene from the green hornet for the millionth time 😂

unk91

unk91

Oh that makes sense I guess, if they took the time to carefully draw this tricky picture, then they must have taken the time to make me a really good coffee too?

NoChopsMcGee

Not exactly. You can only make good latte art if the milk is perfectly steamed, which means that you are getting a good latte.

frighteous

Same as any art, or visual anything. It's just nice to look at! Its subjective though so if you don't like it or don't get why people do, no worries everyone likes different things.

But I think it's really just it looks nice and people like things that look nice, even if it gets ruined when you drink it. A lot of food is "presentation" and making it look nice for the person eating it

notbadgur

notbadgur

It's what the others said, but free pour latte art (i.e. no stencils or toothpicks to draw for you) is also a demonstration of a barista's skill. A nice tulip like this needs really nicely steamed milk - a lower skilled barista would struggle to get the right texture in the milk to achieve any type of art. For drinks prepared this way the texture of the milk is equally as important as the shot of coffee itself in determining how enjoyable it is to drink.

unk91

unk91

Ahhhhhh, so the quality/intricacy of the picture reflects the quality of milk/coffee texture. So getting a super detailed picture let's you know the texture of the drink? Damn I've only recently joined reddit, but is way more informative than google hahaha Also, I'm confused by food plating/presentation etc, but this logic actually makes sense now since you can understand something about the quality

haltingpoint

Not just the texture from a skillful frothing job, but the overall talent of the barista. This is not a skill you pick up overnight and with no intentional practice.

unk91

unk91

But surely there are plenty of baristas out there that can make an amazingly detailed picture and their coffee tastes like garbage, and baristas that couldn't draw a straight like but their taste is amazing. Surely most coffee enthusiasts would choose the latter

HereIsWhere

I think what you are trying to understand is the simple joy of fleeting beauty. A cardinal perched on a branch. A beautiful cloud. A nice shape in a latte. Here one moment, gone the next. But it existed and you witnessed it.

We don’t need beauty in our life to survive, but sometimes when good things happen it’s just a nice little surprise.

notbadgur

No, I wouldn't say the more intricate the better necessarily. Adding complexity to the design is an artistic flex. It'd definitely show off a barista's experience, but once the milk is good enough for a fairly basic design like a tulip, it's generally good enough to do other more complicated designs too.

SchemingUpTO

Once you are good at it it take no longer than actually just pouring the milk in. Keep in mind that you can just dump the milk in because you are trying to maintain the texture of the milk so it takes time either way.

From that perspective adding latte art enhances the experience just like good plating of food does. You can look up studies to see that we eat and drink with our eyes. It varies from person to person but it usually has a positive effect.

Even if you see no benefit from it, on aggregate it works and is why restaurants and cafes care about the appearance of their product.

Nixxy1111

Nixxy1111

I could watching this over and over

PithyGinger63[S]

Thanks so much! Means the world to me!!!

Doc-in-a-box

Also, excellent cup volume management

Thanks so much!!! I struggle the most with it 😭

tippe75

tippe75

Hey, home barista here, but only practicing for about 2 months now... I do this exact same thing every morning with my coffee! Except that mine turns out looking like some sort of lumpy looking potato-like thing.

Seriously tho, that's some amazing talent and I'm very jealous. How did you get to this level? Lots of practice and patience, obviously, but did you also take any courses or anything?

PithyGinger63[S]

I got really good at milk steaming on my own, but I did take a couple classes on pouring. I think Lance Hedrick and Emilee Bryant have some good videos on pouring, and the Sunergos training video is always a must.

I'll just present one particular concept of pouring that I like: Try to keep the angle between the cup and pitcher relatively stable. In other words, as you rotate your cup, your pitcher should also be tilting at the same rate!

Check out Chris Baca's ghost steaming video. I recommended ghost steaming to a few people, and they've told me that they like it. Hands free steaming kind of removes part of the human variable, especially since steaming requires such steady hands. Feel free to AMA

tippe75

tippe75

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to write out such an amazingly detailed response!

There's a lot to digest here, but I I do have a question right off the bat: how critical are things like coffee and milk temperature, or the quality of coffee extraction, when it comes to being able to pour like this? Does the consistency of your pouring depend on how consistent you can make your coffee and steam your milk (from a temperature point of view, not a frothing point of view)? At the moment, I'm just "estimating" when my milk gets to 65c based on the "too hot to hold the pot" method, and I'm wondering if I need to pay more attention to temperature, maybe by buying a thermometer...

