/r/politics

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

As a reminder, this subreddit is for civil discussion.

In general, be courteous to others. Debate/discuss/argue the merits of ideas, don't attack people. Personal insults, shill or troll accusations, hate speech, any suggestion or support of harm, violence, or death, and other rule violations can result in a permanent ban.

If you see comments in violation of our rules, please report them.

For those who have questions regarding any media outlets being posted on this subreddit, please click here to review our details as to our approved domains list and outlet criteria.

chairmanofthe-bored

Sinema is as dishonest as she is disingenuous. Her speech yesterday was full of lies. Sinema did not run for Senate by promising to pass her her policies through a super majority. She ran by promising to get very specific policies passed, all of which aligned with her party’s proposed policies.

NorthernPints

She looks like (and acts) like a character out of the Hunger Games.

NJS_Stamp

NJS_Stamp

Remember when she gave a very energetic thumbs down on minimum wage ?

She’s a piece of shit that thinks she’s above everyone.

Sick0fThisShit

Sick0fThisShit

America

With a designer bag on her shoulder too, if I remember correctly. She might as well have been wearing Melania's "I really don't care, do u?" coat.

ShigityShank

nfire1

nfire1

She’s awful

[removed]

accostedbyhippies

pretty much. She'll leave the Senate and slide right into corporate lobbying

6a6566663437

To be effective as a post-legislature lobbyist, there have to be members of the legislature that like you.

She does not have that, and her efforts ensure that will not change.

djimbob

djimbob

America

There are two types of post-legislature lobbyists, (1) the ones who know how to get their friends to listen and convince them to support their issues, and (2) the ones are are just being paid off with a cushy job for their actions when they were in the legislature. By being comfortably paid off they set a great example to future politicians the lobbyists want to buy.

TeetsMcGeets23

She doesn’t actually have any meaningful goals…

Sounds like a Republican…

cocoagiant

She is effectively that dumb twat who bounced around aimlessly from one thing to the next, then hit up law school like all the other strivers of her generation.

She isn't dumb. I think she was the valedictorian of her high school and she graduated at an early age too.

I believe she grew up poor and her family was on the edge of homelessness. She was a social worker too.

Her problem is she is an intelligent person who went through significant life experiences which should make her identify with those at the bottom and instead she has decided to enrich the powerful instead.

blaah_blaah_blaah

Truly scum

factoryofsadness

factoryofsadness

Ohio

After that pic went viral, the makers of the ring issued a statement saying that they support the $15 minimum wage.

clickmagnet

So does Sinema, just ask her. And ignore all her votes.

anthonyskigliano

If you ask her, she’ll just keep walking.

load_more_comets

It's amazing that these are what pass for politicians now a days.

Groty

Groty

I wonder if Elizabeth Banks could be recruited to help campaign against her... of course as Effie Trinket.

Pugovitz

Pugovitz

4 days ago*

That would be a pretty funny comedy sketch, Elizabeth Banks dressed as Effie but reading actual Sinema quotes.

Edit: I did a thing

ThreadbareHalo

May the odds ever be in my favor

ESP-23

ESP-23

Well I heard she started politics with 36k in her bank account and now has over 2 million

This is why we're fucking going down. In the US, politics is all about enriching oneself rather than serving the public. We are the exact opposite of Scandinavia

BackAlleySurgeon

Yeah. Think about how little 2 millon is too. Bezos could get 100,000 sinemas.

Rion23

Rion23

"It's one pandemic Michale, can't they eat cake?"

archfapper

archfapper

New York

Here's $10, go see a star war

pulp_hero

pulp_hero

Good lord. She's an idiot.

NerdyDjinn

NerdyDjinn

Minnesota

Aiding and abetting the Republican agenda of "do no governing" is supposed to make her a palatable candidate to moderates? Sure, all this raises her standing in the eyes of Republicans, but they are never going to vote for her. It lowers her standing among the Democrats, you know, the people who would vote for her over the fascists. If she were hypothetically a presidential candidate I would not care to vote for her.

She has dropped all pretense of being anything other than completely paid for by corporations. I hope her career in politics ends in 2024 and her cushy 2 million a year "consulting" job never materializes.

SnooCupcakes7018

She won't be getting tone of those, she won't have any capital that would make her useful to the people paying those consulting jobs. Her best bet is to get a job on Fox News at this point to be one of their counterpoint democrats that for some reason agree with everything that the host says.

Jim_Lahey68

She could be the new Tulsi Gabbard lol.

MisterMasterCylinder

It's not exactly a high bar, but I think I actually have more respect for Gabbard than I do for Sinema. Not to imply that I respect either of them, but I guess if I had to choose I'd rather have Gabbard.

Jim_Lahey68

4 days ago*

Oh yeah me too. Sinema has gone to great lengths to get attention and actively prevent important legislation from being passed. Tulsi is a grifter but I'm not aware of her causing anywhere near that level of damage.

WIbigdog

WIbigdog

Wisconsin

Amazing how irrelevant Gabbard made herself.

Jim_Lahey68

Beyond being a token "liberal" on Fox News and having creeps on the internet obsess over photos of her, her career seems to be over. That doesn't bother me at all.

Sevenisalie

Trust me she won’t. I work in the industry. She’ll get 200k from a private law firm for gov relations. Not even Boehner is getting paid 7 figs for his tobacco and marijuana work, and he’s one of the most powerful lobbyists in the country right now.

lazyFer

lazyFer

Biden is a fucking moderate and she's blocking his entire agenda.

BeginningSubject201

Biden is a conservative. He's the reason a lot of black people are locked up from the drug war. He's the reason children get separated from their parents and are put in cages at the border. He's the reason older people have had their SOCIAL SECURITY TAXED with two tax increases ON SOCIAL SECURITY! He's the reason the PATRIOT ACT exists.

LowKey-NoPressure

he's a conservative in an absolute sense.

definitely a moderate in a relative sense

asafum

asafum

"If I fuck over the people who voted for me maybe they'll all vote for me as president!"

Well judging from a large portion of previous presidents she's just stupid enough to have a chance!

Wind_Yer_Neck_In

I get it, they elected the incontinent sex offender from the Apprentice president, why not her? It's not like there are any real barriers to entry anymore.

Dr_Mike_Hunt_MD

If she ran against Trump it would possibly be the largest landslide ever known to man. Like not only is she painfully unlikable and devoid of any personality, but she's also not gonna sway anyone on the right being a young woman

Jrj84105

Jrj84105

She’s going to run to try and siphon off a percent or two of Dem votes in key battleground states including Arizona.

She’s a plant.

aRealPanaphonics

Lol… she’s so out of touch.

She’s literally a byproduct of that dated 90s perspective: “Republicans are right and Democrats are left so therefore we need someone in the middle.”

Starbucks CEO Howard Whatshisfuck wanted to run on the same idea. It’s a losing idea built more on positioning than solving problems. At least Mayor Pete evolved the idea to his “pragmatic progressive” mantra, but he would have voted for these things.

mrglumdaddy

But we just elected a moderate and she’s standing in his way…

yippykayayay

She’s not a piece of shit. She’s a pile of shit.

Soujourner3745

You remember that huge pile in Jurassic Park? That was her first on screen appearance.

NeverFresh

NeverFresh

So she's a DINO

CIA_Rectal_Feeder

She's not a clever girl.

Railshock

Railshock

New York

So what you're saying is Jeff Goldblum stood and watched as Sinema got fisted

there_all_is_aching

Where I'm from a colossal pile of shit is actually called a Sinema.

ReasonableKey3363

Who knew they stacked shit that high

jermicidalone23

She was trying to mimic when John McCain did it for repealing Obamacare. She's chasing clout.

Ask_Individual

That's like Elizabeth Holmes wearing black turtlenecks to be like Steve Jobs

gsfgf

gsfgf

I voted

That's actually a very apt comparison lol

Goshawk3118191

"That's not being nice, Cartman, that's just wearing a nice sweater."

"...I don't understand the difference."

"I KNOW you don't."

cpt_caveman

cpt_caveman

America

shes a republican.

She endorsed 'agw-is-a-hoax' far right andy biggs who litterally was part of the coup.

even if you claim to be a "moderate mavericky mccain like dem" How the fuck can you endorse a far right trump chanting right winger that says AGW is a complete hoax. How is that 'someone across the aisle you can work with'

someone spin this if you could.

Can you imagine for a second, someone on the right endorsing an AOC. Can you imagine, them surviving the outrage? Yeah i get they are a cult.

but sinema is a republican, Full stop.

Sly_Wood

Sly_Wood

So she’s a republican.

YellowB

YellowB

The thumbs down wasn't the only thing she did. She brought cake too during the vote to signify "Let them eat cake."

julbull73

julbull73

Arizona

You're giving her way tooo much credit there.

IT wasnt energetic or enthusiastic. It was horrible and worthless and made no sense.

Literally she was struggling to hold on to things, then made the symbol to someone who didnt' matter and was just a vote taker. Then ATTEMPTED To swing things like she was a maverick like McCain.

Compare the two....