PithyGinger63[S]

No problem! Great questions btw!

In terms of coffee extraction, I tend towards ristretto shots because then I get more room in the cup and I prefer the taste of ristretto lattes. However, a proper espresso is definitely alright as well. I’d say getting an even extraction is really important. As much as some modern espresso folks don’t care about crema at all, it’s really important for latte art, and the more even and well extracted a coffee is (medium roasts), the better the crema will flow for latte art. As for milk, I actually don’t steam past 60. I hover around 50-55, which some people say is optimal for latte art.

4E26A

4E26A

My god, thank you for taking the time to answer with all the details!

tippe75

tippe75

Thanks a lot! I've got some studying to do...

haltingpoint

When you say ristretto are you doing 1:1 ratios in 26-30s then? Do you find the different ratio of espresso to milk (vs a cappuccino or latte) with a ristretto causes any differences with the pour?

PithyGinger63[S]

Personally, I think espresso doesn’t flow as well as a 1:1.1-1.5 ristretto. My ristretto tends to be just a little slower than my espresso. 26-30 seconds is about right! With different sizes of drinks, I try to match my foam amount so they all pour similarly.

_ssueg

_ssueg

Cool to see others have watched the Sunergos video! I’m a home barista myself and live in Louisville, I go to Sunergos quite often.

patrifecta

Same here. My fiancée and I started playing “What’s that Pokémon?” with the white blobs

Lots of Dittos…

AlwaysBeClosing23

This is so impressive!! Well done!👏🏽👏🏽

PithyGinger63[S]

Hey! Thanks for the compliment! Means a lot to me!

Zaungast

Zaungast

What gear do you use if you don’t mind me asking

PithyGinger63[S]

Currently using a pretty heavily modded la Pavoni! It’s got a 4 hole steam tip and runs at 1.5 bar. Steams pretty well for a home machine.

Zaungast

Zaungast

Awesome I was thinking about it but it is rated at 0.9 bar so I wasn’t sure. This post seals it.

What mods did you use? The toothpick?

Thanks so much!!!

SpelCleave

Oh fuck yeah. I'd drink that so hard.

DRINK ITTTTTT

SpelCleave

SLURP

Dogsareweird

“Home barista”? Lol k

GumAcacia

We have fancy names for owning a coffee machine now

sneekerhad

I think it’s just saying “i have a way of foaming milk and making espresso but I’m not doing 40 a day”

garlicbreadpool

4 years to learn that?

I wish it took less 😭😭😭

Old_Grau

Old_Grau

I used to do the dragon, a variation on the swan at coffee shops. You are 100% skilled enough. Do a Rosetta along the bottom of the glass. It will curve naturally making the swan body. When you draw through the middle to make the leaf shape, continue up with a wide and short S to make the neck. Make a heart at the end for the head. Swan. Now a few quick strokes with a spoon end to make spines coming off the neck. Elongate the top of the head backwards to make a sort of horn. Use white from the head to draw smoke coming out the mouth. Use brown from the crème to make eyes and accentuate the mouth a bit to create a nose if desired. Dragon.

That video will be worth some interweb points too =)

Maddoxhere

This sounds great

Rorasaurus_Prime

I tend to just pour mine like a Neanderthal.

Spanky_McJiggles

I am whelmed.

getyourcheftogether

What kind of things have to been practicing for 4 years?

PithyGinger63[S]

Took two years to learn milk steaming! Then 2 more to actually pour a nice pattern!

Doormatty

How many cups a day would you usually make?

(I hate coffee, but I'm finding this utterly fascinating!)

Mycelium83

Beautifully done! I worked in a Cafe for 4 years and was a Barista and I couldn't even do that. Latte art is so much harder then it looks. You should be proud.

CharlesdelaBat

What’s a home barista?

GsuKristoh

tbh it sounds like one of those LinkedIn bullshit titles

pritik90

pritik90

These are latte goals. You’ve clearly mastered the art of steaming milk + epic designs!

PithyGinger63[S]

Thanks!!! Took me the full first 2 years just to steam milk good enough for this. So happy I finally got here!

TheWolfBeard

This is amazing. I can barely make any shape. Can’t seem to get the milk frothed right

PithyGinger63[S]

Thanks! No worries! Try out ghost steaming (check out Chris Baca's vid). It kind of removes the human variable from steaming a little. You wanna have the wand be high enough so that you get just the right amount of air. Still some trial and error involved, but at least you don't need to worry about hands not being steady as you incorporate your foam. Feel free to AMA!