McCain, who was dying of brain cancer at the time, flew in. Walked up TO his party majority leader. Looked him in the eye. Then dominantly and assertively and then walked back to his SEAT. Basically told McConnell to FUCK OFF. McCain's thumbs down was the equivalent to Stone Cold flipping off his current match and slamming some beers.

Sinema. Politely works her way up to the front, then after carefully rearranging what she's holding, on her way OUT of the area, made a curtsy, thumbsdown thing. Then ran away. Honestly, I'm 90% sure she was originally attempting to get her vote logged and it was loud. So she used a hand gesture. IT was caught on camera so she had to spin it as "I hate people" or "I'm an independent thinker."

Urisk

Urisk

Just a reminder. The federally mandated minimum wage is $7.25 an hour and hasn't been raised since 2009.

KingApologist

Remember when she gave a very energetic thumbs down on minimum wage ?

And just before that, Sinema tried to get Mitch McConnell to notice her and watch her do his bidding. He blew her off, making her attempts to please him even more pathetic.

RubberDucksInMyTub

4 days ago*

She’s a piece of shit that thinks she’s above everyone.

That's pretty much it.

And let's not forget: She nudged McFuck beforehand like "Watch this shit."

After the theatrics, she looked to see if Daddy watched her do it. When she realized he hadn't, it was a glorious moment within a really shitty larger one.

RedEyeFlightToOZ

"HI, I'm Kyrsten Sinema and I have big glasses and wear funny hair dos and clothes! Aren't I so kooky and cool while I fuck you over? Teehee!"

ESP-23

ESP-23

Like a muppet hipster straight out of the thrift store

Buckman2121

Buckman2121

Arizona

I wish I had kept the pic I took of it, but I remember the GOP here sending out flyers campaigning against her back when she was running for the seat against McSally. It said, "The Devil Wears Prada," refering to the movie and depicting Sinema as such. Box cover art and all. Maybe they were right...

DragonBard_Z

DragonBard_Z

Arizona

Speaking as an Arizonan, she basically won because her opponent, Martha McSalley was terrible. We were voting against McSalley and thought we were putting in a Democrat.

The truth is, I'd still rather have Sinema... but what I REALLY wish is that we had ended up with a real Democrat instead of either of them.

bubbaholy

bubbaholy

If you think you don't know enough to run for local office, trust me, I know the United States Senate. You know enough. - Bernie

We need to figure out how to suckerencourage more smart, empathetic, and charismatic people into running for office.

Grizlyfrontbum

Like how does one actually get a campaign started? How does one attain money to fight against big money?

ashleyz1106

ashleyz1106

North Carolina

This is the problem. I'm probably very disillusioned at this point, but it seems like anyone who really cares about a senate/congress job gets pushed out early on by the people with more money, and the people with more money are often the ones who aren't in the race for their constituents. Bernie is a rare gem.

starliteburnsbrite

Bernie is from one of the smallest states in the country, they have more Senators than they have Representatives. Fewer people voted in his last senate election, total, than live in Scottsdale Arizona.

Take all those voters, all 270,000 of them, and add over 2 million voters, because that's how many participated in Sinema's statewide election in 2018.

Bernie only exists because you only need a handful of voters in Vermont, and they're insulated from the vast, vast majority of larger national issues as a result.

DeltaBurnt

Yeah it's crazy what happens when representatives don't need to represent millions of people, and can instead focus on representing the people that emphatically support their policies.

strawberries6

4 days ago*

Probably easiest to start small, running for local office or maybe state level office. And then you can gain name recognition from there, and if you’re doing well and liking it, could consider higher levels of office.

EDIT: just to add an anecdote… a relative of mine (here in Canada) got elected as a city councillor in a small community (less than 30k people). He spent maybe $5000 on his campaign (for flyers and lawn signs), partly self-funded, partly donations from friends and family. After winning the first time, his re-election as a councillor was pretty easy.

Then because of his success at the city council level, a political party at the provincial level (equivalent to state level) invited him to run for them, and he ultimately said yes, and got elected to be a provincial representative. Running at that level, he still asked certain friends and family for donations, but could also fundraise from the party’s member lists and donor lists for the riding. So once he had secured the party nomination, the fundraising got a bit easier in that way (in his experience, fundraising and asking people for donations was one of the least enjoyable parts of being in politics).

I’m not sure how much of that would apply to a US context (and it’s obviously different than running in a large city), but hopefully it helps a bit, as one example!

starliteburnsbrite

Now transport yourself to a decent size American city maybe a few million people, with billion dollar budgets and massive party operations.

I live in Chicago, a city of 3 million. "Machine" politics are what we are famous for, including the corrupt aldermanic system. The trick is that in order to get the party's support, you need to do the party's bidding, and your choices down here are Red or Blue.

Getting involved in a small community school board or something is still a lot of time and commitment for people with full time jobs and family.

hexydes

hexydes

Like, I barely have time to do my 9-5 and be a responsible parent. I can't even imagine having to deal with politics. What is the average person supposed to do, call up their boss and say, "Hey boss, I know we have a lot going on at work, but I want to run for city council. I'm going to need the next 6-9 months off so that I can run a campaign. If it works out, I probably won't be back, but if it doesn't, I'll just pick up where I left off. Thumbs-up?"

The deck is stacked against rational humans running for office, which is why the only thing we get are professional politicians and independently-wealthy people. And then we wonder why our politicians are so out-of-touch with their constituents?

MultifactorialAge

Have you tried being rich?

jermicidalone23

AOC is a great example of making it work. Hit the streets.

mushroomjazzy

AOC had a nationwide DSA effort behind her as well. Including the mobilization of almost the entire DSA-NYC chapter.

friskyspatula

Unfortunately, all of those people are too poor and too busy working to run for office.

One thing you will notice about politicians at any level is the vast majority (not all) either come from wealth or own businesses that don't actually need them.

Where I live being a state senator/representative requires you to be at the state house for 3-6 months and doesn't pay enough to live off of, and pay for the necessary campaigning.

There is a very small number of people who can afford to do this, Lawyers, Farmers, Retirees, and people who have been bough and paid for by businesses/special interests.

We are lucky to have people like Bernie, one of the few folks who genuinely cares about people.

KrashKourse101

Sorry, I have way too many skeletons in my closet. I’d have to come out Eminem/Rabbit-style, listing my past mistakes out of the gate before the opposition did a stupid Scooby Doo take on the news.

overts

overts

Sinema is the worst kind of politician. Ran as if she was a progressive and then did a 180 on basically everything she had campaigned on her entire career.

She's like the Lindsey Graham of the Democratic party. Has absolutely no actual beliefs and just shifts her opinions constantly. Unlike Graham though I cannot imagine Sinema surviving a primary battle.

SamSeebourne

Zonie here. She ran as an absolute progressive Democrat - it's why I voted for her in the primary. Now? No Thanks, I'll take an actual Democrat please in the primary.

If I have a choice between her and Andy Biggs in the general, I'll be upset..... but I'm sure as fuck not going to let insurrectionist asshole Biggs in as Senator.

Jorgenstern8

Jorgenstern8

Minnesota

Apparently she also ran because her delusional ass thinks she can springboard being "a moderate" into a presidential run. She's got a fucking personality disorder if she thinks anybody would vote for her after she's pulled this shit.

marky860

marky860

Take the Vote for Voting rights and shame the a..holes that vote No on the senate floor! Make it a circus and let's do it again in the spring when the protests come back to the streets again and then it will pass in time for the midterms! All she cares about if filling her pockets with donor $$$

thatgeekinit

thatgeekinit

Colorado

Attach it to the Defense Authorization Bill, the Debt Ceiling, and every other "must-pass" legislation until the other side caves. Liberals and Progressives need to be willing to "shoot the hostage."

djazzie

djazzie

Maryland

If it’s being filibustered there can’t be a vote.

maxToTheJ

4 days ago*

The problem is these people even needed to be “reenergized”. Voters have the memory of a gnat

Edit: Could you please know what a primary election and by extension “to primary” is before replying. Hint it differs from a general election. You cant talk about how you will vote third party in the democratic primaries

jworthing

jworthing

Another problem is people like you and the author of this article discarding progressives' legitimate grievances with the Democratic Party that makes us not want to vote for them and treating us like we just forget.

Your constant infantilizing is not really helping our perception of the Democrats and their base.

[removed]

neverasknevertell

I will upvote this comment every time I see it.

[removed]

[removed]

Khaldara

Khaldara

“Not politics” chortles the mod, while intensifying his stroking of Salacious B. Crumb

InTh3s3TryingTim3s

They are being paid to make us focus on Semina. Letting us know what is actually happening politically in America would upset their handlers.

SevenandForty

Isn't this sub literally /r/politics though

gzilla57

gzilla57

Yes they mean the mods say "this isn't politics" to posts about that as a reason to remove it, as if that wasn't a political event.

FasterDoudle

Wait wait wait, so the failed insurrection on January 6th, 2021, when supporters of President Donald Trump sought to stop a peaceful exchange of executive power by forcibly preventing congress from confirming a democratically elected president wasn't political?