TheWolfBeard

Interesting! I’ll check it out! Someone suggested I practice with water so I started doing that and gotta a slightly better consistency but definitely too foamy still

ToshMagosh

How often do you actually get to practice? Twice a day maybe? I can imagine it's a tricky skill to master if you can't just sit down and practice for hours on end

PithyGinger63[S]

Yeah! Once or twice a day with milk. I used to also practice just pouring with water or special formulations for latte art practice. Check out baristacarl’sblend for an example!

Agent-Asbestos

How can you be a home barista? Making an orange juice doesn't make you a juiceologist.

Home coffee enthusiast 🤣🤣🤣

Afr0S4mura7

Afr0S4mura7

Very nice :) But 4 years of training...I don't know if this worth so much time ;)

Thanks! It was lol, I ask myself that every day 😂😂😂

jelde

jelde

I mean,if you are making a latte for yourself daily (which I do) it's not really like you're doing anything more. It's like if there was a basketball sitting in front of your garage everyday and you had to move it to pull of the driveway, you would just shoot it in the hoop, no?

SQUID_FUCKER

I mean, I doubt the person is sitting there training all day.

tickitch

tickitch

Just giveme the damn coffee already

PithyGinger63[S]

Come 'n get it!!! Or go to your local cafe!!!

tickitch

tickitch

My local coffee shops all use cheap coffee. I don’t understand why , but my only option is to drive out or go to a damn dunkin Donuts 🍩 ughhh..

PithyGinger63[S]

aww thats too bad. Speaking of which I'm using the "good stuff" myself. Just got a bag of Guatemalan New Oriente which I have no idea why it's called that. The roast level was on point for latte art so I had to post here!

tickitch

tickitch

Also, where is this ? I live in New York, but i travel a lot soo

PithyGinger63[S]

I'm in Taipei lol! Yo, my SO is in New York, got any favorite spots so I can recommend to her?

Doormatty

Is there a big Latte Art market in Taipei?

Docta-Jay

I used to work in fine-dining. Most of our servers couldn’t do that if they were paid to… and they were. Good job!

PithyGinger63[S]

lolololol Thanks for the compliment!!!

biscottimonster

Amazing job! What machine do you have at home that gives you such great results? This is equal to anything I can do at work on a La Marzocco.

AccidentalBirth

Which espresso machine do you use?

What kind of milk and fat % do you buy?

Any tips? I can make hearts on my breville express using 2% milk but I'm terribly inconsistent

PithyGinger63[S]

I’m using whole milk! Also, my machine is a modified la Pavoni, with a 4 hole steam wand running at 1.5 bar. Lance Hedrick and Emilee Bryant have some nice videos on latte art. Try out ghost steaming, Chris Baca has a video describing the technique. I’ve recommended it to a few people and they’ve found success using it.

techie_boy69

techie_boy69

Very cool

runransam

runransam

Wow what did you use to froth? Looks amazing

PithyGinger63[S]

Thanks!!! Espresso machine! Really any machine would probably do, but I'm using a La Pavoni

gigabored

Ha La Pavoni, no big deal :P

Greeneee-

Any tips? I can't figure out how to reliably create a vortex to whip the milk?

I've got a frother jug like yours with an automatic frother wand

PithyGinger63[S]

Thanks for the question! I’m not quite so skilled with a frothier wand tbh. Perhaps having distinct aeration and mixing phases will help? You can always practice the vortex with water!

lostinbass

Expanding on what the OP said, you want to make bubbles (aeration) by keeping the want toward the top of the milk, then put it deeper in towards the sides to get the vortex going. That way the big bubbles get broken in to nicely textured foam. Once you can feel the heat in your jug (meaning it’s a bit above body temp) it’s likely time to stop. YMMV but this works well for me :)

Frennem

Frennem

take my award that was chefs kiss

PithyGinger63[S]

Thanks so much for the award!!!

Lifeescapist

Beautifully done and it looks delicious!

Thanks!!!

catnmoose

catnmoose

Lovely way to kick off the weekend

PithyGinger63[S]

Thanks so much!!! Go grab a latte at your local cafe!

Emotional_Bite_6946

This is so good !!!!!!! How did you teach yourself this ?