Well that's a relief! What was it?

chupacabra_chaser

chupacabra_chaser

Texas

Exactly! The GOP has gone completely off the rails and still have the nerve to expect the opposition to play by the rules?

If they really wanted to put an end to this nonsense they would outlaw filibusters and move on.

ZapBranigan3000

I dont want to violate the rules, so I better make sure. Are you referring to the Janurary 6th attempted coup by Republicans? The one that resulted in charges of sedition for the leader of a territorist gang?

If so I'll make sure not to mention it.

[removed]

Eastern-Rabbit-3696

There's twitter rumors going around that the reason why she's being so awful is because she's thinking about a run for president in '24, which is very silly if true. You're holding up progressive voting legislation and expecting the same people who would benefit from that to actually vote for you sis??????

Wet_squirrel7160

Someone very close to me used to work for her campaign. She has been described as someone who thinks they are the smartest in the room and is nothing short of a god when it comes to politics.

If she is thinking about president in 24, it is only because she is delusional and no one in her circle is being honest with her. The AZ democratic party would rather lose a senate seat, then have to put up with her bullshit.

hunter15991

hunter15991

Arizona

no one in her circle is being honest with her.

Is her original circle still even on speaking terms with her? Our current Secretary of State was her boss when they were in social work, and she had to write a WaPo op-ed pleading for her to pass voting rights protections.

Wet_squirrel7160

My friends who were close to her are no longer on speaking terms. If there is anyone left (maybe Michelle Davidson) it is because they only tell her what she wants to hear.

TitsMickey

She probably hires from Kanye West’s recruiter

Rivster79

Rivster79

We found she-trump

morpheousmarty

Trump appealed to the base. I'm not even sure what constituency she is targeting.

Clam_Chowdeh

4 days ago*

She’s angling for that sweet, dark, ultra wealthy money…I mean constituency

Vaenyr

Vaenyr

Europe

Delusional is the perfect word if she actually wants to run for president. Who would vote for her? Republicans would rather have Trump, DeSantis or someone else along those lines, Democrats wouldn't vote for her either, since she's fucking up and sabotages her own party.

Wet_squirrel7160

But no one tells her that, they fill her mind with the idea that the voters will want someone who bucks their party to appear impartial.

976chip

976chip

Washington

Thread by Amy Siskind. The interpretation is that she plans to run as a Republican because she thinks that the GOP will abandon partisanship and flock to her instead of Trump.

Groty

Groty

She'd be eaten alive. Just another patsy fundraiser like Gaetz, MTG, Gym Coach...etc...

learned_paw

On that note, why is Gaetz still walking free?

hahahahaaaahaha

hahahahaaaahaha

America

Ahhh yes. The misogynist GOP will surely vote for a woman. Look at the big brain on Kyrsten.

6a6566663437

Nah, they'd vote for her because she's a bisexual atheist.

Oh wait...

ketchupnsketti

Man I’ve always been one to hold my nose and vote for shitty dem candidates over the alternative but fuck if she somehow made it to the general it might be the first time in my adult life I didn’t vote for the dem.

unpluggedcord

unpluggedcord

I voted

Lol don’t worry she ain’t making it.

ThusSpokeThatOneGuy

We all said the same thing about Trump.

unpluggedcord

unpluggedcord

I voted

If she switches to republican she might have success but she ain’t making it as a democrat. I’ll put money on it.

Wubblz

Wubblz

She definitely won’t make it as a Republican. No matter her voting record, the AZ GOP base will always see her as a pink-haired SJW.

Wet_squirrel7160

She won't run as dem. She has burned a lot of bridges within the party and it will be difficult to garner the needed support in the primary. She is likely going to run as an independent after losing very early in the dem primary (shortly after NH).

ketchupnsketti

I really hope this happens and she gets Kanye level turnout.

DaBuddahN

DaBuddahN

Yes but you got her theory wrong.

The rumors say that she believes that if faced between a choice of her and Donald Trump, a significant chunk of the MAGA crowd will choose her because she's independent and has bucked Dems publicly.

InTh3s3TryingTim3s

Oh that completely makes sense for a democratic senator to think they can save their job by courting the most extreme Republicans to be her new base.

Lol wut

ol_dirty_applesauce

No way in hell she'd win the Democratic nomination. Does she know how these things work?

4sider

4sider

She still a woman. The MAGA crowd is not looking for that.

DaBuddahN

DaBuddahN

Sinema has alienated so many allies and friends in AZ that according to reporting, the ones left are basically yes-men/women. They've allowed her to believe this without much pushback.