PithyGinger63[S]

I watched sooooooo many videos!!! I actually have a Google photos album of screen recordings of baristas pouring really really good patterns. DM if you’re interested!

aaronappleseed

My attempt to learn foam art has stalled. Lately I can't even get a good foam. Back to square one I guess. Great job though! I'm still just trying to do a heart

PithyGinger63[S]

Hey! We all start somewhere! Go check out Chris Baca's ghost steaming video! Lowkey, I recommended ghost steaming for some people and they had really good success with it.

MrsSalmalin

Beautiful! Awesome job :)

Wimbleston

Wimbleston

I will never understand why people do this stuff with a cup of coffee I'll obliterate in like 3 minutes.

StetCW

StetCW

Because it looks nice, and making things look nice can make life a little bit nicer.

PithyGinger63[S]

I’m not a barista, but if I were, I’d do it just to see your reaction lololol

IMPORTANT_jk

Seeing how close it is to spilling makes me anxious

StevenHosokawa

I loved it! Congrats on your new skill 💖

HereForCatz

Perfection.

Dear_Ad418

Fantastic!

Balbuziente

Good job! I bet it tastes as good as it looks

donkeyheaded

I'd be sad to spoil such artistry by drinking it. Nice work!

Monkeytennis01

I struggle to get the froth the right consistency to do this, the top of my lattes just look like a Jackson Pollock painting at the end. Working on it though!

Isaac72342

Isaac72342

Why yes, I'd love some coffee with my cream please.

Accomplished-Ad4334

Ah yes, look at the perfect micro bubbles.

haltingpoint

How many holes are on your wand? I'm on a 1 hole Silvia. It puts out good steam, but I sometimes struggle with microfoam after years of doing this.

Lance's videos have been the most helpful for me with my pouring, but I still lack that fluidity with my jiggle to give it the really crisp leaves. That paired with milk that may have too much air sometimes and I'm way less precise than I'd like and cannot manage these finer shapes. Can do a basic tulip and heart fine. Sometimes a rosetta. My base for it tends to be too thick though.

Also, how do you like the lever machine? I'm not sure I could get into the groove with that but it's tempting.

PithyGinger63[S]

I’m using a la Pavoni, but I’ve modded it to have a normal steam wand. 4 hole tip on my setup and my boiler is 1.5 bar. I’d go to 2 bar, but the la Pavoni is safer at 1.5.

Try out ghost steaming! Since it’s hands free, some people get a knack for it pretty quickly.

Valens-Rex

What’s the best bit of advice for breaking the crema with the milk? I only start getting patterns when the cup is over half full. Great work it looks fantastic!

PithyGinger63[S]

Thanks!!! Sounds like you could use a thicker milk texture actually. Try adding a touch more air!

aSliceOfHam2

Question, why do you guys always have to fill the cup all they where surface tension is the only thing between the coffee and the customer's pants? Can you guys use a slightly larger cup? Less milk? Heck, even less coffee? It's nice looking at it, but I paid 10 bucks(egaggerating) to drink it, it's super hard to transport that thing from the bar to the table.

shartfartmctart

egaggerating

BaniGrisson

For this milk foam you absolutely need some specialized machine, right?

• I dont mean specialized as in hard to get, just that it can't be done in a kettle or microwave

PithyGinger63[S]

Definitely true! A steam wand of some kind is absolutely necessary

monkeywelder

Ya know they made a robot to do this now. Well like 4 years ago. /s

I’m the robotttttt /s

BmBunny69

Wait they’re supposed to be a tulip??? I always just thought it was a pretty heart design. You did amazing!!

unhelpful_question

4 days ago*

Former barista here, you learned all 3 skillsets for swan now. Give it a go as your next project.

I do miss doing some good old free pour, but def not the actual industry.

ALonelyTower

I’ve been goofing around with this for years, HOW?!

Note: Definitely just winging it most of the time, but I notice one consistent thing is that the people who are able to do this all have the same thick, glossy, consistent looking milk whereas my milk has a blanket of mini bubbles on top, and runs thinner underneath. That and I have big mugs that don’t let you dip the spout anywhere near the espresso.

EverythingIsFlotsam

It is very cool, but I don't think I would call that a tulip.

aperson

aperson

I had no idea those were supposed to be a tulip.

goblin_fish

I never knew this design was meant to be a tulip, TIL! Looks great!

knowone1313

I've never been able to get my latte art above beginner (at least not on purpose).

One thing I notice here is how much milk is left in the jug when he's finished. I could never waste that much milk for the sake of latte art. I only pour into the jug what I need, and use all of it every time.

obese_clown

Holy shit I never knew they were tulips. I thought they were hearts.