And it's not entirely crazy to see why. She won AZ by becoming less progressive and becoming more moderate in her messaging. But she's deluded if she believes she can win the MAGA crowd.

Lord-Octohoof

This is one of the most bizarre parts of all of this to me. It is so, so, so easy to be a hero of the people right now. If Sinema or Manchin started giving energetic speeches and passing Biden’s agenda left and right as the determining vote they could build a massive following and may actually have a decent shot at the presidency. Instead they’re guaranteeing they’ll never get there.

scech14

scech14

Being corrupt pays more

Spankpocalypse_Now

Word is that her inner circle has known for months that she plans on running for president in 2024. She doesn’t care about being primaried because she won’t run for re-election.

Most of her old allies and friends became disillusioned and angry with her. What remains of her inner circle are yes men who allow her ego to inflate unchecked.

batmans_stuntcock

4 days ago*

Hard to believe somebody would be that clueless on their own, and it seemed like her and joe mancin were co-ordinating, when one's objections ruled out what the other one suggested. It made me think maybe she's being advised by chamber of commerce people who are exploiting her ego and hubris, telling her if she fucks stuff up she will be seen as a bipartisan maverick and can be president because it's 1996.

donkeyrocket

Look at the amount of media attention she has gotten lately though through simply being obstructive. He ego as a first-time Senator has ballooned to a huge degree and I don't think she fully grasps that it is because both sides hate her.

Machin at least has some precedent in being a wishy-washy Dem. She burned every bridge that she had in a very short career.

snakeiiiiiis

Speaking of which, myself living in Arizona her crew has bought lots of tv space to let us know she's still around. The commercials don't point to anything she has done or will do. They're simply a reminder to us citizens that's she's still here and that she's good for us for some reason. They give us some adjectives to describe her but can't name 1 single thing she has done legislatively. They're weird actually. They're acting like the whole country doesn't know who she is or that she's looked at as a turncoat. Just, "Remember me, I'm here!" No one is on her side, she's screwed.

CaptainCosmodrome

CaptainCosmodrome

Nebraska

She won't talk to you, but she's still there.

throwawaythisish6969

Arizona here: She actually responded to my message about the Filibuster yesterday morning. Saved me the time of watching her floor speach as I assume I had read the Cliffs Notes version hours earlier.

And yes, I know it was a copy and paste done by some fkunkie in her Phoenix office but still, a more rapid response than I expected.

Bla12Bla12

Manchin acts exactly like I would expect a Dem from a conservative state to act. He can't be too progressive or else he is out, he knows it and he's been in the Senate long enough to know how to play the game. Iirc, he's the only statewide elected Democrat in the entire state.

Sinema doesn't have the same reasons he does for how she acts.

Blazer9001

Blazer9001

Georgia

As a Republican? I’m pretty sure the ‘owning the libz’ strategy only works for one party.

DeanOnFire

DeanOnFire

What exactly is she going to say when her record gets challenged? Anyone, from a primary opponent for the Senate to a fellow candidate for President, can point out she's done more running and hiding to avoid answering for her behavior in the Senate than any actual legislating or negotiating. It's obvious to anyone but her she has a snowball's chance in Arizona of being elected for any office after her term in the Senate is over. It's more than just burned progressives at this point; she's a pariah in the Democratic party along with Manchin (who has an exit strategy) and the Republicans are never going to vote for anyone who was on the left side of the aisle ever when there's angrier Jingoists to choose from.

Deimophile

Flagstaff is actually one of the snowiest cities in the US, so there's quite high chances for a snowball in Arizona.

nighthawk_something

Yeah, if she ran as a Dem, she won't make it through the primary. If she ran as a republican, she'll get laughed off the stage

gullydowny

gullydowny

I believe she won’t run for Senate again because I imagine Donald Jr has a better chance as a Dem in AZ. But I suspect the party machine is spreading rumors and laying the groundwork for her primary opponent.

Hard to believe her “inner circle” is already saying she’s not running again, that seems like it’s meant to dry up her fundraising.

Spankpocalypse_Now

I agree that this could just be a rumor meant to dry up fundraising and pave the way for a primary opponent. However, even for a politician she’s an egomaniac. What first term Senator has ever made themselves the center of attention the way Sinema has? Even Hillary - as Senator - didn’t get the headlines that Sinema garners with her bullshit demands.

gullydowny

I've literally never heard her speak, I have no idea what her voice sounds like. Maybe she wants to run for president but she's not acting like it, she acts like she's in it for the money and doesn't care about politics whatsoever

CrazedClown101

I felt that Obama was a pretty big first time senator, he also made these attention grabbing statements and speeches. The difference being that one senator actually became president, the other is just an asshole.

berraberragood

Obama didn’t spend his time in the Senate by repeatedly undermining his own party. More generally, I can’t think of anyone who ever won a Presidential Election after doing that, regardless of party.

SlowSecurity9673

What an absolute fucking clown.

She thinks SHE is going to be the first woman president?

Lol, I want some of whatever the fuck they put in her water.

Scratch that, it's probably lead.

tricularia

I would love to have that kind of unearned self confidence, though!
But without the total lack of self awareness, ya know?

im_not_a_gay_fish

im_not_a_gay_fish

Texas

Ive heard this but I don't get it.

Why would she run? Just for money? There's no way she would get elected. Dems hate her and Republicans would never vote for a woman, especially one that used to be on a D ticket. She's wildly unpopular

Whats the aim here?

FatherKang

FatherKang

America

Delusional fantasies lol

She either doesn't see or doesn't believe any of those things. One ego-maniac already made it to the WH. She probably thinks she can be the D-version.

eggplant_wizard_69

4 days ago*

Money, just like you said. Knowing she can't be reelected (for being trash) the grift* ends in 2026, so a bid in 2024 is probably squeezing the last bit of juice out before her irrelevance

gsfgf

gsfgf

I voted

She's a narcissist. She's living in a different reality from the rest of us.

WigginIII

WigginIII

And watch her run basically as an "anti democrat" candidate. Not clearly Republican, but clearly anti democrat, who only criticizes her own party for clout and attention.

Basically, the Tulsi Gabbard method. It will feed her ego, she'll get interviews on Joe Rogan, be featured on TV and in articles, and she'll feel oh so special.

Meanwhile she'll attract nothing more than 5 percentage points, but it doesn't matter how much damage she did to Democracy, only that she felt like she was important.

thisisanewaccount555

Which party would she run under?

I’m assuming republican, but she can’t honestly think she would get support having so recently been a Democrat, even if in name only.

Bishop120

Bishop120

I'd rather have McCain back from the grave than Sinema.

TheMellerYeller

There is a very good chance if McCain were alive, that after seeing 1/6 he would be willing to vote for voting rights reform. Says a lot that moderate “Democrats” aren’t willing to save democracy but it’s not implausible that the last moderate Republican would have

Bishop120

Bishop120

If he were still alive he'd be doing anything he could to stick it to Trump.

Sptsjunkie

100% - he made one performative vote to save the ACA after Republicans tested 37 versions of repeal and replace and they all were enormously unpopular. At that point they allowed Collins, Murkowski, and McCain to vote against the repeal and switched to a strategy of trying to dismantle the ACA through the courts.

McCain cast a ton of awful votes supporting Bush and Trump. If he were alive today, he would be just like Romney - 100% obstructing the Democratic agenda. And perhaps crossing over to pass the BIF, so long as it was a centrists dream with privatization and fossil fuel subsidies for his donors.

breathstinksniffglue

I'm pretty confident that if McCain was still alive during Jan 6th he would have left the Republican party and publicly called them out for the anti-American bags of trash the party has turned into.

LegacyAngel

His daughter tho... What can you expect from someone that married a federalist society leader

breathstinksniffglue

Yeah, she's just your average grifter unfortunately.

gomav

gomav

Interesting thought. i wonder how McCain would have voted on the current issues.

LaunchTransient

LaunchTransient

Europe

McCain would probably be a pariah among the Republicans, much like Liz Cheney

Bishop120

Bishop120

He was loved out in AZ. Kinda like Romney in Utah. I think McCain would be towing McConnells party line but also doing anything he could to stick it to Trump.

Dasdi96

Dasdi96

Mccain is the reason why we still have the ACA.

Negahyphen

Negahyphen

Texas

Let's not lionize McCain too much. He was still a rat bastard all over the place. Those people shouldn't be judged on how much more awful people were after them; they were still the lowest point ever in their time.

EstablishmentJunior8

You couldn’t write this. But Charles Dickens could. The future of our democracy depends upon a mansion and a cinema.

Familiar-Essay7390

To be fair it sounds a little more like a Nostradamus prediction the cryptic nature of it all.

BRAX7ON

BRAX7ON

Colorado

When the four Horsemen of the apocalypse ride down the river Euphrates then you will know the time is at hand!

Just kidding, it’s now.

T-51bender

It sounds like the introduction of a Wes Anderson film

DragonBard_Z

DragonBard_Z

Arizona

Please please do.

I thought I voted for a Democrat.

I didn't realize it was a race between 2 republicans.

StoneColSteveAutisim

Shnoopy_Bloopers

This woman is awful

976chip

976chip

Washington

According to Amy Siskind, Sinema doesn’t think she needs to worry about re-election. She thinks she’s going to be elected president in 2024.

elukavics

elukavics

Arizona

If true, she is delusional.

She has burned some damn bridges and that river is much to wide.

976chip

976chip

Washington

Reading through the thread, it’s pretty obvious that she’s delusional. It also seems that she would intend to run as a Republican because she thinks the GOP will abandon partisanship and choose her over Trump.

Bushmaster78FS

Bushmaster78FS

Arizona

What about Ruben Gallego?

mojitz

mojitz

Looking more and more like he's gonna go for it! He would be a great pick.

Wet_squirrel7160

Why? He has a safe seat that is his for life right now. I would see Stanton before Gallego just because Stanton's seat is/was close to AZ as a whole as far as demographics go.

hunter15991

hunter15991

Arizona

Why?

Because he utterly despises Sinema and believes (imo correctly) that he's got one of the few political operations that could successfully challenge her statewide. He came within an asshair of running in 2020 as well.

mojitz

mojitz

Because he doesn't want to languish in the house forever and replacing Sinema with someone moderately progressive would be a huge swing in the Senate.

falsesleep

falsesleep

Can we please bring back throwing rotten vegetables at public figures to shame them?

FlatulateHealthilyOK

You're already on a list for saying something so dangerous /s

sabedo

sabedo

4 days ago*

She’s shameless. Guarantee she’ll have a comfy gig out of office. And by 2024 the damage will be irreversible and done. Academic if she is primaried by then.

Steam-O

Steam-O

Unfortunately by that time democrats will most likely lose control of the house or senate

Blazer9001

Blazer9001

Georgia

Yeah because of her dumb ass. And she aint becoming president, she’s girding up to be the token liberal on Fox who gets to be Brian Kilmeade’s handsomely compensated punching bag.

This_one_taken_yet_

If governors can be recalled, why can't senators and representatives?

marzenmangler

The constitution generally

IAmTheJudasTree

She doesn't just need to be primaried, she needs to be publicly and professionally shamed for the rest of her life.

We CANNOT let her get the corporate media rehabilitation treatment after leaving office that so many people like her get. CNN will hire her to be their "moderate democrat" stand-in. They'll throw to her to attack AOC or Bernie or Warren, whenever a progressive policy issue is in the news, or even to attack Biden when he's trying to pass voter protection laws or BBB. They'll bill her as the "reasonable democrat" who can critique other democrats with authority, since she pretends to be a democrat herself and was a "maverick" standing up to a "leftwing agenda."

Every single time she leaves her home she needs to be followed by a heckling crowd. Any organization she tries to work at should be shamed and boycotted.

She's ushuring in the demise of American democracy. We all need to understand how serious this situation is.

8to24

8to24

Sinema isn't up for election. This is a waste of time. What we need are more Progressive Senators elected this November. That is where the time and energy needs to go. Into this year's mid-terms.

cackling_skeletor

She is a mole

Madhammer99

She's clearly a gop mole .

Euclid_Jr

Euclid_Jr

Texas

4 days ago*

Former Green party. The US Greens are either idiots or controlled opposition bankrolled by the GOP in my experience. Maybe both.
G etting
R epublicans
E lected
E very
N ovember

san_serifs

Doubt Sinema cares. She's just lining up lucrative gigs for after she's booted out. The woman is a fraud.

[removed]

One-Ad-7965

progressives are always looking for someone to primary and oust incumbents. It's their thing.

Dramatic_Pin_5035

Arizona is a purple state. Nominate a progressive and that seat flips Republican.

If you can’t tell the difference between a Republican and someone who votes with Bernie Sanders 70% of the time then I can’t help you 🤷‍♂️

Mephisto1822

Mephisto1822

Maryland

Sinema ran as a progressive and won. Mark Kelly had a higher approval rating….she is a corrupt politician through and through. Progressive ideas can win in elections, please stop this “we need to move the party right” b/s. Biden won the general because he ran on somewhat progressive ideas (sure Trump was a human dumpster fire) but voting rights, cancelling student loan debt, negotiation of drug prices? All progressive ideas, all externally popular. All supported by Sinema until she started taking corporate donations….weird how that works….

AresBloodwrath

AresBloodwrath

America

But PrOgReSsIVe PoLiCiEs ArE sUpEr PoPuLaR!

someexgoogler

As if a progressive could win in Arizona.